On Monday, Apple has issued a press release officially publicizing some much-awaited numbers. For the last few days, we've known that the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus broke a sales record, but this is the first revealing of actual figures since the pre-orders began. The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus have, according to Apple, pre-sold a record-breaking 4 million units in just the first 24 hours of the pre-launch.

Apple notes that demand for the new handsets were far greater than Apple's initial supply, and that many of the pre-ordered handsets won't even be delivered until October thanks to the lack of a large supply:

CUPERTINO, California—September 15, 2014—Apple® today announced a record number of first day pre-orders of iPhone® 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, the biggest advancements in iPhone history, with over four million in the first 24 hours. Demand for the new iPhones exceeds the initial pre-order supply and while a significant amount will be delivered to customers beginning on Friday and throughout September, many iPhone pre-orders are scheduled to be delivered in October. Additional supply of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will be available to walk-in customers on Friday, September 19 at 8:00 a.m. local time at Apple retail stores.
    Four million is quite an incredible number, as the iPhone 5 only sold 2 million units in the first 24 hours just two years ago. In addition to the initial hype for the pre-orders, those wanting to get their hands on an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus even sooner can visit Retail stores starting at 8:00 A.M. Friday, September 19th.

Apple is getting ready to ship more than 80 million of their iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus handsets, a record-breaking number, before the end of 2014, so it's safe to assume that Apple's supply chains are under a lot of pressure right now.

If you want one of Apple's new iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus handsets, it's a good idea to order now to save your place in line before shipping estimates continue to slip further. iPhone 6 is estimating 7-10 business day wait times, while the iPhone 6 Plus is estimating 3-4 week wait times.

Sources: Apple
    2014-09-15 04:45 PM
    I have one question, if i pre ordered an iPhone 6 en the 12th on the ATT store, can i still go to the store on launch day and grab one so i can cancel the pre order??
    2014-09-15 04:57 PM
    I have one question, if i pre ordered an iPhone 6 en the 12th on the ATT store, can i still go to the store on launch day and grab one so i can cancel the pre order??
    Of course you're allowed to go to an Apple Store on launch day and grab one (if they're in stock).

The catch is, you can't cancel your AT&T pre-order online or over the phone. You have to refuse it when it's delivered to you so that it returns to where it came. Then, AT&T will refund you after being noticed that you sent it back and after they receive it.

So even though you will be "returning" it, you will still be out your money for a long time until AT&T is good and ready to refund you after you finally do return your device.

My advice? – just sit tight for your order to come. Less hassle and less of your money floating around in limbo.
    2014-09-15 04:59 PM
    Thank your for ur answer Anthony What about if I preorder and it's available at a store can I pick up from there
    Last edited by Chula; 2014-09-15 at 05:32 PM.
    2014-09-15 05:29 PM
    I would just be patient. Most likely, if your pre-ordered on the 12th, you have been charged for it already, and the upgrade has already been completed be the carrier (if you used a device upgrade).

Trying to cancel and re-order only runs you a high risk of being double charged, and possibly losing the subsidized cost. Keep reminding yourself it is just a phone.
    2014-09-15 05:45 PM
    Thank your for ur answer Anthony What about if I preorder and it's available at a store can I pick up from there
    If you pre-ordered it's supposed to be sent to your house.
    2014-09-15 05:49 PM
    THAT IS INSANE - 4 million! And just think... if I didn't order mine, they would have only had 3,999,999 units preordered.
    2014-09-15 05:57 PM
    THAT IS INSANE - 4 million! And just think... if I didn't order mine, they would have only had 3,999,999 units preordered.
    If the Web sites weren't crashing all over the place Friday morning, then they might have been able to sell even more to those that rage-quit that night . Haha
    2014-09-15 05:59 PM
    I did this once and it was a real hassle. Wait for your order to get mailed to you is the better option.
    2014-09-15 06:01 PM
    Wow that's an incredible number. I decided to keep my iphone 5 as Apple has replaced my battery under the replacement program and I like the idea of being able to type with one hand.
    2014-09-15 06:42 PM
    Wow that's an incredible number. I decided to keep my iphone 5 as Apple has replaced my battery under the replacement program and I like the idea of being able to type with one hand.
    Same with my 5s, waiting for something new from Motorola of later this year. Or something bs
    2014-09-15 07:04 PM
    Keep reminding yourself it is just a phone. - LOL at this response, so true, so true.

And it is pitiful all of those sites crash, can't take the orders. My new puppy woke me at 3 am, so after letting
    her back in the house, tried Sprint and Apple - both down (got thru when I got up at normal time). Now I really can't imagine that many people at that time of the morning, but what really upsets me is they knew this, should've planned for this - its not exactly a surprise, this happens every year, and their prep, seemed weak to put it mildly.

My daughter's phone broke on Saturday, and when she finally got thru to Apple, they suggested ordering a new one.
    So I laughed when that meant being without one for a couple of weeks. Thanks goodness for old, backup phones!
    2014-09-15 07:05 PM
    I did this last year with the 5S, but it was all Apple store, not through carrier. The trick with AT&T is you'll probably have to do it at the AT&T store so they can cancel your online order. If you already ordered one on contract and try to buy from Apple, they may charge full price.

I didn't even intend to do it. I ordered online on day one. then I was walking through the mall a couple days later and saw a fairly short line at the Apple store. I asked if they had the model I wanted in stock, and they did. So 30 minutes later I walked out with my new phone and they canceled my online order for me.
    2014-09-15 07:31 PM
    4 millions people out there?
    2014-09-15 07:36 PM
    Wow. Do some math here. 4,000,000 units at an average of $800, that's about 3.2 billion in 24 hours.
    2014-09-15 10:41 PM
    Of course you're allowed to go to an Apple Store on launch day and grab one (if they're in stock).

The catch is, you can't cancel your AT&T pre-order online or over the phone. You have to refuse it when it's delivered to you so that it returns to where it came. Then, AT&T will refund you after being noticed that you sent it back and after they receive it.

So even though you will be "returning" it, you will still be out your money for a long time until AT&T is good and ready to refund you after you finally do return your device.

My advice? – just sit tight for your order to come. Less hassle and less of your money floating around in limbo.

Not true. You can very much cancel your preorder online, there's even a button to do it. Your upgrade eligibility status also is restored if you do.
    2014-09-16 08:25 PM
    Not true. You can very much cancel your preorder online, there's even a button to do it. Your upgrade eligibility status also is restored if you do.
    I can show you a really interesting screenshot from AT&T's Web site that strongly suggests my theory.

Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-09-18 at 05:34 AM.
    2014-09-18 05:27 AM
    Yeah I logged in to AT&T using the App and scored a plus 128 gb. Then went to get my other upgrade credit and it wouldn't log in. So I tried my safari browser (on my phone) and that went right to the website and I was able to get the other Plus 128 gb. In the future just remember to try various avenues. Just glad I didn't wait in line.

I think this is why Samsung is so jealous of Apple. People just don't swarm their products.
    2014-09-18 09:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD