The weather looks clear ahead for Apple's forthcoming iOS 8 weather app.

As we've all realized for some time now, Apple has grown removed from Yahoo as a provider of data in its native iOS weather app. Beginning this fall, the Weather Channel will provide Apple with all of the weather-related data it needs.

And it sounds like the Weather Channel has soundly thumped Yahoo in this effort - a logical understanding given that the Weather Channel was providing Yahoo with the weather data it then provided to Apple. The new arrangement makes things a little easier.

"To convince Apple to make the shift and cut Yahoo out of the middle, the Weather Channel added a lot more technology and information to the offering that it does not provide to Yahoo," Kara Swisher of Re/Code explained Friday. "That includes more weather specificity related to the location of a user, a nine-day forecast (up from five), a weather-conditions summary and more."

Although the new arrangement works out well for Apple and the Weather Channel, Swisher said the obvious today in that Yahoo is still struggling to win the affection from Apple that Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer has been hoping for.

Source: Re/Code
    2014-06-20 11:44 PM
    Great!
    2014-06-21 04:53 AM
    Lets hope it won't be the same disaster that happened when Apple ditched Google maps
    2014-06-21 08:20 AM
    Lets hope it won't be the same disaster that happened when Apple ditched Google maps
    What?? That's totally different LOL

Apple was coming up with their own maps app. All they have done is cut out the middle man (Yahoo) to get the main weather feed now.

So instead of TWC-> Yahoo-> Weather app

Now TWC-> Weather app

There's nothing disastrous about it.
    2014-06-21 08:33 AM
    I've been using the Weather channel app since I had an iPhone. Yahoo weather sucks and was consistently wrong compared to more reputable weather apps such as TWC.
    2014-06-21 05:19 PM
    I have always used the weather channel app. Many probably don't know this but all airlines go by the weather channel as well

Sent from my iPad using ModMyi
    2014-06-21 09:46 PM
    I've been using the Weather channel app since I had an iPhone. Yahoo weather sucks and was consistently wrong compared to more reputable weather apps such as TWC.
    +1 I hate yahoo weather too

Sent from my iPad using ModMyi
    2014-06-22 05:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD