iOS 8 will be released to the public on this Wednesday, September 17th. With that being said, if you're on any other version of iOS 7 that isn't iOS 7.1.2, or you just feel the need to start fresh with a clean jailbreak, now is a great time to restore your device from DFU mode and update to iOS 7.1.2, which is the latest jailbreakable firmware for iOS devices at the time of this writing.

The main reason it's a good time to do this now, or even tomorrow, is because once iOS 8 is released, iOS 7.1.2 will no longer be signed by Apple, and this means that you won't be able to install a clean copy of iOS 7.1.2 anymore (unless you have an iPhone 4); you will be forced to update to iOS 8, which at this point in time, is not jailbreakable.

If you're on any other version of iOS 7, this also gives you the opportunity to install to the most stable version of iOS 7 to date on your iOS device before iOS 8 is released, so we would definitely recommend hopping on board before it's too late for you to do so. Otherwise, you will be stuck at whatever version of iOS 7 that you have installed until an iOS 8 jailbreak is released.

If your jailbreak feels a little buggy beyond repair, this is another great reason to move forward with the DFU restore before iOS 8 comes out. Nothing feels worse than having a precious jailbreak and then having to restore and update to a non-jailbreakable firmware because you can't use your device. Restoring and starting fresh with a new copy of iOS 7.1.2 and a jailbreak before iOS 8 is released will help ensure that you won't be forced to upgrade to iOS 8 because of bugs that send you into unstable boot loops, and other problems.

The Pangu (version 1.2.0 for Mac OS X and version 1.2.1 for Windows) jailbreak tool can jailbreak iOS 7.1.2, so after restoring an updating, you can simply attach your iOS 7.1.2 device to your computer and run the tool to get your jailbreak back, and then re-install your favorite jailbreak tweaks. If you need to know how to use Pangu, you can follow our complete Mac OS X and Windows guide at this link. Most jailbreak tweaks are iOS 7.1.2-compatible.

To get into DFU mode before restoring, plug your iOS device into your computer and open iTunes and then press and hold the power button and home button for 10 seconds. Then, without releasing the home button, release the power button and hold it until iTunes tells you that your device is in "recovery" mode. If your display is pitch black when you get this message, then you have succeeded in getting into DFU mode. From here, just restore to an iOS 7.1.2 firmware file!
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-09-16 at 01:17 AM.
    2014-09-16 01:14 AM
    Did that sat before my genius appt. jb is now back on Thanks
    2014-09-16 01:39 AM
    I will NOT jailbreak my phone until the jailbreak for iOS 8 is available. When that day comes, I MIGHT jailbreak... but until then, I'll stick with my HAPPILY NON-JAILBROKEN iOS 8!!!

Hahaha just kidding, good article
    2014-09-16 01:57 AM
    I think I'm actually gonna abandon JB for iOS 8. I heard it was faster for older devices than 7. Is that true? If so I'll upgrade, but if not I may as well DFU and re-JB.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2014-09-16 02:36 AM
    I think I'm actually gonna abandon JB for iOS 8. I heard it was faster for older devices than 7. Is that true? If so I'll upgrade, but if not I may as well DFU and re-JB.
    For me, it seems to run about the same as iOS 7.1.2.
    2014-09-16 03:00 AM
    For me, it seems to run about the same as iOS 7.1.2.
    What device are you running?

Also, do you think you could do a pros/cons of updating article. I'd find that informative at least.

......beware......
    2014-09-16 03:38 AM
    Still running 6.1.3 on a 4S here.
    2014-09-16 03:54 AM
    Dang, I'm trading in this JB iP5 for 6Plus... That stinks, I'm probably one of many though...
    2014-09-16 04:29 AM
    I am still on 7.04!
    2014-09-16 06:24 AM
    So does a "erase all contents and settings" require updating if a newer iOS version is out?
    It's been a while since I had to do this and I want to sell this phone with iOS 7.1.2 so it's still jailbreakable
    2014-09-16 03:57 PM
    Dang, I'm trading in this JB iP5 for 6Plus... That stinks, I'm probably one of many though...
    Lol same here!!
    2014-09-16 04:19 PM
    Did that sat before my genius appt. jb is now back on Thanks

Ok, so to upgrade my JB iP5 (7.0.4) to 7.1.2 and maintain all my JB apps:
    1. Backup iPhone via iTunes
    2. Download 7.1.2 to iTunes
    3. Place iphone in DFU mode (through one of multiple methods)
    4. Have iTunes install 7.1.2 (presumably the same Q&A process as a normal upgrade...right?)
    5. Run Pangu Jailbreak

Is this correct?

Historically, I would update my iOS, then jailbreak, then reinstall all the jailbroken apps (very tedious). So THIS will update my iOS and save me the effort of all those downloads and reinstalls, right?
    Last edited by GeoffS4; 2014-09-16 at 06:17 PM.
    2014-09-16 06:11 PM

Ok, so to upgrade my JB iP5 (7.0.4) to 7.1.2 and maintain all my JB apps:
    1. Backup iPhone via iTunes
    2. Download 7.1.2 to iTunes
    3. Place iphone in DFU mode (through one of multiple methods)
    4. Have iTunes install 7.1.2 (presumably the same Q&A process as a normal upgrade...right?)
    5. Run Pangu Jailbreak

Is this correct?

Historically, I would update my iOS, then jailbreak, then reinstall all the jailbroken apps (very tedious). So THIS will update my iOS and save me the effort of all those downloads and reinstalls, right?
    As far as I know there's no way to update and keep all your Cydia packages without using a separate backup tool (PkgBackup, OpenBackup, xBackup, AptBackup, etc.). I'm not sure which ones still work as I haven't been jailbroken for a while now.
    2014-09-16 06:27 PM
    Would this completely erase the phone? Don't know what i did last, but i always seem to have old Cyda folders and things on my phone whenever i upgrade. Is this the way to completely erase the phone before installing 7.1.2 again?
    2014-09-16 06:43 PM
    Why is the article saying you should be in DFU mode before updating to the latest iOS in iTunes?
    2014-09-17 03:19 AM
    Why is the article saying you should be in DFU mode before updating to the latest iOS in iTunes?
    Don't remember the exact technical reason, but it helps make things smoother for jailbreak.

......beware......
    2014-09-17 05:34 AM
    Why not use semirestore, then you dont have do think of new ios 8....
    2014-09-17 03:29 PM
    It helps ensure the most bug-free installation of iOS possible and will make jailbreaking in the future much more reliable.

Via Apple:

Restoring a device after entering DFU mode returns it to a known good state with the certainty that only unmodified Apple-signed code is present.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-09-18 at 06:00 AM.
    2014-09-18 05:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD