A slew of new job listings suggest that the Cupertino California company is continuing to work on building support for Voice Over LTE (VoLTE) into the iOS device lineup. For those of you who didn’t know, VoLTE is designed to allow carriers to send voice calls over LTE networks alongside data-based calls. What does this exactly mean for you? High quality voice calls and faster call connection times. Furthermore, those on CDMA networks such as Sprint and Verizon will benefit even more, as it allows simultaneous use of data and voice, which is something that isn’t currently possible.

The job openings call for positions such as a Cellular Systems Protocol Engineer and Senior Baseband Audio Engineer. The protocol engineer position requires candidates to have hands-on experience with VoLTE alongside varying other wireless technologies. The senior position also requires experience with several technologies but specifically asks for experience with the VoLTE specification as well. More or less, all of the positions basically required experience with VoLTE or something that directly relates to it, indicating Apple has intentions of utilizing the technology.

For those of you who aren’t aware, VoLTE is currently in the very early stages of a rollout, with full implementation hinging on support from both carriers and manufacturers. As of right now US carriers have already begun to explore and invest in VoLTE technology. Verizon Wireless was among the first to announce plans to roll out Voice Over LTE in 2014, promising its subscribers “an HD voice experience.” Other carriers such as AT&T and T-Mobile have also announced support for VoLTE on a limited number of devices and in a limited number of markets, promising higher quality calls. As growth in the US continues, countries around the world are also beginning to offer support for the new technology.

We’ll have to see how Apple’s efforts progress the technology in iOS devices and we’ll have to patiently wait for its possible implementation.

Source: LightReading via GigaOm

Twitter: @AkshayMasand
    2014-08-22 03:17 AM
    You want voice over LTE? Get a google voice number. Then download the Hangouts app for iOS. You can use Hangouts to make voice calls with your LTE connection that way. The only drawback is that it obviously uses up your Data....BUT it's a really cool workaround if you need simultaneous voice and data on your iPhone in a CDMA environment. Tested on Verizon iPhone 5 iOS 7.1.1 WORKS!
    2014-08-22 04:24 AM
    You want voice over LTE? Get a google voice number. Then download the Hangouts app for iOS. You can use Hangouts to make voice calls with your LTE connection that way. The only drawback is that it obviously uses up your Data....BUT it's a really cool workaround if you need simultaneous voice and data on your iPhone in a CDMA environment. Tested on Verizon iPhone 5 iOS 7.1.1 WORKS!
    Or use FaceTime audio. Same thing but built into iOS. It sounds like all devices aren't going to but supported right out of the gate.
    2014-08-22 03:25 PM
    Not everyone owns an Iphone so FaceTime audio isn't the solid choice...
    2014-08-22 03:49 PM
    Some people don't care to use anything Google related; either by personal preference or because we don't want Google having all of our information. Information is power, and owning all of your information gives someone, or some company, incredible power over you. that's why I purposefully spread my internet presence across as many competing businesses as possible.

I use Google for one or two things, but more and more they are pushing people to sign on for all of their services. No thanks.

I wish Apple would jsut buy one of the smaller telecoms and create some real competition in the sector. I like that T-Mobile is pushing the envalope a little, but I think it could go much further.
    2014-08-22 04:29 PM
    Wow, still no voice over LTE for Verizon. I figured that "bug" would have been fixed.
    2014-08-25 09:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD