On Wednesday, the infamous Pangu jailbreak team released a new Chinese jailbreak tool for Windows that has the ability to jailbreak iOS 8.0 through iOS 8.1. If you were thinking about jumping on board with the jailbreak right now, you should probably think twice. Yeah, a jailbreak is cool and all, but the jailbreak JUST came out and there's a lot of work to do. Here are four major reasons on why you should wait a little while.

1. Bugs

Being that the jailbreak tool just came out, it's bound to be buggy. It's only been about a month since the release of iOS 8 to the public, and since then, this new jailbreak tool that can already jailbreak Apple's latest iOS 8.1 operating system is out. That means that the testing period for Pangu for iOS 8 was very short and that there are bound to be bugs plaguing the software. Bugs range from the occasional jailbreak failure to software incompatibilities. It's a good idea to wait until a few updates are made to the tool, just to make sure that it's safe to actually jailbreak on your device without causing problems.

2. Cydia is Not Yet Included in the Jailbreak Bundle

Since the Pangu jailbreak tool for iOS 8 was released before Cydia for iOS 8, the initial version of the jailbreak tool only allows you to install things via SSH. Yesterday, Saurik released Cydia for iOS 8, which can be manually installed by the user if they want to run Cydia, but those that don't have knowledge of SSH, or don't want to go through the trouble, should hold off until a future version of Pangu for iOS 8 includes Cydia in the jailbreak bundling process automatically.

3. Several Jailbreak Tweaks Are Not Ready Yet

Another thing that you might want to consider before just jumping aboard without thought is that there are several jailbreak tweaks that need to be updated with iOS 8 compatibility. Saurik just released Cydia Substrate for iOS 8 Thursday morning, so now developers can officially begin testing their iOS 8 jailbreak tweaks before releasing them to the public. Since a myraid of tweaks aren't even iOS 8 supported yet, you won't get the most out of your iOS 8 jailbreak right now. While some tweaks will work out of the box, many need to upgraded to work with iOS 8's new features and structure. Waiting a little while to jailbreak will give developers more time to update their tweaks for the new operating system, and hopefully by then, Pangu will already have been updated with bug fixes and include Cydia in the jailbreak bundling process.

4. The Jailbreak Tool is Chinese-only and Windows-only

If you're a Mac user, you have to wait anyhow unless you have access to a Windows machine, Bootcamp, or virtual machine. Pangu for iOS 8 is currently in Chinese, and it only supports Windows at this point in time. The Pangu jailbreak team did tell us that an English version of the jailbreak tool is coming soon, but they also said that they're in no rush to release an Mac OS X tool because there's a lot of work to be done (such as stability fixes and bug fixes?). Since this is the initial release of the jailbreak, we recommend waiting until there's at least an English version, or perhaps a Mac OS X version of the tool; hopefully by then, more stability and bug fixes will have been implemented.

Oh... and One More Thing...

This isn't really a reason not to jailbreak, but we figured it would be a good idea to warn you.

DON'T fall for scams that try to get you to BUY a jailbreak. Pangu for iOS 8 is offered as a free download from Pangu's Web site. If a Web site attempts to get you to buy the Pangu for iOS 8 jailbreak, like the one pictured below, do not buy it; every major jailbreak to date has been offered as a free download:

By all means, if none of the above four reasons appeal to you, you have the power to jailbreak your iOS 8 device right now. In time, everything will be updated for iOS 8, so there's no real harm in jailbreaking right now. You will just have to deal with some bugs in the mean time.

Check out our video explaining this post below:

Stay tuned for more!
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2014-10-23 at 11:12 PM.
    2014-10-23 09:43 PM
    Great info Anthony! I JB'd but noted there wasn't really much I could do. I'll wait for the official bundle to drop.
    2014-10-23 09:58 PM
    anybody got any info on the photo attachments not working with iMessage? i understand it's still in it's infancy... for now i've rolled back and will wait it out awhile.
    2014-10-23 10:12 PM
    BytaFont 2 & nopagedots may be enough to push me to JB right now. I miss my caviar dreams.
    2014-10-23 10:38 PM
    I was able to JB when it was initially released. I installed cydia manually and updated substrate. I made the mistake and downloaded wb. It froze my phone. I restored and attempted to JB again. For some reason pangu wasn't completing the Jb. It would take so long to "inject" the JB and at step 5, the progress bar wouldn't make it all the way to the end. I gave up after three attempts. I'll just wait for an updated pang version.
    2014-10-23 11:41 PM
    I'm looking forward to a complete package coming out soon maybe a Halloween present?
    iOS 8 is almost good enough to not jailbreak for me since they included quick reply sms, but it's still not as good as bitesms
    2014-10-23 11:52 PM
    "the infamous Pangu jailbreak team"

Infamous, why? Famous, not infamous.
    2014-10-24 12:19 AM
    So will Pangu be our only jailbreak option from now on?

Are we now in the era of Chinese-only jailbreaks?
    2014-10-24 01:59 AM
    Considering what the Chinese government is doing to its own Apple users, I'll wait, thank you. They seem to have their tentacles everywhere, and everyone has their price.
    2014-10-24 02:14 AM
    Sounds like old school jailbreaking to me. I love it. Separates the men from the men who live in momma's basement. #1 reason to wait bugs? Seriously? 8.0.1 was a giant bug and it came directly from Apple. Bugs are par for the course.
    2014-10-24 03:05 AM
    Sounds like old school jailbreaking to me. I love it. Separates the men from the men who live in momma's basement. #1 reason to wait bugs? Seriously? 8.0.1 was a giant bug and it came directly from Apple. Bugs are par for the course.
    You go first... We're right behind you... Honest!
    2014-10-24 03:18 AM
    Question: Let's say I jb now. When the new version of Pangu is released, and a patch becomes available on Cydia... does installing the patch equate to restoring/rejailbreaking with the updated tool?

Anytime I've installed a jb update patch via Cydia I've wondered this, but never bothered looking into it.
    2014-10-24 04:51 AM
    My only reason for not jailbreaking right out the gate is because I'm worried about my 2 credit cards currently stored in Apple Pay. ijs
    2014-10-24 06:07 AM
    Sorry guys but WORKED PERFECT! JB on iPhone 6 Plus via ios 8.0.2 & have no issue what so ever!
    2014-10-24 06:57 AM
    So will Pangu be our only jailbreak option from now on?

Are we now in the era of Chinese-only jailbreaks?
    Pangu appears to be more motivated for faster releases.

One thing I miss from the evad3rs was their attention to detail. They almost hardly ever let too many bugs through to the public release.

Question: Let's say I jb now. When the new version of Pangu is released, and a patch becomes available on Cydia... does installing the patch equate to restoring/rejailbreaking with the updated tool?

Anytime I've installed a jb update patch via Cydia I've wondered this, but never bothered looking into it.
    A clean install and re-jailbreak is the most stable and most preferred way. The patch, on the other hand, usually can keep you pretty stable, but it's just not as polished.
    2014-10-24 07:12 AM
    Considering what the Chinese government is doing to its own Apple users, I'll wait, thank you. They seem to have their tentacles everywhere, and everyone has their price.
    Unlike the American government which respects privacy.

one thing i miss from the evad3rs^h^h^h^h^h apple was their attention to detail. They almost hardly ever let too many bugs through to the public release.
    ftfy.
    Last edited by buggsy2; 2014-10-24 at 03:56 PM.
    2014-10-24 03:54 PM
    Lmao this is a funny post. Jailbreaking is all about tinkering! Little bit of poking around and viola!

Attachment 684640
    Attachment 684642
    Last edited by Anonomys; 2014-10-24 at 06:58 PM.
    2014-10-24 06:55 PM
    What theme is that? I love it!

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2014-10-24 08:25 PM
    Gunnii
    2014-10-24 08:43 PM
    Lmao this is a funny post. Jailbreaking is all about tinkering! Little bit of poking around and viola!

Attachment 684640
    Attachment 684642
    Could you please share the walls?
    Thanks
    2014-10-24 11:01 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD