If you've been waiting to update to iOS 8 and jailbreak it until Pangu becomes more stable, then now is a pretty good time to go ahead and make the leap. iOS 8.1.1 is right around the corner, and it patches the Pangu iOS 8 jailbreak. With that being said, now is a great time to start upgrading your iOS device(s) to iOS 8.1 and start jailbreaking them with the latest version of the Pangu jailbreak tool for iOS 8. Moreover, the tool has received several bug fixes, and is now much more user friendly than the initial release.

When iOS 8.1.1 is released, Apple will close the signing window for iOS 8.1, which means if you wait, you will be unable to upgrade to iOS 8.1 and you will be stuck with a firmware that cannot be jailbroken. If you update to iOS 8.1 right now, on the other hand, you will be able to jailbreak right now and you'll be all set.

A few tips you may want to follow to ensure a smooth iOS 8.1 jailbreak include:

• You'll want to DFU restore to iOS 8.1 before jailbreaking
    • Do not use OTA (over the air) update to get to the latest firmware
    • You won't want to restore your device from a backup; instead, set up the device as new
    • Don't use a passcode or Touch ID until after you've installed Cydia and set it up
    • Enable Airplane Mode before the jailbreak process

A DFU mode restore ensures that you have a nice clean install of iOS 8.1 on your device and helps rid you of potential bugs waiting to happen. Since Pangu doesn't support jailbreaking OTA (over the air)-updated devices, it's a good idea to DFU restore any device that has been updated over the air to prevent problems. When your iOS device pops up in iTunes, choose to set the device up as new instead of restoring from a backup; devices restored from a backup have been known to fail during the Pangu jailbreak process.

Once you're all set with a fresh install of iOS 8.1, you can follow this guide on how to jailbreak your iOS 8.0-8.1 device using Pangu 1.2 for Windows. Cydia is now bundled with the jailbreak for you, so there is no need to install it manually anymore.

Happy jailbreaking folks; take advantage of it while you can!
    2014-11-04 08:50 PM
    Hmmm. Sounds like a hassle. Especially signing back into every single app and setting notification preferences again after setting up as a new device. Starting to wonder if it's going to be worth it...
    2014-11-04 09:18 PM
    The most important thing is to update all devices now to 8.1. Unless I'm mistaken, the jailbreak itself can wait since signing is not required for jailbreaking. If I'm wrong about that please chime in!

The only risk to that though is if the jailbreak fails and you need to Restore and Apple has stopped signing 8.1. Personally I'm waiting for the Mac version.

When your iOS device pops up in iTunes, choose to set the device up as new instead of restoring from a backup; devices restored from a backup have been known to fail during the Pangu jailbreak process.
    Actually, this Reddit article indicates that it's fine to Restore your phone from Backup prior to jailbreaking. Here is the article:
    It's best to restore to 8.1 now if you haven't already (if you want to jailbreak iOS 8); summary of current jailbreak status : jailbreak

But the relevant portion reads:

"... a reasonable jailbreaking sequence is to use the iTunes "restore" feature to put your device on iOS 8.1, put your old data on your phone using the iTunes "restore from backup" feature, and then jailbreak your device and run Cydia. "

That is the workflow I've used for all my many JBs. I should mention that I always start that process with a clean DFU mode install of the new iOS, so I've never had any problems.

Kupe
    Last edited by Kupe; 2014-11-04 at 10:00 PM.
    2014-11-04 09:20 PM
    if your happy with your Jailbreak on iOS 7.x.x ignore this article

Edit: the Pangu iOS 8 jailbreak is still very buggy, best to let iOS 8.1.1 come out and see if they release a better jailbreak
    privacy isn't about having something to hide, another view here

look here all grammar police, indulge me.
    2014-11-04 09:31 PM
    Yeah, while i like the fact i am able to JB and use some tweaks..others are still not updated or fully compatible. I cannot even use Activator because it causes the double tap home button not to work. I need that feature to reach certain things within apps. Other than that I am please with what Pangu has done thus far.
    2014-11-04 09:56 PM
    Yeah, while i like the fact i am able to JB and use some tweaks..others are still not updated or fully compatible. I cannot even use Activator because it causes the double tap home button not to work. I need that feature to reach certain things within apps. Other than that I am please with what Pangu has done thus far.
    That was broke for me on 7.1.

Edit: the Pangu iOS 8 jailbreak is still very buggy, best to let iOS 8.1.1 come out and see if they release a better jailbreak
    I haven't had any bugs. Then again, I'm on a 64 bit device and they all seem to occur on 32 bits.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2014-11-04 09:59 PM
    So if I upgraded, then restored a backup then jail broke my phone, I should do it in the order above?
    2014-11-04 10:06 PM
    Backup, upgrade, JB, restore from backup.
    2014-11-04 10:10 PM
    Just need winterboard and springtomize 3 to be updated and I'll be happy with my jailbreak
    2014-11-04 10:18 PM
    So if I upgraded, then restored a backup then jail broke my phone, I should do it in the order above?
    I've heard a lot of mixed stories about restoring from a backup, and I wouldn't personally write a recommendation that you DON'T restore and then put my name on it. I seriously suggest a clean restore before jailbreaking with Pangu for iOS 8, without restoring from a backup.
    2014-11-04 10:22 PM
    Just need winterboard and springtomize 3 to be updated and I'll be happy with my jailbreak
    Amen 🙏
    2014-11-04 10:24 PM

Nope your 100% wrong, This is not buggy been running it for a week and its quite stable.

What's buggy are tweaks.

Many others including myself have no problems.

Also staying on 7x JB leaves you behind and unable to enjoy the newer apps that come out

Best advice is upgrade and JB now

The tweaks and JB will only get better.

What if 8.1.1 is worse or closes JB, you are aware that Apple hired some former JB community to help close the future JB? Latest report is 8.1.1 closes JB!
    Last edited by WHUDS; 2014-11-04 at 10:33 PM.
    2014-11-04 10:26 PM
    Backup, upgrade, JB, restore from backup.
    This worked for me on my iPhone 6. I'm about to do my iPad Air, which has been jail broken on 7.1.2 for quite some time.
    2014-11-04 10:48 PM
    Gonna JB my mini retina now. Wish me luck hah
    2014-11-04 11:01 PM
    Gonna JB my mini retina now. Wish me luck hah
    My iPad Mini 2 Retina has no issue at all
    2014-11-04 11:07 PM
    I'm gonna have to wait on this unfortunately. I have an app on my phone that I need for work and I can't use it while jailbroken. Until Flex 2 is updated for user installed apps, I'm stuck for now.
    2014-11-04 11:12 PM
    Question: If I've never updated my phone OTA, do I really need to bother with DFU, or can I just go ahead and upgrade to 8.1 via itunes, the normal way?
    2014-11-04 11:39 PM
    Question: If I've never updated my phone OTA, do I really need to bother with DFU, or can I just go ahead and upgrade to 8.1 via itunes, the normal way?
    As long as you haven't restored from a backup, you shouldn't have to DFU restore if you haven't updated OTA.
    2014-11-04 11:42 PM
    Well I may have restored from a backup the last time I jailbroke my phone, when the first pangu release came out over the summer.

Meaning I updated to 7.2, jailbroke and then restored from a backup.

Does that count?
    2014-11-04 11:43 PM
    Well I may have restored from a backup the last time I jailbroke my phone, when the first pangu release came out over the summer.

Meaning I updated to 7.2, jailbroke and then restored from a backup.

Does that count?
    Exactly what I did. Now in the process of restoring from backup after 8.1 upgrade and Pangu JB.
    2014-11-04 11:45 PM
129 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD