Users who are running iOS 8 on their iOS device will now have the option of asking Siri to listen to what song is currently playing, which Siri will now identify via Shazam. Not only do Siri and Shazam work together to deliver a result, users will also be offered a link to buy the track from the iTunes Store. Said feature wasn’t available earlier this week and appears to have been turned on with the launch of iOS 8.

The folks over at The loop noted that Siri responds to various inquiries such as “What song is this?,” “What is currently playing?,” and even “Name that tune.” The functionality also works with the new “Hey Siri” handsfree mode which is available in iOS 8. The handsfree mode allows users to invoke the feature without touching their iOS device as long as it’s plugged in to external power.

Apple also appears to have enabled the ability to respond to HomeKit-related commands. Siri also lets users know that certain capabilities will work once their home is appropriately equipped in the event that a user doesn’t have any compatible apps or connected accessories available. All in all, although Siri wasn’t a big focus with the new iOS update, Apple still seems to have taken significant steps to improve its functionality.

Are any of you finding yourselves using Siri more or is it still considered a novelty feature for many of you?

Source: The Loop via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand
    2014-09-20 05:27 AM
    Does this require Shazam to be installed?

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2014-09-20 05:49 AM
    No it doesn't need Shazam installed.
    2014-09-20 06:09 AM
    No! not for Siri to look up the info, but say click on the shazam logo for further info? that requires the app to be installed. Just did "Hey Siri" and asked her "whats this song?" and she replied.
    2014-09-20 06:21 AM
    No! not for Siri to look up the info, but say click on the shazam logo for further info? that requires the app to be installed. Just did "Hey Siri" and asked her "whats this song?" and she replied.
    Thanks

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2014-09-20 06:26 AM
    just say shazam and she will do it
    2014-09-20 06:40 AM
    When I was using iOS 8 beta I just held my home button for Siri when a song was playing and she automatically shazamed it. I didn't have to ask her what song was playing.
    2014-09-20 07:21 AM
    will this save tags like shazam?
    2014-09-20 02:07 PM
    It did this on the beta. I used it once, but it was pretty cool.
    2014-09-20 06:46 PM
    Cool! Been waiting for this ability.
    2014-09-22 01:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD