If you're on iOS 8, then you already know that the new operating system includes a feature called "Hey Siri" that allows you to simply say the words "Hey Siri" while your device is connected to a power source in order for Siri to open up without ever using your hands to hold down the Home Button.

Unfortunately, the feature is limited to when you're connected to a power source because it will use some of your battery life while listening for you to say those words. Well, some of us just don't care and want to be able to use this feature anywhere, whether we're connected to a power source, or we're just out and about without a power source.

If this sounds like you, and you're jailbroken on iOS 8.x using the latest Pangu jailbreak tool, then you can install a new free jailbreak tweak called UntetheredHeySiri by iOS developer Hamza Sood.

This tweak modifies the "Hey Siri" option under Settings > General > Hey Siri so that you can actually choose between enabling the feature between being connected to a power source, or enabling the feature at any time you want to, whether you're connected to a power source or not, as shown below:

If "Hey Siri" is a fun feature to you, and you want to be able to bring it anywhere, even when you're not connected to a power source, then this is the tweak for you. It's available for free right now in Cydia's BigBoss repository and does require a device running iOS 8.0 through iOS 8.1 to be installed.

Name: UntetheredHeySiri
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: iOS 8.0-8.1
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Hamza Sood
    Editor's Rating:  5/5
    2014-10-30 05:06 PM
    Can someone explain exactly how hey siri works? I understand the basic functionality, but it just seems like it couldn't work without listening in on everything...
    2014-10-30 05:14 PM
    It would be interesting to see exactly how much battery life this tweak uses.
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR
    2014-10-30 05:18 PM
    Can someone explain exactly how hey siri works? I understand the basic functionality, but it just seems like it couldn't work without listening in on everything...
    You're correct. It always listens but only for a specific phrase and initiates once it's heard
    2014-10-30 05:19 PM
    Wszz z
    2014-10-30 07:13 PM
    I love walking into a room with 1 or more people charging their iPhones and just speak 'hey Siri' loudly. Lol

That's probably why it's not enabled all the time. That and battery drain
    2014-10-30 07:17 PM
    Hey Siri is a terrible feature, and worse it replaced a far more useful feature, "lift to speak"
    Anyone here use the lift to speak and wonder why your device no longer responds when placed to your ear.

Why is lift to speak a superior feature? because after you could quietly give Siri a command as if you are on phone call with it to your ear, Siri will repeat the command and ask the typical confirmation privately via the ear speaker.
    Instead the use of home button and Hey Siri results in you needing to shout at your phone and Siri shouting back out loud for all to hear, including any misunderstood words.
    2014-10-30 07:24 PM
    Hey Siri is a terrible feature, and worse it replaced a far more useful feature, "lift to speak"
    Anyone here use the lift to speak and wonder why your device no longer responds when placed to your ear.

Why is lift to speak a superior feature? because after you could quietly give Siri a command as if you are on phone call with it to your ear, Siri will repeat the command and ask the typical confirmation privately via the ear speaker.
    Instead the use of home button and Hey Siri results in you needing to shout at your phone and Siri shouting back out loud for all to hear, including any misunderstood words.
    Perhaps both can be made available. I personally love Hey Siri.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2014-10-30 07:46 PM
    Hey Siri is awesome when cooking. Hands covered in crap, I can still set timers. 👍

And getting directions when riding the bike!
    2014-10-30 10:13 PM
    This is a feature I would love to have available 24/7. However, I can see why Apple chose to only have it available when charging. The battery drain is pretty intense and makes this tweak unusable IMO.

I didn't run any "controlled" tests, but with the tweak turned on my battery dropped 10% over a 50 minute span.
    2014-11-08 02:56 AM
    This is a feature I would love to have available 24/7. However, I can see why Apple chose to only have it available when charging. The battery drain is pretty intense and makes this tweak unusable IMO.

I didn't run any "controlled" tests, but with the tweak turned on my battery dropped 10% over a 50 minute span.
    Not sure what device you have but 10% an hour was normal for my ip5S on 7.1.2. I'd say you are receiving minimal drain if you're only having a 2% drain from the tweak itself.
    2014-11-08 03:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD