We’re sure those of you who were recently able to get their hands on a new Apple device, are happily testing out the phone right now. A downside however for those on the AT&T network, may be your next month’s billing statement. AT&T has been notifyng those who recently upgraded their new device via a two-year contract, that a $40 ‘smartphone access charge’ would be added to their line. For those who used the traditional two-year contract tactic to upgrade to their new device, lose out on either the $15 or $25 discount that was given to them previously when AT&T changed their programs a few months back.

Customers who used AT&T’s new Next Program, initially see no charge when first purchasing the device but will be using a monthly payment plan for the next 20 or 24 months to pay off the phone. This just means that you pay the phone off at retail price, but over 20 or 24 months. AT&T Next customers also still get to keep the initial $15 or $25 discount the company gave them. Those that used the two year contract upgrade will also have to pay a $40 upgrade fee whereas AT&T Next customers do not. This program is just like Verizon’s Edge program. This news came as a surprise to many customers, and they made it apparent via Twitter:

AT&T has directed those who were angered by what happened to their website with an ‘important information about your recent device upgrade’ page. It states:

Thanks for upgrading to a new smartphone and selecting the 2-year wireless service agreement option, which does not take advantage of our best-ever pricing with Mobile Share Value.

Upgrading your new device on a 2-year wireless agreement means you are no longer eligible for your Mobile Share Value monthly smartphone access charge discount. This discount is $15 off the $40 per month 2-year agreement rate access charge for Mobile Share Value plans that include less than 10GB of data.

If you’d like to get your Mobile Share Value monthly smartphone access charge discount back, just return your phone within 14 days of your upgrade to the store where you completed the upgrade, and take advantage of one of these options: 1. Repurchase the phone with AT&T Next 2. Pay full retail price for the phone.
    Did you know about this before going ahead to purchase the iPhone? Let us know in the comments below!

Source: AT&T, Twitter (via cr0ssed)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand
    2014-09-20 12:05 AM
    One more reason why I'll never go back to AT&T...
    2014-09-20 12:10 AM
    I have AT&T go phone and iPhone 5S I just buy the phone with full price. I only pay $60 a month for the service so I don't have to worry about contract or monthly payment!
    2014-09-20 12:14 AM
    One more reason why I'll never go back to AT&T...
    Hahaha... I'm with you brother!!!
    2014-09-20 12:17 AM
    When I was placing the order for the Iphone 6 plus, I saw those $40.00 Dollars charges at att.com, I was not sure what was that about. I did not like that, so I canceled the order, I tried to go back and I couldn't. I am glad I could not go back because AT&T was trying to charge me $120 plus dollars for the order, so I went to apple.com, here was much nicer, I paid only the taxes.

Reviewing this LINK looks like AT&T is charging more for everything if a two year contract is picked vs the AT&T Next.
    2014-09-20 12:21 AM
    I had no idea about this until I spoke w/ them on the phone. They claim the Next program is actually cheaper and since I have a Family Share plan, I was forced to use Next if I wanted to keep that service. Kinda weird but definitely crappy on their part.
    2014-09-20 12:30 AM
    I don't want to switch to anything else. I'll lose my unlimited everything plan
    2014-09-20 12:39 AM
    I'm really thinking of giving up my unlimited data plan on ATT. I have hit my 5GB caps a few times and have to tell ya, when ATT throttles you down? They might as well just turn off your data. It's useless, everything is so slow and a lot of apps don't even work right. Did a speed test and was only getting 120kbps download

Now i did a comparison of what I have now, to the mobile share plan with 10GB and it's $15.00 cheaper than what I'm paying now, plus then i could tether and hotspot also. I don't see myself ever going over 10GB a month, plus that eliminates the need for the MyWi app in cydia.
    2014-09-20 12:53 AM
    I'm really thinking of giving up my unlimited data plan on ATT. I have hit my 5GB caps a few times and have to tell ya, when ATT throttles you down? They might as well just turn off your data. It's useless, everything is so slow and a lot of apps don't even work right. Did a speed test and was only getting 120kbps download

Now i did a comparison of what I have now, to the mobile share plan with 10GB and it's $15.00 cheaper than what I'm paying now, plus then i could tether and hotspot also. I don't see myself ever going over 10GB a month, plus that eliminates the need for the MyWi app in cydia.
    I finally decided to make the switch a couple months back because of those reasons. I started thinking,"how is this unlimited plan actually benefiting me?" I typically only use 4GB a month because I'm always too worried I'll get throttled if I go over.

I now have 4 lines (3 iPhones, 1 ipad) for $140/mth!!! As you also said, I can now tether to anything without needing MyWi to do it.
    2014-09-20 01:28 AM
    I finally decided to make the switch a couple months back because of those reasons. I started thinking,"how is this unlimited plan actually benefiting me?" I typically only use 4GB a month because I'm always too worried I'll get throttled if I go over.

I now have 4 lines (3 iPhones, 1 ipad) for $140/mth!!! As you also said, I can now tether to anything without needing MyWi to do it.
    IS the tethering and hotspot just as easy to setup thru ATT as in MyWi?
    2014-09-20 01:30 AM
    Yeah I use like 3gb at most so I'm never worried about going over.
    2014-09-20 01:40 AM
    IS the tethering and hotspot just as easy to setup thru ATT as in MyWi?
    Easier!
    2014-09-20 01:51 AM
    Easier!
    Thanks for the info!
    2014-09-20 01:53 AM
    And then I have a Hotspot Flipswitch in the top right corner
    2014-09-20 01:53 AM
    AT&T is ridiculous!!! Oh well by the time they figured it out it will be too late as many will have switched to other carriers.
    2014-09-20 02:07 AM
    This is somewhat misleading. If you are on a contract with a MSV plan, you pay the plan price + $40. If you are on NEXT, you pay: plan price + $40 - discount ($15 or $25) + monthly phone payment (for 12 or 18 months). It's not like AT&T tacked on an extra $40 per month on top of this.

Bottom line: AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile are all trying to move customers from contracts to EDGE/NEXT type plans. So I'm pretty sure they make more money with the new plans...

I've heard stories about AT&T going after people with unlimited plans for "tethering", by which they mean "you connected your phone to your car via Bluetooth and operated the phone through the car's controls". Ridiculous, I know, but it's clear they are doing anything they can to eliminate the unlimited plans.
    Last edited by td1439; 2014-09-20 at 02:33 AM.
    2014-09-20 02:30 AM

Same here. (Sigh) Same Here. I wanna leave at&t but i dont know whos a good carrier.
    2014-09-20 02:34 AM
    I knew the discount would be lost on the mobile share plans with subsidy.
    It's why I went the NEXT.
    The lost discount leads to a nearly $200 greater cost over 2 yrs for 64gb iPhone 6+

It was pretty clear if you read what's happens with the various upgrade options
    2014-09-20 03:09 AM
    I just switched to att after 10+ years of Verizon. The data for 2 gig on att is the same as vzw 1 gig. That's was a reason for me to go.
    2014-09-20 03:27 AM
    I'm pretty sure you still pay more with AT&T Next. The 2 yr upgrade you pay an extra $40 but on the lifehacker article it said that Next users pay more than $100 more than just paying full price and a 2 yr extension. Am I missing something?...(other than AT&T still sucks for charging a stupid upgrade fee)
    2014-09-20 03:27 AM
63 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD