Fitbit recently gave fitness fanatics three new options for wrist-worn activity trackers. The company introduced the Charge and Charge HR along with the Fitbit Surge, which the company is calling a “fitness super watch.” This is all an effort to stay relevant in the market which continues to grow rapidly as many big names including Apple are set to join the industry in the near future.

The Fitbit Charge and Charge HR are successors to the Fitbit Force. The devices continue to track several activity metrics including steps taken, distance traveled, calories burned and floors climbed. Both of the devices include the same small, slightly-angled OLED display that shows both the current time AND the daily fitness statistics. Features that carry over from the Force include sleep tracking, vibration alarms, Caller ID display and exercise tracking.

The Charge HR in specific adds a few more features to the mix. It has a bit more of a watch-like band closure and adds continue heart rate monitoring via built-in optical pulse tracking technology. The two previous fitness bands are rated for seven and five days of battery life respectively.

The Fitbit Surge on the other hand is an all-new “fitness super watch” which comes with a larger touch-screen LCD panel. It includes a built-in GPS receiver to track larger movement statistics including pace, distance, elevation, split times and route history. The Surge also has eight sensors, including 3-axis accelerometers, gyroscope, compass, ambient light sensor, GPS and heart rate sensors. Additionally, to compete with other fully-featured smart watches in the industry, the Surge can also receive text alerts on the device and gain the ability to control music on their mobile phone. Furthermore, the Surge sports a seven day battery life.

Those of you interested in the Fitbit Charge can purchase one for $129.95 in black or slate with colors such as blue and burgundy coming soon. The Charge HR and Surge are set to be released in “early 2015” for a price tag of $149.95 and $249.95 respectively. Are any of you interested in purchasing any of the new Fitbit devices?

Source: Fitbit via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand
    2014-10-28 09:21 AM
    I used to have the Force and might consider the Charge. I would say yes for sure if I knew they were going to integrate with the health app but since they have said they don't plan on it I will probably pass and go back to the UP24. I am also checking out the new Viosmart by Garmin.
    2014-10-28 03:34 PM
    Tempting.
    2014-10-28 04:52 PM
    Yeah I was upset when they announced they wouldn't integrate with the apple health app. So what I do is use myfitnesspal to sync to health app and fitbit and other health apps to sync to myfitnesspal. Works like a charm.
    2014-10-28 07:54 PM
    I've been looking to replace my fuel band with something that will do heart rate but if they aren't going to support Healthkit then I guess I'll look elsewhere.
    2014-10-30 11:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD