1. Anthony Bouchard's Avatar


    A 14-year old student from Kennebunk, Maine has reportedly received second-degree burns from a faulty iPhone 5c that caught fire while it was in her pocket in the middle of her middle-school class. Above, are the remains of the green-colored iPhone 5c, which you can see, are destroyed and no longer functional.

    The student's pants reportedly caught on fire from the burning iPhone 5c, and they needed to be removed from the student after she had performed 'stop, drop, and roll' to try and suffocate the flames. As the Morning Sentinel reports, 911 was called, and the student was taken to a hospital and given medical attention following the incident.

    According to Andrew Rosenstein, the owner of a nearby Apple device repair shop, the lithium-ion battery that powers these devices was probably to blame:

    There’s basically a lithium-ion type rechargeable battery built in (to an iPhone). The battery, as it charges and discharges, it’s really a chemical reaction that can generate heat. It’s very rare there can be an issue, but any battery is just a chemical composition that can be flammable in extreme circumstances.
    While rare, there is always the possibility that a lithium-ion battery, inside of any device (not just Apple's), can fail and cause one of these catastrophes.

    The 14-year old student is okay and was encouraged by medical personnel to go home for the rest of the day even though she had wanted to return to school following the 45-minute hospital visit.

    Sources: Morning Sentinel via 9to5Mac
    2014-02-03 06:21 PM
  2. fleurya's Avatar
    0.000001% is about the number of 5C phone catching fire, yet the Fandroids on other blogs are feasting on this as a prime example of why Apple is terrible...

    All the while forgetting about those Galaxy phones catching fire a year or two ago, and all the lame excuses they made for it.
    2014-02-03 06:45 PM
  3. luvmytj's Avatar
    I am actually surprised there aren't more stories like this from all sorts of devices. I am also an RC hobbyist and the batteries can be finicky. It doesn't take much to make them unstable. The low incidence of this happening shows there is a strong quality control system in place.
    2014-02-03 06:50 PM
  4. Zokunei's Avatar
    The student's pants reportedly caught on fire
    Heh.
    2014-02-03 07:01 PM
  5. sknet's Avatar
    student pants inside might be 150degree hot
    2014-02-03 07:41 PM
  6. Jahooba's Avatar
    I am actually surprised there aren't more stories like this from all sorts of devices. I am also an RC hobbyist and the batteries can be finicky. It doesn't take much to make them unstable. The low incidence of this happening shows there is a strong quality control system in place.
    The quality of the battery is probably greater, but also it's attached to a very powerful computer that can constantly monitor its state. An RC toy usually doesn't have that.

    Regardless, I hope Apple refunds her money and gives her a new iPhone
    2014-02-03 07:52 PM
  7. crusader281's Avatar
    Can someone say cha Ching $$$$
    2014-02-03 07:55 PM
  8. jrrtps's Avatar
    doesn´t matter about the number, if the problem exist must be fix that´s all......
    2014-02-03 08:05 PM
  9. flash66's Avatar
    Anyone that tuned on a tv since Friday has already heard about this. Like picking up Fridays paper from the trash on Monday to read.
    Last edited by flash66; 2014-02-03 at 08:14 PM.
    2014-02-03 08:11 PM
  10. XweAponX's Avatar
    0.000001% is about the number of 5C phone catching fire, yet the Fandroids on other blogs are feasting on this as a prime example of why Apple is terrible...

    All the while forgetting about those Galaxy phones catching fire a year or two ago, and all the lame excuses they made for it.
    Your right, the cult of droiders will make this a big issue
    2014-02-03 08:14 PM
  11. zachfawaz's Avatar
    Should've paid extra for the 5S
    2014-02-03 08:32 PM
  12. Cmds187's Avatar
    w0w another lawsuit they got it
    2014-02-03 08:34 PM
  13. Christophxr's Avatar
    When I saw this article, the very first thing I expected was yet another jank-***, fake iPhone causing problems in China.

    Glad the girl's all right.
    2014-02-03 08:43 PM
  14. thaforgottenone's Avatar
    read somewhere else that she had her iPhone in the back pocket as she sat down.
    2014-02-03 10:25 PM
  15. slim.jim's Avatar
    I think she told a lie and the phone got burnt because her pants caught on fire. ::rimshot
    2014-02-03 10:48 PM
  16. Spazmonic's Avatar
    read somewhere else that she had her iPhone in the back pocket as she sat down.
    If she turns it off and back on it should be fine.
    2014-02-03 10:56 PM
  17. Perceptum's Avatar
    This article is incorrect. According to the Associated Press, the phone was NOT faulty, but it was in her back pocket when she sat down the iPhone physically broke.
    2014-02-03 11:00 PM
  18. tridley68's Avatar
    Should've paid extra for the 5S

    True Dat.
    2014-02-03 11:26 PM
  19. ThatOneProfile's Avatar
    Regardless of who's at fault here, I smell a lawsuit.
    2014-02-04 12:10 AM
  20. xWalmartCandyx's Avatar
    I smell a lawsuit coming...
    2014-02-04 01:00 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD