Many were anticipating the unveiling of the Apple Watch and the Cupertino California company delivered. Aside from showcasing the various customizable options the watch will be made available in, Apple also showcased a wide variety of functions for its upcoming wearable device. The features include built-in fitness tracking, support for Apple’s new mobile payment initiative, Apple Pay, and a unique MagSafe-style inductive charging cable.

One of the main features of the Apple Watch is support for the company’s voice-controlled personal assistant, Siri, which can be accessed through the Digital Crown physical controls. The wrist-worn device’s unique touch screen also uses what Apple has called “Force Touch,” a technology that can sense the difference between a tap and a press. The device is also said to tout the “Taptic Engine” which is a built-in speaker that allows for discreet alerts to a user’s wrist.

When it comes to pairing and connectivity, the Apple Watch is said to be using 802.11b/g and Bluetooth 4.0 to correctly pair with an iPhone. The wireless connectivity is said to allow users to authorize transactions using Apple Pay, display passes and tickets with Passbook, and even remotely control the Apple TV set top box for users who have one.

As was expected, fitness and health are other key factors that the Apple Watch focuses on. With Apple’s new Activity app designed to help the wearer to be more active throughout the day, a Workout app designed to give users the metrics needed during dedicated workout sessions and a Fitness app that collects data to show in greater detail, Apple seems to be providing a lot more options for users to take advantage of. The system develops both personal and realistic goals for the wearer and even rewards users with fitness milestones to keep them motivated.

When it comes to hardware, the device has a plug-less design and instead will be charged with a special MagSafe-style magnetic attachment that connects to the bottom fo the device. Apple didn’t indicate the battery life for its watch but CEO Tim Cook did mention charging the device at night, which suggests that it will only offer one day of battery life.
    Last but not least, it shouldn’t be a surprise to learn that the Apple Watch will require an iPhone as it has been designed to work together with the paired smartphone. Fortunately the Apple Watch will be compatible with the iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5, iPhone 5C and iPhone 5S.

Developers will also be given the ability to create their own third-party apps for the Apple Watch by utilizing the new WatchKit API. The kit will give developers the ability to create actionable notifications and glances intended to provide timely information that is accurate. The tools are said to be made available to developers next year.

The Apple Watch will become available in “early 2015” according to the info Apple revealed though no specific time frame was given. The device is said to be made available with a starting price of $349 and will likely scale up based on collection and band customizations.

Source: Apple

Twitter: @AkshayMasand
    2014-09-10 07:40 AM
    Not very excited about a watch that needs my phone.
    2014-09-10 01:57 PM
    what are the new features that no other company has done before in their smartwatches?
    2014-09-10 02:08 PM
    Not very excited about a watch that needs my phone.
    I hear ya. Nice watch, but I'll pass.
    2014-09-10 02:22 PM
    I hear ya. Nice watch, but I'll pass.
    And for 349?!?!? Nah I'll get a fitbit. Besides, is the watch waterproof? And what about the rumors about it being able to get your blood pressure? It's pretty but that's about it. I'm disappointed.
    2014-09-10 02:27 PM
    There's really not much innovation going on here, but at least we can be pretty sure the quality and build will be top notch, as Apple rarely cuts corners on that. That said, I would be more interested in Moto 360 given the choice. Call me old fashioned, but I just like a round face watch.

I think a big miss was not putting GPS on the watch itself. 90% of exercise watches are used for running and GPS, and no serious runner is going to want to haul their phone around all the time. If they wanted to do that, they could just use one of the many many running apps available.

For me, the barrier to getting a smartwatch is that it has to do something unique and useful that is difficult or not practical from just pulling your phone from your pocket. Apple didn't do this.

what are the new features that no other company has done before in their smartwatches?
    The only things I can think of off the top of my head are Force Touch, which is basically a pressure-sensitive screen. I don't thik that's been on a watch yet. Also the Digital Crown as a means of watch navigation. All other watches are using just buttons or the screen itself.

We'll see how well Force Touch works (whether or not taps get mistaken for presses, or if it's even intuitive enough) but I'm already not a big fan of the Digital Crown. touch-sensitive bezels or something would have been better. I think they just wanted something more traditional watch-like on their watch. Instead, they should have made it a round face and you run your finger around the edge to zoom in and out. Now that would be slick!
    2014-09-10 02:29 PM
    Not that I plan to buy one of these, but the question I want answered more than anything is how do left handed people like myself wear this watch? The Digital Crown design isn't universal. Will buyers be able to choose which side they want the crown on? If I did decide to buy one it would boil down to this question getting answered.
    2014-09-10 02:45 PM
    The watch is inevitably going to be a huge failure. The price tag is too high for something that doesn't really do anything special. Not to mention it's looking like less than a full day of battery use. Just another piece of technology we have to worry about charging all the time.
    2014-09-10 03:26 PM
    Announce in 2014 and releasing in 2015. Its a future smartwatch with todays features.
    2014-09-10 03:40 PM
    You need the phone for the notifications to work but I don't think you need your phone with you to run. I myself dont need a watch but I'm really impressed with it
    2014-09-10 04:47 PM
    Not that I plan to buy one of these, but the question I want answered more than anything is how do left handed people like myself wear this watch?
    Yes, I read in from a hands-on story that in the initial setup it asks you which hand you'll wear the watch on and it will display the screen accordingly. The only difference is that the brown will be towards the bottom, which to me would be preferrable.

The watch is inevitably going to be a huge failure. The price tag is too high for something that doesn't really do anything special. Not to mention it's looking like less than a full day of battery use. Just another piece of technology we have to worry about charging all the time.
    I don’t think it’ll sell anywhere near as many units as the iPhone or even iPad, but that won’t mean it’s a failure. I think it will sell better than other manufacturer’s watches simply because iPhone users tend to have more disposable income, but that’s doesn’t mean it’s a superior product either. It’ll sell, they’ll make money. If you want one, get it, if not, don’t worry, End of story.

I like how you claim to already know the battery will be less than a day based on absolutely nothing. Apple may have some faults, but more often than most manufacturers, they don’t release a product without having the basics covered. At least one full day of battery life is a must for any watch, and there’s no way Apple will release a watch that can’t meet that requirement.
    Last edited by fleurya; 2014-09-10 at 05:28 PM.
    2014-09-10 05:21 PM
    The watch is inevitably going to be a huge failure.
    Just like the iPhone and iPad?

I doubt if I will buy one as I have a nice watch already and have no interest in health and fitness.

But I didn't think I'd buy an iPhone when they were released, or an iPad, so who knows.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2014-09-10 05:36 PM
    Definitely I want the apple watch. But I don't know if I missed something in the revealing. But doesn't it have a camera? Or am I tripping 😕

Not that I plan to buy one of these, but the question I want answered more than anything is how do left handed people like myself wear this watch? The Digital Crown design isn't universal. Will buyers be able to choose which side they want the crown on? If I did decide to buy one it would boil down to this question getting answered.
    Good point!!
    2014-09-10 06:11 PM
    Definitely I want the apple watch. But I don't know if I missed something in the revealing. But doesn't it have a camera? Or am I tripping 😕
    It has a function to act as the shutter/viewfinder for you iPhone camera. So it can display what your iPhone is taking a picture of and press the shutter without actually touching your device.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2014-09-10 06:16 PM
    There is nothing different between this and the Galaxy Gear as they both need a phone to work.
    This is just the Apple version of the Gear but its over a year late to the party like usual.
    I would be interested in it if it has PayWave support with NFC and if it works with Android phones.
    As I guess it wont have either then I'm not interested. I already have the GG1 so looking for an upgrade soon so its good timing but nothing new so wont give it a second look. It'll be overpriced and less features so its a no for me and all my friends who already own Gear Neos. If Apple were 6 months earlier it could've sold a few but now, nope.
    2014-09-10 07:25 PM
    If you have an android phone why would you want an Apple Watch? Why are you trolling an Apple site? Stick with your toys and pretend the samsung watch is as good as the Apple one.
    Now run along and play.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2014-09-10 07:36 PM
    They specifically only said that the apple watch base model needs the phone they never said what the other watches do? Do they have gps? They didn't say!
    2014-09-10 07:58 PM
    Just like the iPhone and iPad?

I doubt if I will buy one as I have a nice watch already and have no interest in health and fitness.

But I didn't think I'd buy an iPhone when they were released, or an iPad, so who knows.
    Yeah, just like the 5c. And its already been reported that the battery life is just a day and even Apple isn't happy with it. Yet you all are. Hmm...
    Last edited by Nuff Said; 2014-09-10 at 08:48 PM.
    2014-09-10 08:12 PM
    Switzerland is hardly in any trouble after this Johnny Ive
    2014-09-10 08:20 PM
    Yeah, just like the 5c. And its already been reported that the battery life is just a day and even Apple isn't happy with it. Yet you all are. Hmm...
    Nobody has reported on battery life. If anyone would, it would be Apple. All the stories on battery life are pure speculation. Apple doesn’t even know what battery life will be yet because they don’t have the Watch production-ready. Until then, they can’t run tests to determine battery life.

Expecting Apple to be able to quote battery life with confidence when they’re still finalizing the product is the height of stupidity!

They specifically only said that the apple watch base model needs the phone they never said what the other watches do? Do they have gps? They didn't say!
    They said it does not have internal GPs. It has to be paired with a phone, which is disappointing to me and kills it as a real fitness watch option. Most people who use fitness watches use GPS watches for running tracking.
    2014-09-10 10:48 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD