Have you ever wanted to save an animated GIF image file as your Lock Screen or Home Screen wallpaper, or both, in iOS? Now you can, with a new jailbreak tweak called GIFPaper by iOS developer Adam N. Smith.

GIFPaper will allow you to easily go out on the Web, find an animated GIF image that you want to set as your wallpaper, and apply it. With the tweak installed, just go out and find yourself a nice animated GIF image that you want to use, and then tap and hold on it. You will get a new button that says "Set Wallpaper" that you can tap on to set the animated GIF image as your wallpaper. When you tap on it, you will get a pop-up that says your wallpaper has been set:

The tweak also adds a preferences pane to the Settings application where you can configure a number of options for the tweak:

Options include enabling or disabling the tweak on demand, setting a specific Web URL to a GIF image as your wallpaper, choosing to set the wallpaper for just your Home Screen, just your Lock Screen, or both, and the ability to scale the wallpaper to fit the screen, scale the wallpaper to fill the entire screen, or make the wallpaper full-screen without scaling.

The tweak seems to place the GIF image over your existing wallpaper, so if you don't scale it right, it can sometimes appear distorted or somewhat ugly. There is also sometimes a little bugginess with the preferences pane in the Settings application. It can also have an impact on battery life due to the nature of animated wallpapers. On the other hand, if you'd like to give GIFPaper a try, it's available in Cydia's BigBoss repository right now for just $1.00. The tweak does require iOS 7 to be installed.

Name: GIFPaper
    Price: $1.00
    Version: 1.0-48
    Requirements: iOS 7.0-7.0.6
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 7.0.6
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Adam N. Smith
    Editor's Rating:  4/5
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-05-19 at 02:03 AM.
    2014-05-18 10:32 PM
    Tried this out yesterday. Not bad but trying to change any settings like the scale caused my settings to crash and wouldn't change it on my 5s.
    2014-05-19 01:38 AM
    Tried this out yesterday. Not bad but trying to change any settings like the scale caused my settings to crash and wouldn't change it on my 5s.
    Try killing the Settings app and respringing .
    2014-05-19 01:42 AM
    how bad is this on battery life? actual data please, not speculations
    2014-05-19 01:43 AM
    Try killing the Settings app and respringing .
    Tried that and rebooting. Maybe it's a 5s issue. Didn't try it on my i4 yet.
    2014-05-19 01:44 AM
    Tried that and rebooting. Maybe it's a 5s issue. Didn't try it on my i4 yet.
    I had the same problem on my iPhone 5, but fixed it with the above fix. Reboot didn't work for me, but a respring did.
    2014-05-19 02:01 AM
    I had the same problem on my iPhone 5, but fixed it with the above fix. Reboot didn't work for me, but a respring did.
    Thx. Will try that again if I put this back on. Right now busy playing with SBHTML
    2014-05-19 02:04 AM
    Thx. Will try that again if I put this back on. Right now busy playing with SBHTML
    Okie dokie. Contact me directly via iMessage if it still doesn't work for you.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-05-19 at 02:42 AM.
    2014-05-19 02:11 AM
    Okey dokie. Contact me directly via iMessage if it still doesn't work for you.
    Cool, thx man.
    2014-05-19 02:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD