Samsung recently released a short commercial where its water-resistant Galaxy S5 smartphone took the “ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.” The commercial was voiced entirely by the Galaxy S5’s S-Voice digital personal assistant which stated the following:

I am the Samsung Galaxy S5, this is my ice bucket challenge. Gosh that's freezing.
    It continued by nominating Apple’s iPhone 5S and its other competitors to do the same.

For those of you who didn’t already notice, Samsung has been boasting about it’s handset’s waterproof housing as one of its key features. This was a pretty witty way for the South Korean tech giant to advertise the feature as well. As is the custom for the challenge, Samsung will also be making a donation to the British Motor Neurone Disease charity. One of Samsung’s UK’s advertising agency executives told AdAge that this was the “perfect opportunity for the brand to do something that was meaningful but also unexpected.”

Samsung’s Galaxy S5 has joined several celebrities and executives who have also taken the event. For those of you who are unaware of what the challenge is, nominated participants are to be filmed having a bucket of ice water poured on their heads, after which they can challenge others to do the same. One of the common stipulations for the challenge is that nominated people have 24 hours to comply or forfeit by way of a charitable donation to the cause.

What did you think of Samsung’s commercial?

Source: Samsung Mobile UK (

Twitter: @AkshayMasand
    2014-08-22 10:39 PM
    Clever, but I'll still never buy a Samsung phone.
    2014-08-22 11:05 PM
    Wow! My malware attracting device is waterproof!
    2014-08-22 11:20 PM
    STUPID!!!!! I have had every iPhone since the 3G and have never had to worry about it being waterproof or water resistant
    2014-08-22 11:42 PM
    I was expecting this to be funnier and to see more water...

Oh well, clever tactic nonetheless.

STUPID!!!!! I have had every iPhone since the 3G and have never had to worry about it being waterproof or water resistant
    I'm in the same boat as you EXCEPT I had one incident of water damage to my wife's iPhone because my son (as a toddler) got a hold of it and sucked on the bottom, LOL!!! So, technically, it was saliva damaged!

6 months later it turned back on and I was able to sell it on eBay!
    Last edited by thazsar; 2014-08-23 at 12:19 AM.
    2014-08-23 12:15 AM
    Wow, they never stop advertising.
    2014-08-23 12:22 AM
    Wow, they never stop advertising.
    They make five commercials to every one Apple commercial; sort of like their phones!
    2014-08-23 01:11 AM
    Hilarious!!! I have both iphone 5s and samsung phones. Would love to see the iphone take the challenge and make a donation
    2014-08-23 01:51 AM
    I love the way apple ignores them,I hope they don't stoop to their level.
    Funny commercial tho but ios will always be my daily phone while my samsung be my once In a blue toy
    2014-08-23 04:06 AM
    And more water is wasted!! I would drown all of these inconsiderate people doing this, just fking donate and that's it, DON'T waste anymore water damn it!!!!! No kidding though, I would drown these people (almost) to teach them a lesson.

On another note…rocking my jailbroken 5S, would never use an android device, just don't like them. But what I despise even more than an android phone is an UNjailbroken iDevice.
    2014-08-23 05:38 AM
    Fanboys are sickening. 5S great phone, yes but seriously how can it be made any worse by being waterproofed?
    Two years from now when the iPhone 7 is out and waterproofed these same people saying, ‘STUPID!!!!!’, will be saying, ‘……..well Apple took their time and did it right. You don’t want it waterproof as the logic board gets dry and brittle it needs the small amount of moisture that’s provided from the atmosphere’.
    2014-08-23 11:17 AM
    Nice idea but no problem for any iPhone: Both my iPhone 4 and 5 survived a real bath (some seconds completely under water) and still running fine. Samsung, your inferiority complex sucks !
    2014-08-23 03:37 PM
    Yeah I can't count how many times I needed or wish my iPhone was partially waterproof, because it's 0 times.
    2014-08-23 05:49 PM
    Fanboys are sickening. 5S great phone, yes but seriously how can it be made any worse by being waterproofed?
    Two years from now when the iPhone 7 is out and waterproofed these same people saying, ‘STUPID!!!!!’, will be saying, ‘……..well Apple took their time and did it right. You don’t want it waterproof as the logic board gets dry and brittle it needs the small amount of moisture that’s provided from the atmosphere’.
    LOL, so true! I love iphone but waterproofing should've been done a long time ago. Kudos to Samsung for raising the bar!
    2014-08-23 06:04 PM
    I would like to see a waterproof iPhone, but if I plan on swimming with it, I'll just buy a lifeproof case.
    2014-08-23 06:55 PM
    My "STUPID!!!" Was about the video. Plus I won't be saying anything! I have no need for a waterproof or resistant phone. If Apple does do it? Ok, so be it!
    2014-08-23 07:11 PM
    Hahahhaa good samsung ... Hey apple fan boys are u guys crying that u can't do the ice challenge with ur phones.. No wait why the fk will I put ice (water) in my phone wth do I get from dis? ... Yeah a fk up phone.. Stupid Samsung go donate 100million instead.. Instead wasting ice water go donate water to the poors like everyone should... Or food.. I think dis ALS whatever is dumb idea ain't helping no one but donating will.. Wasting the precious gift that the world produces that's water.. Agreed?
    2014-08-23 09:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD