I got over 90mbps on AT&T with my iPhone 5 in 2012. Shortly after, AT&T started throttling so I'm lucky to get 40mbps in a speed test.
    Last edited by Shigoroku; 2014-10-11 at 06:35 AM.
    2014-10-10 01:46 PM
    I got over 90mbps on AT&T with my iPhone 5 in 2012. Shortly after, AT&T started throttling so in lucky to get 40mbps in a speed test.
    Do you really feel like 40mbps is slow? I've heard of people on 3G unlimited occasionally getting throttled to 1 or less mbps, so I'm not sure why people complain about getting 20-40 instead of 60-100 so much since LTE came about. In most cases most people wouldn't even notice the difference unless you're constantly downloading large files from fast servers.
    2014-10-10 06:23 PM
    I got .05mb/s on wifi the other day!

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2014-10-10 06:29 PM
    This is why you shouldn't use random neighboring wifi networks
    2014-10-10 06:44 PM
    This is why you shouldn't use random neighboring wifi networks
    It's my home wifi.

......beware......
    2014-10-10 06:46 PM
    What kind of Internet connection do you have?
    2014-10-10 06:49 PM
    what kind of internet connection do you have?
    dsl

......beware......
    2014-10-10 08:04 PM
    2014-10-10 09:11 PM
    Do you really feel like 40mbps is slow? I've heard of people on 3G unlimited occasionally getting throttled to 1 or less mbps, so I'm not sure why people complain about getting 20-40 instead of 60-100 so much since LTE came about. In most cases most people wouldn't even notice the difference unless you're constantly downloading large files from fast servers.
    No, I don't feel that 40mbps is slow. I just know that AT&T's LTE speed is being capped now and the video in this article is worthless to show what the phones are capable of. It's only showing that the carriers treat these phones differently.

On a side note, AT&T sent me a message shortly after I got this phone (6 Plus) directly from Apple. I had purchased it outright and simply moved the micro SIM from my 5s into the new phone. It was working fine, but AT&T told me to go to a store and get another SIM! I didn't. I just called them and made them move my number to the new micro SIM that came with my new phone originally.

[edit]
    ...and when AT&T throttles my "unlimited" plan after I hit 5GB, I'm lucky to get 0.5mbps from the Ookla Speed Test app.
    Last edited by Shigoroku; 2015-03-28 at 03:52 PM.
    2014-10-11 11:28 PM
    On a side note, AT&T sent me a message shortly after I got this phone (6 Plus) directly from Apple. I had purchased it outright and simply moved the micro SIM from my 5s into the new phone. It was working fine, but AT&T told me to go to a store and get another SIM! I didn't. I just called them and made them move my number to the new micro SIM that came with my new phone originally.
    The NanoSIMS in the 5S are electronically identical to the ones in the new 6's. And, anyway, the SIM used has nothing at all to do with max LTE speeds achievable. Not sure what you're trying to say there..
    Last edited by NewD; 2014-10-12 at 06:03 AM.
    2014-10-12 04:36 AM
    T-Mobile charged me $10 for a new SIM when I activated my 5s and threw the one that came with it away? Are they instructed to do that? This seems ridiculous to me.

The microSIMS in the 5S are electronically identical to the ones in the new 6's. And, anyway, the SIM used has nothing at all to do with max LTE speeds achievable. Not sure what you're trying to say there..
    The SIM in iPhone 5 and up is a Nano-SIM.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 2014-10-12 at 05:53 AM.
    2014-10-12 05:41 AM
    The SIM in iPhone 5 and up is a Nano-SIM.
    Yeah.. I knew that.. edited my post..
    2014-10-12 06:03 AM
    The NanoSIMS in the 5S are electronically identical to the ones in the new 6's. And, anyway, the SIM used has nothing at all to do with max LTE speeds achievable. Not sure what you're trying to say there..
    That's exactly what I was trying to say. My old SIM was working fine in the iPhone 6 Plus when AT&T sent a text message BS-ing me and telling me I needed a new SIM.

I got an AT&T iPhone 5 on contract at launch in 2012 and it came with a nano-SIM already installed, which activated and automatically transferred my phone number from my iPhone 4 micro-SIM.

In 2013, I bought an AT&T 5s outright from a friend of a friend just a week or so after it launched, and moved the nano-SIM from my iPhone 5 into that. It worked fine.

I bought an AT&T iPhone 6 Plus directly from Apple at launch (full price, no contract). It came with a pre-installed nano-SIM, which I removed to install the nano-SIM that I had been using ever since I got my iPhone 5 in 2012. It worked perfectly fine. One or two days later, I got automatic text messages from AT&T telling me that I needed a new / upgraded SIM. I think it specifically instructed me to go to the AT&T store. Refusing to do that, I called AT&T and had them move my number to the other SIM (the one that came pre-installed in my iPhone 6 Plus).

Now, I do think my brother's iPhone 6 Plus (on the same plan) has some kind of SIM provisioning issue. His phone often won't use LTE, even while mine is working fine on LTE. However, it could possibly be caused by his Spigen Neo Hybrid EX Metal bumper case.
    Last edited by Shigoroku; 2015-03-28 at 04:15 PM.
    2015-03-28 04:05 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD