According to the latest estimates from IDC, the Mac may have posted its strongest worldwide market share yet last quarter. As a result, Apple has been placed among the top five global PC vendors for the first time. To get into the nitty gritty, Mac shipments were up an estimated 8.9% in the third quarter of calendar year 2014 to nearly 5 million total units. This was enough to get ahead of ASUS and place Apple in the number 5 position with a 6.3% share of the total worldwide market.

Although Apple has been in the top five computer makers in America, it hadn’t previously gained the status on a worldwide level where cheaper Windows-based PCs have continually dominated the market. A particularly strong back-to-school quarter for Apple led by a refreshed lineup of MacBook Air and MacBook Pro models appears to have raised the Mac into its new found position.

For those of you who didn’t already know, the most recent refresh to the Mac lineup has focused more on value, which is seemingly paying off. Since there weren’t many chip upgrades available from Intel, Apple opted to add more memory and RAM coupled with cutting down on prices across its product lineup. The increased success has been attributed to this particular move from the Cupertino California company.

Overall, total worldwide PC shipments were estimated by IDC to have dropped roughly 1.7% but the top five vendors all saw year-over-year increases. Lenovo was in the first place with 15.7 million units shipped followed by HP with 14.7 million, Dell with 10.4 million and Acer with 6.6 million before Apple rounded out the top five. The results slightly differed from those published by Gartner previously which shows Asus retaining the number 5 worldwide PC position. According to Gartner, Asus shipped 5.8 million units in the third quarter of 2014. On a domestic level, IDC claims Apple’s shipments at 2.2 million units account for 13% of the domestic market. If the estimates are accurate, US sales would be up 9.3% year-over-year. Gartner on the other hand believes Apple shipped 2.4 million units which is good for an estimated 14.3% of the American market share and as a result Mac shipments have increased 14.4% year-over-year.

Concrete numbers will be revealed on October 20th when Apple reports the results of its third fiscal quarter of 2014. We’ll have to wait and see until then.

Source: IDC via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand
    2014-10-09 12:08 AM
    I would never put that much growth with Lenovo or Acer, but I guess it's happening. I thought Dell and HP would be the top contenders. Glad to Apple still gaining some ground though!
    2014-10-09 04:14 PM
    Acer is growing because they make mid-range computers for low-range prices. They don't last long, but for the 2 years they function they get the job done. That's been my experience anyway.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2014-10-09 04:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD