From Square to Google, everyone it seems is in the mobile payments game today -- except for Apple.

But that may change next month upon the release of iPhone 6. The tech-giant's next-gen flagship iPhone 6 will pack a mobile payments platform made possible by an NFC chip.

Sources speaking with Wired on Thursday confirm that NFC is pretty much a done deal for iPhone 6. Interestingly enough, the source has come forward on the heels of a new report this week from IDC, which calls for Apple to emerge as a mobile payments powerhouse in the coming years.

"Apple has been actively involved in making payments more convenient and streamlined for consumers who use its device," said James Wester, IDC practice director for Worldwide Payment Strategies and author of the report. "Apple's unique role as a device manufacturer, OS provider, and online retailer means Apple has the ability to impact the way payments evolve like few other companies. Merchants, issuers, processors, and other payment stakeholders will need to understand that impact and begin adjusting their investments and strategies accordingly."

Source: Wired
    2014-08-28 07:33 PM
    Long overdue. I feel this should have been in the initial iPhone 4 but who am i to judge.
    2014-08-28 07:50 PM
    Long overdue. I feel this should have been in the initial iPhone 4 but who am i to judge.
    Let's see how it all works out.
    2014-08-28 08:45 PM
    Anyone want to bet that Samsung will be announcing, soon, they'll be offering a phone that does that too. Hey wait a second, weren't they supposed to be coming out with a fingerprint scanner reader or something?
    2014-08-28 10:51 PM
    Anyone want to bet that Samsung will be announcing, soon, they'll be offering a phone that does that too. Hey wait a second, weren't they supposed to be coming out with a fingerprint scanner reader or something?
    Not a Samsung fan or anything, but they've had it for ages. This is certainly a long overdue feature for Apple.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2014-08-28 11:01 PM
    Not a Samsung fan or anything, but they've had it for ages. This is certainly a long overdue feature for Apple.
    We'll I wouldn't exactly say long over due. It's not add a feature because another phone has it. It's more of is customers going to be using it in the first place
    2014-08-29 04:44 AM
    NFC has not been widely accepted in the US and in other countries, it's mostly a chip inside credit/debit cards. Once Apple accepts it, everyone will too.
    2014-08-29 05:52 AM
    NFC has not been widely accepted in the US and in other countries, it's mostly a chip inside credit/debit cards. Once Apple accepts it, everyone will too.
    I actually see lots of things with NFC incorporation. Ex. Vending machines that say they accept through NFC wallet. A sound system that pairs via NFC. Saw an NFC airdrop equivalent somewhere.

While I don't disagree that it hasn't really gotten big yet, I think that it's become enough of a thing that it should've at least been on the 5S if not the 5, when I first started seeing NFC devices.

On a sidenote: how secure is NFC? I've heard stories of people swiping credit card info through it, but I'm not sure how much is truth and how much is conspiracy. How close does NFC work? Does it have an on/off feature? Just some questions I've had.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2014-08-29 06:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD