For those of you who missed out on Apple’s event today, the company announced a few new and updated products, as well as some iOS 8 updates. While talking about iOS 8, Craig Federighi from Apple compared Android’s most recent release, KitKat to the company’s newly released iOS 8. A chart was basically shown where percentage of current iOS 8 and older iOS 7 users are split in half. Exact percentage constitutes 48% on iOS 8 and 46% on iOS 7. Then a chart showing the percentage of users on Android’s KitKat points to only 25% whereas 54% are still using Jelly Bean, which was first released back in 2012.

Federighi also noted that it only took 26 days for 48% of users to adopt to iOS 8 whereas it took 313 days for 25% of users to adopt to KitKat. Apple has received much criticism since it’s iOS 8 release, due to issues that arose for users who updated their devices. Despite Apple reporting a positive growth in the new iOS compared to Android, there has actually been slower adoption of iOS 8 compared to when iOS 7 was released last year.

Source: Apple

Twitter: @AkshayMasand
    2014-10-16 11:35 PM
    54% and it was released back in 2012. Who's 2 years late on something this time? And isn't it only the new devices that come preloaded with kitkat? Or could a jeallybean user update to kitkat?
    2014-10-17 12:06 AM
    Prepare for more fragmentation! Android L comes out soon.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2014-10-17 12:36 AM
    This is probably the dumbest comparison I've ever seen. You can't compare adoption rates on Android and Apple devices. There's too many old Androids that are locked down to old OSes, and I don't think Androids are FORCED to use the absolute newest OS either.
    2014-10-17 12:46 AM
    it's also way off, you have no choice when you buy a new iPhone

Edit: not to mention that it's forced adoption, if your iDevice has an issue and you have to restore
    Last edited by dsg; 2014-10-17 at 01:15 AM.
    privacy isn't about having something to hide, another view here

look here all grammar police, indulge me.
    2014-10-17 12:52 AM
    don't see them mention how bad iOS8 is on older versions of iPhones...
    Hell my keyboard disappears when I turn my phone for landscape view on my 6+, not just a few times but quite often!!!!
    2014-10-17 01:10 AM
    And this matters... why? What comparison does this offer that's actually relevant to any consumer? It sounds like they're just throwing more gas on the fire so that fanboys have something ELSE to argue about that isn't relevant to anything.
    2014-10-17 01:24 AM
    54% and it was released back in 2012. Who's 2 years late on something this time? And isn't it only the new devices that come preloaded with kitkat? Or could a jeallybean user update to kitkat?
    That's misleading. Android 4.3 was released only a year ago and that was called "Jellybean" too, so we are arguing semantics. I remember laughing out loud at a Microsoft conference in 2009 when they tried to shame attendees from using XP by calling it "an 8 year old operating system." Why? Because it was still the latest and greatest OS from MS in 2007, making it a two year old operating system.
    2014-10-17 01:40 AM
    ALL Android users can install customized roms, your argument is invalid.
    2014-10-17 03:01 AM
    I doubt I would recal that as an argument
    2014-10-17 03:02 AM
    Any how many of those Rom's are crap? Or don't utilize all the functions on the phone? Plus not being compatible with other rom's/tweaks thus having to reloaded your phone again.

Don't give me some BS answer too! My buddy is a big Droid fan and can't tell you how many times I sit and laugh at him trying out new rom's and this and that screwing up his phone. He's been messing with this stuff for 6 years. I think he has finally given up on custom rom's because it's nothing but problems and issues all the time.
    2014-10-17 05:11 AM
    Only decent custom ROM in my 4 or so years of android was Cyanogennmod. Now, gotta give CM some credit, that was a stinking awesome ROM. Other than that though...

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2014-10-17 05:12 AM
    This is probably the dumbest comparison I've ever seen. You can't compare adoption rates on Android and Apple devices. There's too many old Androids that are locked down to old OSes, and I don't think Androids are FORCED to use the absolute newest OS either.
    So in other words, the bottleneck are the Android devices themselves.

This is why the Apple ecosystem is shining right now.
    2014-10-17 07:21 AM
    I find the naming your OSs after candy thing really off putting. I don't equate candy with a good OS.
    2014-10-17 08:54 AM
    You nailed it.

This is a horrible comparison. Many device manufacturers have special tweaks that they make to the stock Android OS (for example, Samsung's horrid TouchWiz) which slows down the update process a lot. Even if the OEM gets the update done quickly, there is no way of telling how long it will take for your carrier to push it out. Here it is in a nice list:
    1. Google releases new version of Android.
    2. OEM modifies the software to their liking and fills it up with bloatware, if they want (months)
    3. OEM finishes update process, hands off the update to your carrier.
    4. Your carrier decides whether you get the update or not and how fast you get it. This can take weeks or months, sadly.
    With Apple devices, you have:
    1. Apple decides whether your device can handle the newest update, and then releases it to all the devices they have chosen.
    You don't have any of the middlemen with Apple products. This is obviously a good thing for iDevice owners.

I switched to CyanogenMod on my Galaxy S3 and I haven't looked back. I don't miss being stuck on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and being stuck with Samsung's brutally slow and ugly version of Android. Their horrible development team gives Android a bad reputation because Samsung sells the most Android phones, and it really is just sad.

This is not an Apple vs. Samsung comparison, rather a comparison of Apple vs. The entire Android ecosystem. Most carriers and OEMs are just as bad as each other when it comes to pushing out updates.

Again, Apple, you're horribly wrong. iOS adoption is up because Apple tells carriers to get out, and they're the only ones manufacturing and selling phones with iOS, so their customers benefit so much from this. It's not an accurate comparison at all, but it does highlight the big issues with Android being screwed over by carriers and OEMs.

I find the naming your OSs after candy thing really off putting. I don't equate candy with a good OS.
    I find that giving your website a creative name is really off putting. Why not just call it "My Website"?

/s
    Last edited by H4CK3R; 2014-10-17 at 11:50 AM.
    2014-10-17 11:45 AM
    And this matters... why? What comparison does this offer that's actually relevant to any consumer? It sounds like they're just throwing more gas on the fire so that fanboys have something ELSE to argue about that isn't relevant to anything.
    This right here is the one that hits the target. Apple are so full of it sometimes.

So in other words, the bottleneck are the Android devices themselves.

This is why the Apple ecosystem is shining right now.
    Yeah right. Thatís why your wallets are thinner too. Apple forces you to upgrade hardware by putting software blocks in your way when your system is perfectly capable of running well.
    I have a 2006 Mac Pro running Yosemite and running it well. The reason it officially wonít run past 10.7 is because Apple wanted it that way, (they did infact produce a BOOT.EFI capable in one of the DPs but pulled it for 10.8). Anyways, a few good programmers later and hey presto - I donít have to buy a new Mac.

The Apple EcoSystem is shining because they know how to make people spend their money when it is not necessary.
    Last edited by Ambi_Valence; 2014-10-17 at 01:29 PM.
    2014-10-17 01:22 PM
    Exactly!
    2014-10-17 11:09 PM
    don't see them mention how bad iOS8 is on older versions of iPhones...
    Hell my keyboard disappears when I turn my phone for landscape view on my 6+, not just a few times but quite often!!!!
    Yeah mine does this too. Or is non responsive when I try to use the quick reply. I hope all these ios 8 glitches are fixed in 8.1
    2014-10-17 11:45 PM
    This comparison is strongly skewed. While yes fragmentation is an issue with Android, there are also many more Android devices than iOS devices. iOS 8 is only supported on 10 devices (check my math lol), Kitkat is running on hundreds, if not thousands of different devices. Also, people will port newer versions of Android to older phones so with enough willpower and willing to void your warranty, you can be running the latest version. While Android 5.0 Lollipop is going to be the biggest release since ICS, I feel that most devices that ran 4.2 or newer should get it and older devices will get it through the development community.
    2014-10-18 04:00 AM
    This right here is the one that hits the target. Apple are so full of it sometimes.

Yeah right. Thatís why your wallets are thinner too. Apple forces you to upgrade hardware by putting software blocks in your way when your system is perfectly capable of running well.
    I have a 2006 Mac Pro running Yosemite and running it well. The reason it officially wonít run past 10.7 is because Apple wanted it that way, (they did infact produce a BOOT.EFI capable in one of the DPs but pulled it for 10.8). Anyways, a few good programmers later and hey presto - I donít have to buy a new Mac.

The Apple EcoSystem is shining because they know how to make people spend their money when it is not necessary.
    so youre saying your 06 macpro running yosmite runs all of osemites features 100%?

You nailed it.

This is a horrible comparison. Many device manufacturers have special tweaks that they make to the stock Android OS (for example, Samsung's horrid TouchWiz) which slows down the update process a lot. Even if the OEM gets the update done quickly, there is no way of telling how long it will take for your carrier to push it out. Here it is in a nice list:
    2. OEM modifies the software to their liking and fills it up with bloatware, if they want (months)
    4. Your carrier decides whether you get the update or not and how fast you get it. This can take weeks or months, sadly.
    1. Apple decides whether your device can handle the newest update, and then releases it to all the devices they have chosen.
    You don't have any of the middlemen with Apple products. This is obviously a good thing for iDevice owners.

I switched to CyanogenMod on my Galaxy S3 and I haven't looked back. I don't miss being stuck on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and being stuck with Samsung's brutally slow and ugly version of Android. Their horrible development team gives Android a bad reputation because Samsung sells the most Android phones, and it really is just sad.

This is not an Apple vs. Samsung comparison, rather a comparison of Apple vs. The entire Android ecosystem. Most carriers and OEMs are just as bad as each other when it comes to pushing out updates.

Again, Apple, you're horribly wrong. iOS adoption is up because Apple tells carriers to get out, and they're the only ones manufacturing and selling phones with iOS, so their customers benefit so much from this. It's not an accurate comparison at all, but it does highlight the big issues with Android being screwed over by carriers and OEMs.

I find that giving your website a creative name is really off putting. Why not just call it "My Website"?

/s
    i switched to a galaxy s3 (when they first came out, i was excited to do so also)installed CM 30 minutes after i got it home

it was crap...rooted users like JB users have a certain failure/break/fix mentality rate thats acceptable to them, the phone still forze, it did run smoother, an 90% of the time it was tolerable, but my 4 compared to at that time ran just as smooth with no issues. For everyone boasting the CM on the s3 was gods gift to mobile devices, it was very far from that.

you made the exact arguments on WHY Apple made this comparo to begin with. Cohesiveness.

How many different expereinces can you get by using different android products/manufacturers/carriers. What is the expereince like when you go from device to device on apple?

Im also pretty sure apple doenst force you to but new products or adopt to their new OS, if you want to use the new stuff they are pushing out, then you gotta pay to play. Thats a pretty simple idea to grasp. Its also the reason why all other manaufacturers are releasing new phones every year.

Last edited by drigo1178; 2014-10-20 at 07:20 PM.
    2014-10-20 07:07 PM
22 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD