Does this work on older Macs? I have a mid/late 2011 iMac and I read that a lot of the new features that bridge communications between iPhones and Macs don't work on any macs prior to 2012.

Most of my friends are on iPhones anyway, so this will work as always via iMessage, but it would be nice to have for those rare cases when someone texts me from a non-Apple phone or when iMessage isn't working.
    I haven't tested this myself yet but I'm going to say probably not. It feels like handoff is what is used for this and almost any Mac before this year will not work with it (without replacing parts and/or modifying kext). It sucks that Apple doesn't support services like macs when they are almost 4 times as expensive as their more accessible devices. I will create an edit after work on whether or not it works on my Early 2011 Macbook Pro.

*EDIT* This does work on my Mac so it should work with any device at least from early 2011 onward. Now the only problem is that you have to have your phone number and one email linked to both devices you want SMS relay to work on. I hate having an email linked to my phone because I have always had bad experiences with it deciding to message from there instead of my phone number. Hopefully this has been since fixed so I can continue using SMS relay for as long as my Mac is supported.
    Last edited by TDH Advocate; 2014-10-22 at 02:40 AM.
    2014-10-21 05:12 PM
    I have it set up on a 2010 and a 2011 MacBook Pro. Haven't tested it though
    2014-10-21 06:20 PM
    Does this work on older Macs? I have a mid/late 2011 iMac and I read that a lot of the new features that bridge communications between iPhones and Macs don't work on any macs prior to 2012.

Most of my friends are on iPhones anyway, so this will work as always via iMessage, but it would be nice to have for those rare cases when someone texts me from a non-Apple phone or when iMessage isn't working.
    I have an older MacBook Pro myself (Early 2011) and I did get this feature to work on it this morning and it did include text to people who did not have iPhones. I think Handoff and Continuity might not be available to me, but this feature is.
    2014-10-21 06:54 PM
    I have an older MacBook Pro myself (Early 2011) and I did get this feature to work on it this morning and it did include text to people who did not have iPhones. I think Handoff and Continuity might not be available to me, but this feature is.
    This is awesome news. I know handoff doesn't work so I assumed the messages wouldn't either. I'm glad that I can actually set up a very useful feature like this.
    2014-10-21 07:54 PM
    Just upgraded my iPhone 6, the new options appeared in Settings. Pretty sweet!!
    2014-10-21 08:43 PM
    Hi All,

I had similar Problems with getting this working between iPhone 5, MBP 2011 and iPad Air.

The MBP worked almost seemlessly, popping up with the code, but the iPad Air wouldn't give me a code at all. I tried the usual ideas of disable Handoff, disable iMessage, log out of iCloud, and then do all back in reverse, but got no where. Until I noticed that my iPad was only setup for 3 Send & Receive Address (Settings -> Messages -> Send & Receive) whilst my iPhone had 4.

Once I clicked the checkbox to allow four on the iPad as well it worked perfectly, looks like you need to ensure that the Send & Receive Addresses are the same between all your devices.

The 4th one for me was just my cell number so it could be that this is the only one required as well..

Hope this helps someone!

Thanks
    Dan
    2014-10-21 09:42 PM
    Hi All,

I had similar Problems with getting this working between iPhone 5, MBP 2011 and iPad Air.

The MBP worked almost seemlessly, popping up with the code, but the iPad Air wouldn't give me a code at all. I tried the usual ideas of disable Handoff, disable iMessage, log out of iCloud, and then do all back in reverse, but got no where. Until I noticed that my iPad was only setup for 3 Send & Receive Address (Settings -> Messages -> Send & Receive) whilst my iPhone had 4.

Once I clicked the checkbox to allow four on the iPad as well it worked perfectly, looks like you need to ensure that the Send & Receive Addresses are the same between all your devices.

The 4th one for me was just my cell number so it could be that this is the only one required as well..

Hope this helps someone!

Thanks
    Dan
    +1
    It works between my ip6 and MBP
    2014-10-22 12:02 AM
    I was finally able to get it working too. I had to close out/sign out of my MBP in messages and re-sign back in. Once I did that a pop up came up asking to enable the feature. I had to enter a code on my iPhone. Once I did that it showed up on my phone that I could add another device (which was my iPad).

Yeah! It's working now.
    2014-10-22 01:18 AM
    You can relay your iPhone SMS messages to any iOS 8.1 device, or any OS X Yosemite machine.

No matter the device, the steps to set it up are the same.
    I know that. I have been doing that since the beginning. I remember reading that if your phone is in another room and you have your iPad on you, you could answer the call from the iPad on wifi. I have tmobile and wifi calling setup.

Just curious because I don't always have my phone on me.
    2014-10-22 05:08 PM
    I can't get mines to work. But I did read somewhere how your Mac needs to be 2012 or later. Mines is late 2011 maybe this is the reason why cause I keep getting an error the reads your Mac isn't comparable. This sucks as I was waiting for this since it was mentioned at the event. Hopefully Apple changes that later
    2014-10-23 04:01 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD