If you have a need to download files from the Internet on your iOS device(s), whether it's an iPhone, iPod touch, or an iPad, then check out a new jailbreak application made available for free in Cydia's ModMyi repository called Media Downloader by iOS developer mobileapps.

With this application, you'll be able to browse for, or enter, the URL of a Web site with a file that you want to download, and then tap on the download button to initiate the download sequence. The download will then begin, and you'll be able to keep track of your downloads from the application's "Downloads" tab. Information will be shown, such as the file name, the file size, the transfer speed, and more.

When the download completes, you'll find it under the "Files" tab. If your file is a media file, you can play it from the Media Downloader application, but if it's a different kind of file and you intend to use it in another way, you can tap on the file and you'll get the options to delete the file, preview the file, or open the file in another application.

One thing we did notice is that if you want to open the file in another application, iFile isn't an option. On the other hand, you can open the file in Dropbox, which can then be linked to iFile, so you do have somewhat of a link between Media Downloader and iFile if you have a Dropbox account.

From the "Settings" tab, you'll find yourself with some options to configure:

From here, you can configure FTP file transfer, Web file transfer, a home page URL, the default search engine, enable or disable AdBlock, clear the application's cookies and cache, and finally see the available disk space on your device.

Media Downloader looks like a nice way to quickly download files from the Internet on your iOS device and save them to your filesystem or use them later for something else. Once files are downloaded, no Internet connection is required to preview the files.

If you want to give the application a try, you can download it for free right now from Cydia's ModMyi repository.

Name: Media Downloader
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.1
    Requirements: iOS 7.0-7.1.2
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1.2
    Repo: ModMyi
    Developer: mobileapps
    Editor's Rating: / 4.5/5

You can watch our video review of Media Downloader below:

2014-08-21 08:37 PM
    Ty
    2014-08-22 04:45 AM
    This is useless. U can always download Safari Download Manager or a broswer with built in download manager (i recommend Dolphin). Both options will natively allow u to open the files in ifile
    2014-08-22 07:45 AM
    can it save videos from drop box to my camera roll some video in my Dropbox won't let me
    Last edited by Cmds187; 2014-08-29 at 05:08 AM.
    2014-08-22 09:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD