Each time that you press on the volume up or volume down button on the side of your iPhone, your volume increases or decreases by one step. A step is a way to describe the amount that something changes whenever an action is performed.

For some people, when adjusting the volume, that one little step is insignificant and you need a quicker way to increase or decrease your device's volume level. A new free jailbreak tweak called CustomVolumeStep by iOS developer iolate is now available in Cydia's BigBoss repository to let you do that.

CustomVolumeStep, as the name implies, will allow you to customize how much change in your volume level will occur with each volume button press. For example, the default settings of the device are to increase or decrease the volume with one step (or one bar in the volume HUD) each time that you press the volume up or volume down button.

CustomVolumeStep will add a preferences pane to the Settings application, where you can configure the volume step that you want:

If we were to adjust the volume step to 1/4, rather than the default 1/16, then every time we would press the volume up or volume down button, the volume would increase by 1/4 of a whole volume bar rather than only 1/6 of a whole volume bar. At 1/4, only four presses of the volume up button can make you go from 0% volume to 100%, significantly saving your time and energy because you don't have to press the button 16 times to accomplish the same task.

The developer notes that CustomVolumeStep does the same thing as an older tweak called VolumeStep; however, VolumeStep does not support 64-bit iOS devices, and CustomVolumeStep does. So if you have an iPhone 5s, iPad Mini with retina display, or even an iPad Air, CustomVolumeStep is definitely for you. It also works on 32-bit devices, so those of you with older devices are also free to give it a try!

CustomVolumeStep is available for free right now in Cydia's BigBoss repository.

Name: CustomVolumeStep
    Price: FREE
    Version: 0.1-2
    Requirements: iOS 7.0-7.1.2
    Tested on: iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1.2
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: iolate
    Editor's Rating:  5/5
    2014-09-15 09:32 PM
    Does it support different step levels for up and down? If not that'd be a cool feature. I often find myself needing to turn my volume off much quicker than I need to raise it.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2014-09-15 10:01 PM
    Does it support different step levels for up and down? If not that'd be a cool feature. I often find myself needing to turn my volume off much quicker than I need to raise it.
    No, they're not separate, what you see is what you get.

Although, good idea, you should e-mail the developer on that idea and hope it gets included
    2014-09-15 10:03 PM
    I just press my mute button if I want to turn the sound down quickly but then you forget to turn it back on unless you've done it a few times and you get the gist of it.
    2014-09-16 12:17 AM
    I just press my mute button if I want to turn the sound down quickly but then you forget to turn it back on unless you've done it a few times and you get the gist of it.
    I have an iPod Touch, which for whatever reason STILL doesn't have a mute button.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2014-09-16 02:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD