It has been reported by BusinessKorea that Apple will be replacing its triple-level cell (TLC) NAND flash to multi-level cell (MLC) flash on their iPhone 6 and 6 Plus devices. Apparently many iPhone 6 Plus and some iPhone 6 users with large application libraries reported crashing and boot loop issues weeks ago. The most affected model seems to be the largest 128GB iPhone 6 Plus. Other users of the 64GB iPhone 6 model have also reported the same problems.

The triple-level cell NAND flash memory was built by a company Apple acquired back in 2011 called Anobit. Anobit is supposedly to blame for the manufacturing defects. Although TLC NAND flash is supposed to hold more data, it is actually slower than other NAND flash technologies. Because of the reported problems, the Cupertino-based company is said to switch over to multi-level cell NAND flash on 64GB and 128GB iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models, respectively. According to BusinessKorea:

TLC NAND flash is a type of solid-state NAND flash memory that stores three bits of data per cell. It can store three times as much data as single-level cell (SLC) that stores one bit of data, and 1.5 times as much as multi-level cell (MLC) solid-state flash memory that stores two bits of data. On top of that, TLC flash is more affordable. However, it is also slower than SLC or MLC in reading and writing data.
    The report also noted that Apple will be releasing iOS 8.1.1 to address the crashing and boot loop issues. iOS 8.1.1 beta was already released to developers this week, so hang tight. We will keep you up to date when more information gets released. In the meantime, try making a trip to the Apple Retail stores to get your device checked out if you are experiencing the same problem.

Source: BusinessKorea

Twitter: @AkshayMasand
    2014-11-07 08:40 PM
    Wow! Guess this was really a big issue. Well, Apple is answering with a fix good stuff.
    2014-11-07 09:02 PM
    What about excisting phones? Do i need to replace mine now or will there be a action which comes from Apple itself?
    2014-11-07 09:18 PM
    8.1.1 will fix all problems but if your jail broken then you have to chose between upgrading or losing JB.
    2014-11-07 09:56 PM
    8.1.1 will fix all problems but if your jail broken then you have to chose between upgrading or losing JB.
    Hahahaha... Which to choose?

I have no issues with my 128 6+. I also am only using about 25 gigs so far... Maybe I'll fill it to the brim with music and videos and find out...
    Last edited by Sage I; 2014-11-07 at 10:26 PM.
    2014-11-07 10:22 PM
    Hope the software fix works rather than having to go with the slower NAND.
    2014-11-07 10:33 PM
    I just ordered my iPhone 6 plus from AT&T last week. It's not due to ship until the 2nd week of December. I wonder if I'll get the new MLC version by then?
    2014-11-07 10:41 PM
    Ah well, I have no problems now and everything is running smoothly on my 6+128gb, but it could be a problem in the future if I read it right?
    2014-11-07 10:43 PM
    Which memory does ipad air2 have ? Same as iphone6 ?
    2014-11-07 10:47 PM
    The problem NAND is the slower NAND.
    2014-11-07 11:23 PM
    The TLC is slower than MLC, TLC stores more data and it's cheaper, so the newly made iPhone will technically be quicker...
    2014-11-08 01:50 AM
    The defective type, TLC, is the slower type. The replacement NAND is faster.
    2014-11-08 01:53 AM
    The defective type, TLC, is the slower type. The replacement NAND is faster.
    TLC and MLC are both NAND technology. MLC has less storage capacity but is faster than TLC.
    2014-11-08 03:12 AM
    Sucks I love the JB and I have a 128gb Iphone, seems like I may try to live with 8.1 till the Jb is ready for 8.1.1. Only used 11 gb so far 😇
    2014-11-08 06:39 AM
    So much for Apple always using only good quality hardware.

TLC has half the lifespan of MLC, and it's slower which is why it's cheaper. This is irrefutable proof that Apple cut corners to put extra bucks in their pockets.

Steve Jobs must be rolling over in his grave.

IMO, Tim Cook should lose his job over this.
    Last edited by LeslieBee; 2014-11-09 at 03:06 AM.
    2014-11-09 02:40 AM
    So much for Apple always using only good quality hardware.

TLC has half the lifespan of MLC, and it's slower which is why it's cheaper. This is irrefutable proof that Apple cut corners to put extra bucks in their pockets.

Steve Jobs must be rolling over in his grave.

IMO, Tim Cook should lose his job over this.
    He's responsible for record profits and yet you think he should be fired for this? Not a shareholder, are you? Thank god you're not in charge of these things.
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
    2014-11-09 09:26 AM
    He's responsible for record profits and yet you think he should be fired for this? Not a shareholder, are you? Thank god you're not in charge of these things.
    Oh, how silly of me. You're right. Profit is all that matters. Screw the people for every dime you can. Screw the environment. Screw the whole country if that's what it takes. It's the American way, right?

Scrooge was a capitalist hero. Marley was lucky to have any job at all. Are there no prisons? If the poor would rather die, let them do so, and decrease the surplus population. Profits! Profits!! Profits!!!

Apparently Tim Cook really does know all about screwing his fellow man. Hahahahaha
    2014-11-09 05:13 PM
    Oh, how silly of me. You're right. Profit is all that matters
    Realize that the people who decide the CEO (board of directors) are only there for the profits. The only time people with more disposable income than the GDP of small countries care about the consumer is when they're afraid it'll hurt the profits. I'm not saying this is how it should be, just how it is. This is every company with the exception of a very few.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2014-11-09 05:50 PM
    Realize that the people who decide the CEO (board of directors) are only there for the profits.
    The reason countless Apple fans line up to buy the latest Apple products is because the believe Apple is different. Show them Apple isn't different, and watch as those fans turn into haters. Only this time around Steve Jobs won't be there to jump in and save the day.

I suppose Mr. Cook could always tell them to eat cake.
    Last edited by LeslieBee; 2014-11-09 at 10:03 PM.
    2014-11-09 09:56 PM
    I buy apple products because I like them better. I can't speak for others of course, but I simply prefer apple. What I think is a more realistic solution is to give a $100 iTunes credit to those affected. Maybe take it out of Cook's year end bonus. Realistic? Maybe not, but it'd sure look good.

Edit: typo

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2014-11-09 10:03 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD