There’s a huge flaw with their “we care” BS: it only works if their CurrentC option has Credit Card option, but it doesn’t. It only lets you pay by debiting your bank account directly! So all they are doing is limiting their customer’s payment options, which cannot be characterized as “caring” in any way at all!

Furthermore, and ignoring the level of security provided through each option, a consumer is much safer in the event their credit card info is stolen over bank info because CC companies will not hold you accountable for fraudulent charges, but if someone gets into your bank account and takes your money, you’re just out of luck, and money!

[quotes]MCX's members believe merchants are in the best position to provide a mobile solution because of their deep insights into their customers' shopping and buying experiences.[/quote]

LOLWUT?? How does knowing WHAT I buy have anything to do with HOW I pay for them??? I can buy the same things from the same store over and over, and use credit, debit or cash depending on what I want to use! And since CurrentC only lets you use direct bank debit, this makes even less sense (if less than 0 is possible)

Saying you care about the customer by eliminating a payment options is ridiculous! Nobody with half a brain should believe this line of crap. They are going to lose this PR battle big time! Too bad the general public has become too apathetic to push back on this kind of crap and make the merchants change their minds.
    2014-10-29 04:31 PM
    There are certainly a lot of compelling technologies being developed, which is great for the mobile-commerce industry as a whole. Ultimately, what matters is that consumers have a payment option that is widely accepted, secure and developed with their best interests in mind.
    NFC is a widely accepted, secure, and developed technology. NFC has been embedded in many credit cards for years and has now been adopted by platforms such as Google Wallet and Apple Pay as an extension of that technology to allow consumers to access their credit cards without having to carry around a wallet full of cards.

MCX member merchants already collectively serve a majority of Americans every day. MCX's members believe merchants are in the best position to provide a mobile solution because of their deep insights into their customers' shopping and buying experiences.
    Apple already serves a majority of American smartphone users every day, and is very experienced at processing payments through their Apple Stores - both physical and online - as well as iTunes and App Store. Apple also has a history as a technology company and a mobile device company that dates back to the original Mac Portable and the Newton. Apple has a track record of success with developing mobility solutions and secure digital payment solutions, whereas Walmart et al does not, at least not nearly on the scale as Apple has. Beyond that... Customer's shopping and buying experiences are enhanced by having more consumer choice - purposely blocking a mature technology like NFC that can be used, without modification, with emerging technology like Apple Pay is blocking consumer choice and degrading the shopping and buying experience.

Honestly, this makes no sense why the merchants care how they get paid just as long as they do get paid. And merchants as big as Walmart I'm sure aren't paying huge percentages for credit card swipes given their transaction volume, I'm sure they get a volume discount.
    Last edited by PCYoda; 2014-10-29 at 05:44 PM.
    2014-10-29 05:03 PM
    I shopped at Walmart the other day for groceries (closest store to me that sells groceries) and an employee informed me that they don't accept apple pay after looking at my 6. I told him I already knew that and he had the audacity to tell me that when MCX debut I could use that. I nicely told him I wouldn't dream of giving Walmart access to my checking account. Never will I support y'all unsecure method of payment.
    2014-10-29 05:20 PM
    It's hard to believe someone who can afford a new iPhone would shop at Walmart.
    2014-10-29 05:33 PM
    It's hard to believe someone who can afford a new iPhone would shop at Walmart.
    You try living in the suburbs while your car is in the shop and the closest store within a mile is Walmart and you have to walk with a 3 year old on a road with no sidewalks and no bus stop within 1.5 miles.
    2014-10-29 05:48 PM
    I don't like to shop at Walmart but I do now and again. There are certain commodity items that are just less expensive there - by significant enough amounts to justify going there as opposed to buying elsewhere. I go to discount stores like Big Lots and Dollar Tree too. Being an iPhone user doesn't mean you can't be a savvy shopper...

And, honestly, affording a new iPhone isn't exactly difficult. I can get a 32GB base model iPhone 6 with $0 down and cost around $10/week from T-Mobile. When it's rolled into the monthly charge over time it's not really that expensive.
    2014-10-29 05:49 PM
    My sister just called me crying because she received an email from CurrentC about email addresses being obtained from a 3rd party. I told her she should've stuck with Apple Pay 😂. Wish I could upload the screen shot she sent me.
    2014-10-29 05:56 PM
    So... MCX confirms CurentC email breach

MCX's data was hacked and email addresses of beta testers of CurrentC were stolen by a third party.

Yet... (from http://www.mcx.com/blog/answers-to-your-questions/):

Users’ payment information is instead stored in our secure cloud-hosted network. Removing this sensitive information from the mobile device significantly lowers the risk of it being inappropriately disclosed in a case that the mobile device is hacked, stolen or otherwise compromised.
    So the company that just had all of its subscribers' email addresses accessed from their cloud wants me to believe their cloud is a more secure place for my personal data than a highly encrypted chip on my own personal device that I keep track of myself?

MCX and all of the companies that are supporting it are being complete idiots and acting in such an anti-consumer manner, they have absolutely ZERO chance for success and are wasting their time... just partner with Apple Pay already.
    2014-10-29 06:26 PM
    Oh look. Already hacked too. POS's!

CurrentC Hacked - Business Insider
    2014-10-30 03:47 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD