Both the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus have broken a sales record over the opening weekend, and Apple reveals in a new press information release Monday morning.

According to the Cupertino-based tech giant, the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus have sold more than 10 million units in the countries that they are available in just three days after the official launch of the devices on Friday, September 19th. The devices have been available for pre-order since Friday, September, 12th.

CUPERTINO, California—September 22, 2014— Apple® today announced it has sold over 10 million new iPhone® 6 and iPhone 6 Plus models, a new record, just three days after the launch on September 19. iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are available in the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore and the UK and will be available in more than 20 additional countries on September 26. The new iPhones will be available in 115 countries by the end of the year.

“Sales for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus exceeded our expectations for the launch weekend, and we couldn’t be happier,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “We would like to thank all of our customers for making this our best launch ever, shattering all previous sell-through records by a large margin. While our team managed the manufacturing ramp better than ever before, we could have sold many more iPhones with greater supply and we are working hard to fill orders as quickly as possible.”
    Tim Cook announces his excitement about the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus release and thanks all of Apple's staff for their great work on the new flagship devices.

Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus both feature an all new 1.4GHz A8 ARM chip designed by Apple to provide a 25% performance boost over the A7 chip, and an M8 motion co-processor chip helps make the iOS 8 system animations more smooth without hindering the performance of the CPU. Graphics from the A8 chip are also impressive, being a while 50% faster than the A7 chip.

The devices also have better cameras than the previous generation, as well as larger displays with better dual-domain IPS display technology for better colors at any angle, as well as NFC technology. Apple's new iOS 8 ships on both devices from the factory.

Sources: Apple
    2014-09-22 04:23 PM
    b...b...b...but naked crook said things like this:

"As customer frustration rises, Android devices will be sold at record numbers."

And this:

"iPhones are past their prime. The only people that use them are old grannies who try to be hip, and dumb little kids with no taste."

so I don't understand. this article must be a lie. right?
    2014-09-22 06:05 PM

"As customer frustration rises, Android devices will be sold at record numbers."

And this:

"iPhones are past their prime. The only people that use them are old grannies who try to be hip, and dumb little kids with no taste."

There are some very good Android phones, the specs are better than the iPhones. What differs is the OS, which has not yet duplicated the value of IOS.

- Not Naked Crook
    2014-09-22 06:12 PM

And this:

Thank you. That's funny.
    2014-09-22 06:12 PM
    another knee-slapper for throwback Monday: the first comment to this article.

http://modmyi.com/showthread.php?t=840302
    2014-09-22 06:22 PM

And this:

Hahahaha! I actually couldn't contain myself from laughing at that one. I'm sorry!
    2014-09-22 06:29 PM
    Can someone please explain how it's possible to have record sales when there were (and still are) numerous reports of very low inventory since launch day (Friday) ?
    2014-09-22 08:49 PM

And this:

That's great lol. I was thinking the same thing and cracked up when I saw your comment.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2014-09-22 09:26 PM
    Only 10% more than last year, while the whole Smartphone market is growing at >50% year over year. You can only call it "doing great" when you are high above the average.
    2014-09-22 09:31 PM
    Only 10% more than last year, while the whole Smartphone market is growing at >50% year over year. You can only call it "doing great" when you are high above the average.
    I think you'll find Apple measure their success more in profits than in market share.
    2014-09-22 09:43 PM
    I think you'll find Apple measure their success more in profits than in market share.
    Not to mention that they haven't even gone in sale in China yet, I don't think.
    2014-09-22 10:03 PM
    I walked by 2 Apple stores today, they still have lines of people waiting for an iPhone. I think demand is seriously higher than most people realize. All iPhones at T-Mobile stores are sold too from what I gather in my area.
    2014-09-23 12:57 AM
    Which never takes into account on how many are returned, due to the hardware/software bugs and faults and lack of interest in apple hardware that just copies everyone else.

The devices also have better cameras than the previous generation, as well as larger displays with better dual-domain IPS display technology for better colors at any angle, as well as NFC technology. Apple's new iOS 8 ships on both devices from the factory.

I would expect that they would be a better camera, but they fact they are using the same crappy 8 MP camera is mind boggling. NFC lol you mean the tech that Android has been cultivating and has many more uses then what Apple is doing. The last part sounds more like a threat considering the bugs that have already been found.
    Last edited by bry2k2; 2014-09-23 at 02:08 AM.
    2014-09-23 02:04 AM
    Which never takes into account on how many are returned, due to the hardware/software bugs and faults and lack of interest in apple hardware that just copies everyone else.

I would expect that they would be a better camera, but they fact they are using the same crappy 8 MP camera is mind boggling. NFC lol you mean the tech that Android has been cultivating and has many more uses then what Apple is doing. The last part sounds more like a threat considering the bugs that have already been found.

I don't doubt that there might be some people returning the iPhone after purchase, but probably not enough to change those numbers released by Apple. But I'll bite.

Lets say it is true, that a lot of people return their iPhones for whatever reason. Let's say 10% of customers are dissatisfied with their purchase and return for a full refund, NOT an exchange for a different iPhone. That would equal to roughly 1 million phones returned. That still means Apple would have 9 million iPhone sales on their release weekend. 9 MILLION iPhones is still a lot, and something samsung or any other phone manufacturer can only dream of for one of their phone releases. It took samsung a MONTH to reach those numbers with their S5 debut what Apple did in a single weekend.

Now if there was really a high rate of dissatisfied buyers and that many returns, I think the media would have picked up on it already. You would have blogs and forums flooding with people saying they are returning the phone.

I have even read the claim, not sure if it was you or someone else, that said that a lot of people were buying 2 iPhones, one 6 and one 6 Plus so they can test out both and decide which to keep. I don't think most people can afford to drop $1400 on entry model iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, let alone higher storage models.

All you naysayers will come up with anything to bash Apple and praise whatever you choose to use. Whatever makes you sleep better at night I suppose.

P.S.

I walked by a couple samsung stores/kiosks at the mall, guess what, they were EMPTY. Just the sales people trying to look busy. Curiously, the Microsoft store at the Topanga Mall had a lot of people waiting in line for something as well. Almost as busy as the Apple store.
    Last edited by NSXrebel; 2014-09-23 at 09:08 AM.
    2014-09-23 09:04 AM
    you could say the same for any device launch. At least Apple reports true sales to consumers, and not shipments to stores that just go into storage rooms like Samsung, or not reporting any numbers and just claiming it's the "best ever" like Amazon.

I would expect that they would be a better camera, but they fact they are using the same crappy 8 MP camera is mind boggling.
    Oh man, another hater that think EMPEES is the most important thing when it comes to photos. I thought we had killed this zombie falsehood years ago with regular cameras, but leave to Samsung and similar manufactures to raise it from the dead again.

Megapixels only really matter after a certain point if you're a pro photographer and/or plan to create prints larger than 8x10. Otherwise, and more importantly, there are several other factors that go into image quality. Don't believe me? Go check out any photo quality comparison among mobile phones. Despite having fewer EMPEES than other phones, Apple is consistantly among the top, and usually only beaten out by lumia's obsurdly powerful camera.

Trust me, the girls your stalking won't be able to tell the difference in your bathroom duckface selfies.
    2014-09-24 12:21 AM
    I walked by 2 Apple stores today, they still have lines of people waiting for an iPhone. I think demand is seriously higher than most people realize. All iPhones at T-Mobile stores are sold too from what I gather in my area.
    What most people don't realize is that not everyone in line gets a phone. Why? Because, according to all the reports I've been seeing, it's not demand that's astronomically high, but rather because the low inventory allocations at each outlet (Apple Stores, carrier stores, etc.) This is nothing new, as Apple is well known for creating an artificial scarcity as a way of making it appear that demand is higher than it is. That's not to say no one wants it. Many certainly do, just not as much as Apple wants everyone to believe.
    2014-09-24 06:01 PM
    What most people don't realize is that not everyone in line gets a phone. Why? Because, according to all the reports I've been seeing, it's not demand that's astronomically high, but rather because the low inventory allocations at each outlet (Apple Stores, carrier stores, etc.) This is nothing new, as Apple is well known for creating an artificial scarcity as a way of making it appear that demand is higher than it is. That's not to say no one wants it. Many certainly do, just not as much as Apple wants everyone to believe.

Yeah, okay. Because Apple would rather have people standing outside their stores waiting in line than to have actual sales.

BTW, I was able to walk in yesterday to the T-Mobile store and get my iPhone 6 and already sold my iPhone 5 for $300.
    2014-09-24 06:41 PM
    Yeah, okay. Because Apple would rather have people standing outside their stores waiting in line than to have actual sales.
    Yes, it seems quite evident that Apple loves having people lining up in this manner. Long lines inherently give the perception to onlookers that there is a lot of demand and that tends to draw more and more people in. In other words, a long line functions as a demand amplifier.

BTW, I was able to walk in yesterday to the T-Mobile store and get my iPhone 6 and already sold my iPhone 5 for $300.
    Yes, I've often had similar luck in carrier stores over the years too.
    2014-09-24 10:01 PM
    I haven't been to the Apple store since last Christmas, but I took my dad shopping today @ Fry's and on the way back I drove by the Apple store. There are about 30 people waiting in line to get the iphone and we have 3 stores in town. I guess I can wait a bit..
    2014-09-25 02:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD