View Poll Results: Will you be upgrading to iOS 8, or sticking with jailbroken iOS 7?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want Apple's new iOS 8 as soon as it comes out!

11 29.73%
  • I'm going to stay with jailbroken iOS 7.

26 70.27%

With iOS 8 coming out to the public tomorrow, September 17th, many of you will be considering whether you should keep your iOS 7 jailbreak, or upgrade to the new operating system. As with every major release of Apple's iOS operating system, we know the upgrade may look tempting, so we're here to help make sure you make the right decision before you jump the gun and regret it later!

iOS 8 has a lot of new alluring features, like QuickType, Continuity, new Health and Fitness features, third-party keyboard support, improved Mail and Messages applications, and much more.

QuickType will add a new bar to the top of your keyboard that will try to predict what you're typing before you type it, and Continuity will try to keep your devices all in the loop so that you can continue on one device what you had started on another. The new Health and Fitness application will let you track your health and keep yourself fit and ready for your daily life. If you heard about the third-party keyboards, well... this is definitely going to be fun – even Swype will finally make it to the iPhone. Your improved Mail and Messages applications mean that you'll get exciting new features that you've likely wanted from Apple forever, like quick reply, and voice messages.

But... even with all of those features, as well as the ones we haven't even named in this writing (because there are so many), it's still hard to ditch a completely open iOS 7 device – one that has been jailbroken so that you can modify any aspect of it. After all, many of your features in iOS 8 can be had with a simple jailbreak tweak, like auki's quick reply, Remote Messages' SMS from your Mac, Octopus Keyboard's ability to guess what you're trying to say, custom widgets in Notification Center, and much more.

With that being said, most of you can enjoy some of the best features of iOS 8 right on your jailbroken iOS 7 device without the need to upgrade and lose what you treasure most. After all, when we upgrade to any new iOS operating system and there's no jailbreak available for it, we always seem to get that 'upgrader's remorse' feeling in your gut, and it's like, "man, I shouldn't have done that..."

If you have no need for any of your favorite jailbreak tweaks anymore, then we do think that iOS 8 is a nice and formidable upgrade for you, although we definitely think that because so many features of iOS 8 are available in the jailbreak community already that you should consider holding off for now. We haven't heard any news from the iOS hacking community about the possibility of an iOS 8 jailbreak yet, and iOS 8 is already in its golden master stages. The silence sure is fishy... but you just never know until you actually hear something!

If you have more than one iOS device, maybe you might consider upgrading the one you don't care about as much to iOS 8 first before you upgrade every single one of them. That way you can get a feel for what the new operating system is like before you actually do lose your jailbreak for good.

Just remember that once you upgrade, Apple will quickly close the signing window for iOS 7.1.2, so there's a good possibility that you won't even get the chance to downgrade again. That's why we suggest that all of the jailbreakers out there to go ahead and do a nice DFU mode restore before Tuesday ends so that you can start off with a clean plate on a freshly-restored and freshly-jailbroken device before you're unable to ever do this again. Those with an iPhone 4 don't have to worry about that, because it can't run iOS 8 and it's technically jailbroken for life.

In the end, picking between iOS 8 and a jailbroken iOS 7 device is your choice, but we hope after reading this you'll be able to make a level-headed decision before you just dive right in!

Will you be upgrading, or sticking with your jailbreak? – Be a part of our poll! You will need to use the forum part of our Web site to take part in this poll – it is not accessible from the News site or the ModMyi application, so visit this link, and as always, we appreciate your feedback!

Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-09-18 at 12:03 AM.
    2014-09-16 06:40 AM
    I'm gonna upgrade. By the time I get used to ios8 I'm sure Pangu or the Devteam will make a Jailbreak for it.
    2014-09-16 07:00 AM
    Ios 8 gold master runs slow on my 5s and the battery is terrible but that was upgrading not restoring so might be that, but the iPhone 6 comes on Friday so that's that, I will be restoring to ios 7 today though as I'll get more for it on eBay if it's jailbrakable.

The health app is the best thing I l have seen in ios 8 so far.
    2014-09-16 07:58 AM
    The best reason not to upgrade to iOS 8 is that it's brand-new. You don't really believe Beta Testing found and removed all the bugs, now do you?

I'm content to let other folks venture out onto the bleeding-edge. They can lead the way while I follow at a safe distance.

P.S. Octopus Keyboard is not available for iOS 7.
    2014-09-16 09:35 AM
    I will stay with ios 7.will update it later when jailbreak will came out.
    2014-09-16 09:43 AM

P.S. Octopus Keyboard is not available for iOS 7.
    That's what I was gonna say. Lol. I got all excited as I thought it may have been updated!
    2014-09-16 09:51 AM
    Upgrade as jailbreak might be only for ios8 and we already know an update to ios8 is planned soon after launch!
    2014-09-16 10:16 AM
    Every year, like clockwork, in September: "I'm going to upgrade to iOS X.0. Don't need a jailbreak anymore bc iOS X.0 has everything I always jailbroke for anyway."

Every year, like clockwork, in November: "WHERES THE EFFING JAILBREAK?? WHAT THE EFF IS TAKING THOSE LAZY EFFING DEVS SO LONG??!!!!1!11 I HATE THOS AHOLES!!!!1!"

Every year, like clockwork, in December or January: "OMFG the JB devs are heroes -- thanks for everything you do for the community! Now my device is perfect!"
    Last edited by novadam; 2014-09-16 at 11:24 AM.
    2014-09-16 11:20 AM
    Can a factory reset be performed from the handset after iOS 8 is released without upgrading?

I'm gonna upgrade... To an iPhone 6
    2014-09-16 12:26 PM
    i rather my jailbroken ios 7 than ios 8😂😂
    2014-09-16 12:59 PM
    Stay away from ios8 until bugs has been all found... I don't upgrade until either 8 is JB or I like the new iOS ...
    2014-09-16 01:26 PM
    Stay away from ios8 until bugs has been all found... I don't upgrade until either 8 is JB or I like the new iOS ...
    yup right and i think all new versions of IOS battery drains fast
    2014-09-16 01:34 PM
    Every year, like clockwork, in September: "I'm going to upgrade to iOS X.0. Don't need a jailbreak anymore bc iOS X.0 has everything I always jailbroke for anyway."

Every year, like clockwork, in November: "WHERES THE EFFING JAILBREAK?? WHAT THE EFF IS TAKING THOSE LAZY EFFING DEVS SO LONG??!!!!1!11 I HATE THOS AHOLES!!!!1!"

Every year, like clockwork, in December or January: "OMFG the JB devs are heroes -- thanks for everything you do for the community! Now my device is perfect!"
    Lol

I'm keeping the jailbreak
    2014-09-16 03:12 PM
    are you guys just bored posting this kinda thread or what!
    2014-09-16 04:06 PM
    Ios 8 gold master runs slow on my 5s and the battery is terrible but that was upgrading not restoring so might be that, but the iPhone 6 comes on Friday so that's that, I will be restoring to ios 7 today though as I'll get more for it on eBay if it's jailbrakable.

The health app is the best thing I l have seen in ios 8 so far.

I have a 5s and updated to the iOS 8 GM over the weekend. I had terrible battery life too... so I went under Settings>General>Reset and "Reset All Settings"... then rebooted. After that my battery life has been MUCH better than it ever was on iOS7... even after re-enabling all my settings (push, location services, etc). Give it a try!
    2014-09-16 04:18 PM
    The BEST part of the iOS experience is the ability to utilize JB tweaks. I would not have an iPhone if I could not personalize it with Cydia. I don't think I am alone in my thinking. I am sure many would disagree but that is my opinion. I will stick with my JB and wait for the DevTeam to JB iOS 8 before i decide to update.
    2014-09-16 04:21 PM
    The BEST part of the iOS experience is the ability to utilize JB tweaks. I would not have an iPhone if I could not personalize it with Cydia. I don't think I am alone in my thinking. I am sure many would disagree but that is my opinion. I will stick with my JB and wait for the DevTeam to JB iOS 8 before i decide to update.
    I second that! Although ios gets better ever year (mostly because they implement jailbreak tweaks), I still like having the option to have full control over my device when I want to. For instance I love the "Bridge" tweak that allows you to add media to itunes directly on your phone without a pc... Apple will NEVER let you do that! lol
    2014-09-16 04:31 PM
    ^^^ agreed!

However since I'm upgrading to the iPhone 6+ I don't have that option... yet. And with the new Pay feature coming out... it raises security concerns with a JB even more.
    2014-09-16 04:32 PM
    are you guys just bored posting this kinda thread or what!
    I actually requested it.

Thanks, Anthony, for posting it. Found it interesting and useful. One of my favorite things about this site is that you guys take suggestions and actually do them.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2014-09-16 04:42 PM
    iOS 7.0 was the jailbreak killer for me. iOS 8.0 is just more of the same. As far as I'm concerned - jailbreaking is irrelevant at this point. Also, a non-jailbroken device runs smoother and faster than a jailbroken one. And I've been jailbreaking since the 2g days.
    2014-09-16 04:47 PM
77 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD