According to MacRumors, those who are still on an older version of iOS, have reported that Apple has sent out emails encouraging users to upgrade to iOS 8. The most recent mobile operating system was released back in September, but many who upgraded reported issues and bugs with the new iOS. In the email, the Cupertino-based company notified users that they had an update waiting, specifically iOS 8. The latest features were also noted within the email.

It has been reported that iOS 8 adoption has been slower than the previous adoption of iOS 7. Many showed concern that the over the air update would take up 5GB of free space without knowing that it could be installed using iTunes. As noted by a MacRumors reader:

This isn't surprising to me. I have friends who are still on iOS 7 because they don't have enough free space available to upgrade. When I tell them they can upgrade by connecting their phones to their computers, and thus, doing it through iTunes, they look at me like I'm crazy, or like it's 2008 or something.
    In the email, instructions on exactly how to update devices were given. Apple let users know that they can do so either wirelessly or through iTunes if the devices didn’t have enough storage. This may prompt many users to upgrade as noted above, a lot of people didn’t know doing so through iTunes was even an option. The email may catch the attention of most owning a 16GB device as the major concern is running out of space.

With Apple’s recent release of Apple Pay, users adopting to iOS 8 have increased by some. Apple Pay only works for consumers on the company’s latest iOS 8.1 rollout. MixPanel has noted that as of November, iOS 8 is on approximately 59% of user devices. It was previously at 48% on October 13th, and then up to 52% on October 27th. We’d imagine the number will be higher after users receive Apple’s email, letting them know that there is more than one option to update their devices without taking away as much from their phone storage.

Source: MacRumors, MixPanel

Twitter: @AkshayMasand
    2014-11-06 07:52 PM
    Perhaps lots of 4S users are not upgrading to Apples latest and greatest as they have seen friends update their phones and seen how poor they perform and how much they regret every upgrading
    2014-11-06 08:23 PM
    Yup my sons and wife's 4s's are staying on 7.1.2!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014-11-06 08:32 PM
    Perhaps lots of 4S users are not upgrading to Apples latest and greatest as they have seen friends update their phones and seen how poor they perform and how much they regret every upgrading
    4s I understand, 5 is a much better phone and should have been the lowest for 8
    2014-11-06 09:43 PM
    4s I understand, 5 is a much better phone and should have been the lowest for 8
    My ip5 seems ok with iOS 8. Tried the JB before, way too buggy, may try again.
    2014-11-07 01:02 AM
    Or, perhaps people realize that iOS 7/8 is total bull crap, and decided not to update because it sucks. I for one, am still on iOS 6.
    2014-11-07 01:10 AM
    This is my feeling as well. Since the release of the 3GS Apple has always extended the software update back one model too far. It is a safe bet that with every major update that the lowest model on the list will not run smoothly and there is no path back outside that very small window that Apple still signs the previous software after a new major release. The 4S doesn't run as badly with iOS8 as the iPhone 4 did with iOS7, but it still runs badly enough that I wouldn't want it on a device I had to use daily.
    2014-11-07 01:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD