At its special media event, T-Mobile announced its latest “Un-carrier’ initiative in “Wi-Fi Unleashed,” where the company promises Wi-Fi calling and text support with every new phone sold. Basically, T-Mobile CEO, John Legere, told everyone attending the event that all new smartphones (including the forthcoming iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus), will be able to handle texting and calling over Wi-Fi networks.

Apple CEO Tim Cook described Wi-Fi calling at the September 9th media event. For those of you who missed it, it allows users to set up and place calls over a Wi-Fi network rather than connecting with a cellular radio tower. The higher bandwidth grants more headroom for “HD Audio” voice throughput and furthermore it also lowers network congestion in the area.

The tech also allows handsets to hop from one network to another which makes calls seamless. A subscriber can start a call on Wi-Fi at home and just walk outside where the call will continue on what would be T-Mobile’s cellular network in this case.

Alongside the Wi-Fi calling capability on all new phones, T-Mobile also introduced a dedicate hotspot device called the T-Mobile Personal CellSpot. This particular piece of hardware includes support for 802.11ac, prioritizes voice calling for high definition audio and can also act as a regular internet router.

T-Mobile’s announcements aren’t too surprising as they come just one day after Cook revealed T-Mobile as the only wireless operator in the US to support Wi-Fi calling for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. We’ll have to wait and see if other wireless carriers will follow suit in the future but chances are likely that at some point they will integrate the technology as well.

Are any of you T-Mobile users excited?

Source: T-Mobile via USA Today

Twitter: @AkshayMasand
    2014-09-11 10:26 PM
    Nice, I'm diggin' it. Way to go T-Mo.
    2014-09-11 11:11 PM
    Hulk yeah lol
    2014-09-12 12:02 AM
    Will anyone with a tmobile account and ios8 be able to take advantage of this? There are prepaid BYOP folks that would love this too. Can this work on ios7 devices ?
    2014-09-12 01:43 AM
    sweet
    2014-09-12 02:22 AM
    Nice, I'm diggin' it. Way to go T-Mo.
    Maybe I missed it, but if I'm calling via wi-fi will that be directed to their cell towers? If not I should be able to call overseas free of charge, like skype.
    2014-09-12 03:36 PM
    There are three ways to make a voice call. 1) cell tower. 2) wifi like at Starbucks or at the library. 3) data cell tower using your data plan.

This new ios8 will integrate option 1) 2) and 3) more seem less.
    2014-09-12 03:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD