1. Michael Essany's Avatar


    As MMi reported Monday, the family of a 23-year old woman from Northwest China is claiming that she died after getting electrocuted while trying to answer a call on her iPhone as it was charging.

    Tragically, the headlines at the end of the week mirror those at the beginning.

    On Friday, Chinese news agencies began reporting that 30-year-old Wu Jiantong fell into a coma after sustaining an electric shock while trying to charge his iPhone 4.

    Wu Jiantong's sister, according to China.org, said her brother collapsed after connecting his 2-year-old iPhone 4 to a charger. "He shouted 'electric shock' and then fell on the ground," Wu Jianxiang recalls. From there, she describes how her injured brother began experiencing what sounds like convulsions.

    She said she also felt a slight electric shock from her arm to the tips of her toes when she tried to unplug the charger. Doctors at a nearby hospital said the victim's heart had stopped but they managed to resuscitate him. He was unconscious and in the intensive care unit.
    All signs, for now, point to the culprit in this sad case being a non-original 3rd party charger, which may have provoked the near-fatal electrocution.

    Source: China.org
    2013-07-19 07:10 PM
  2. ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Fried watermelon?
    2013-07-19 07:17 PM
  3. steve-z17's Avatar
    Well there's nothing they can do to Apple if they were using a 3rd party charger. Hopefully everything turns out ok. I didn't realize the knock offs could be so dangerous, I have like 4-6 of them....maybe I'll stop using them.
    2013-07-19 07:24 PM
  4. MooShoo's Avatar
    "As MMi reported Monday, the family of a 23-year old woman from Northwest China is claiming that she died after getting electrocuted while trying to answer a call on her iPhone as it was charging."

    How does a woman who claimed she died, live to tell about it? Just curious.
    Last edited by MooShoo; 2013-07-19 at 07:42 PM.
    2013-07-19 07:40 PM
  5. spiderguy84's Avatar
    "As MMi reported Monday, the family of a 23-year old woman from Northwest China is claiming that she died after getting electrocuted while trying to answer a call on her iPhone as it was charging."

    How does a woman who claimed she died, live to tell about it? Just curious.
    She didn't claim. Read your own quote. The FAMILY claimed this
    2013-07-19 07:50 PM
  6. Rcworship's Avatar
    She didn't claim. Read your own quote. The FAMILY claimed this
    So funny when people are trying to be smart, but wind up showing the oposite!
    2013-07-19 07:55 PM
  7. Carvensno's Avatar
    Well there a good reason why any Manufacturer(Not just Apple)tell you to use certified compatible accessories with there product. People need to start reading and paying attention when buying stuff.
    2013-07-19 08:01 PM
  8. Zamphire's Avatar
    All signs, for now, point to the culprit in this sad case being a non-original 3rd party charger, which may have provoked the near-fatal electrocution.
    I tell every one I know not to use cheap *** 3rd party chargers. I care too much about my $700 device to risk it on a $5 charger, but now, apparently there's evidence that you're also risking your life.
    2013-07-19 08:31 PM
  9. orgy9111's Avatar
    Everyone wants to make money of apple, such low-lifes. First the lawyer with his porn, then electrocution, wonder what's next...
    iPhone made me kill???
    2013-07-19 08:33 PM
  10. GnatGoSplat's Avatar
    Those knockoff chargers are usually very poorly designed. I had 3 knockoff chargers and each only lasted about a month each. They also had some weird condition where the touchscreen would respond very erratically to touch when plugged it. I hypothesize that it's because of very poor isolation causing some of the AC signal to ride on the DC ground output and causing interference with the capacitive touchscreen.
    2013-07-19 08:37 PM
  11. AGIAMIU's Avatar
    Ha Ha so funny how the dead women claimed her own electrocution?!?! And who knows that was a real iPhone or one of the many fake sold on the mainland China. I totally agree with cheap after-market chargers.
    2013-07-19 08:39 PM
  12. jose060789's Avatar
    Why is it only China?
    Sent from my iPhone 4.
    2013-07-19 08:42 PM
  13. steve-z17's Avatar
    Ha Ha so funny how the dead women claimed her own electrocution?!?! And who knows that was a real iPhone or one of the many fake sold on the mainland China. I totally agree with cheap after-market chargers.
    She didn't claim her own electrocution...you need to get your facts straight, someone even posted about this exact thing above^^

    Here's what it says: THE FAMILY of a 23-year old woman from Northwest China is claiming that she died after getting electrocuted
    2013-07-19 08:51 PM
  14. Norb's Avatar
    Why is it only China?
    Ever heard of the phrase "cheap Chinese knock-off"?
    2013-07-19 08:54 PM
  15. spiderguy84's Avatar
    She didn't claim her own electrocution...you need to get your facts straight, someone even posted about this exact thing above^^

    Here's what it says: THE FAMILY of a 23-year old woman from Northwest China is claiming that she died after getting electrocuted
    Thank you. Ridiculous how some people on here apparently don't know how to read.
    2013-07-19 09:12 PM
  16. sepelcure's Avatar
    Wait! Someone died from iPhone electrocution and now they are alive again and going to sue Apple for infringing on another devices patent for near death experiences??

    Just kidding... Needed a laugh today!
    2013-07-19 10:07 PM
  17. slim.jim's Avatar
    I'm sorry but I LOL'd when I read that he yelled "electric shock". I have been shocked many times by unfiltered 120v current on a 15A line and never once have I yelled anything but ow. It happens so fast. This story smells of even more bs than the last one.
    2013-07-19 10:12 PM
  18. budsalinger's Avatar
    She didn't claim her own electrocution...you need to get your facts straight, someone even posted about this exact thing above^^

    Here's what it says: THE FAMILY of a 23-year old woman from Northwest China is claiming that she died after getting electrocuted
    I believe the poster you are responding to was confusing the two stories. The man in a coma shouted, "ELECTRIC SHOCK", but this person is attributing that to the dead woman claiming to have been electrocuted.

    Question: If someone is being electrocuted aren't they effectively paralyzed? If the guy could shout out about being shocked why then couldn't he let go or step back? Those cords are so short even if he fell it would have unplugged.
    2013-07-19 10:40 PM
  19. politicalslug's Avatar
    To answer the earlier post: yes, you are effectively paralyzed when electrocuted. That means you can't speak or even let go of the plug that's shocking you. Either the sister imagined she heard the brother say that or the story is fabricated. Either way wouldn't surprise me.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
    2013-07-19 11:01 PM
  20. bigboyz's Avatar
    This is getting out of hand. If you can afford an iPhone why would you buy cheap knock offs anyway? Its like putting a hallmark next to a Picasso..come on man!
    2013-07-19 11:17 PM
43 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD