On Tuesday, Apple was awarded a patent by the U.S. Patent and Trademark office for curved touch surfaces.

Currently Apple’s iOS device lineup, iPods, and Mac multi-touch track pads all use flat touch surfaces. But as the patent appears to show, Apple certainly has an interest in curved touch surfaces.

It’s unknown what kind of technology Apple might wish to implement such a feature in, but it might make a good feature for the rumored iWatch, which would wrap around the natural curvature of a person's wrist. There have also been some interesting concepts of the iPhone with a curved display, such as the one below, which our Akshay Masand covered last month:

As AppleInsider reports, the patent also includes details for displays that have multiple curves, and not just one. The idea that such technology is being worked on makes the mind wonder what Apple could possibly be experimenting with and what the future of touch devices may bring.

Sources: AppleInsider
    2013-12-10 06:03 PM
    That curved Iphone is dumb... Jus sayin
    2013-12-10 09:12 PM
    I love how it's always they were "awarded" a patent. YAY, YOU WIN. You get to stifle innovation and creativity across the mobile world. THANKS APPLE, YOU'RE GREAT.
    2013-12-10 10:55 PM
    That curved iPhone look ugly and I sure hope it doesn't comes out like that.....
    2013-12-11 12:11 AM
    So 3 curved display devices are already on the market so should we expect the usual from Apple......lawsuits?
    2013-12-11 12:36 AM
    I dunno. Out of those 3 devices. How many of them have patents on their curved display? Lol
    2013-12-11 04:09 AM
    None if them. Haha, start forking over the dough! I love Apple.

Check out WW3 for iOS 9/10 - Widget-Weather 3.0
    2013-12-11 05:44 AM
    Besides..curves..wearable tech..watches..hmm see where they are going here
    2013-12-11 07:25 AM
    I dunno. Out of those 3 devices. How many of them have patents on their curved display? Lol
    Actually I believe it could come down to prior art? If the other phones were in development before the patent was filed (and can be proven to have been) then I don't see where Apple would have a leg to stand on.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.
    2013-12-11 09:34 AM
    Well right on. Having a great idea. Having produced that idea. And having a patent on an idea. Are 3 different things And honestly I was just messing with the android troll bro lol.
    2013-12-11 02:10 PM
    I love how it's always they were "awarded" a patent. YAY, YOU WIN. You get to stifle innovation and creativity across the mobile world. THANKS APPLE, YOU'RE GREAT.
    LOL!!! It's amazing and revolutionary!
    2013-12-11 03:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD