In 2015, Apple is expected to unveil a variety of all-new products. Among them, is the rumored 12-inch MacBook Air, which will make your current MacBook Air feel like a MacBook Pro (and not the nice slim retina display one!).

9to5Mac has gotten their hands on some artist renditions of what the 2015 12-inch MacBook Air could look like, shown above. The artist renditions, which are reportedly created based on inside information from those that are known to be testing Apple's upcoming MacBook Air, show a much smaller and much thinner notebook computer.

Among some of the most important details are the edge-to-edge narrower keyboard, the almost halved thickness at the thickest part of the machine, and the lack of ports to make the thinness possible. As shown, the new 12-inch MacBook Air could be using just a single USB Type-C port on the right side of the machine, rather than the standard USB Type-A port as we're used to on previous models. The left side of the machine would contain only a 3.5mm headphone jack, and a microphone.

This makes this upcoming MacBook Pro not only the thinnest machine to date, but also the most proprietary, lacking many ports that users would use on a daily basis and forcing the user to go with some kind of USB Type-C connector instead of a more universal USB Type-A connector. Since the USB Type-C connector can be used to charge the device, this means no more MagSafe connector, and also means the user wouldn't be able to use USB devices while charging without some kind of adapter with a multi-port hub.

Overall, it looks like the re-birth of the netbook, only with Apple's Mac OS X operating system on it, and with less bells and whistles than any MacBook ever created. It doesn't look like anything that a power user would ever want to touch, but for those that just need a simple school computer, it could be feasible, and perhaps cheaper than some of Apple's other offerings.

As for me, I'll stick with my MacBook Pro, which has more than enough device ports on it.

Sources: 9to5Mac
    2015-01-06 09:59 PM
    Rumors & renditions! Who cares????
    2015-01-06 10:56 PM
    Why ditch standard usb? Why on earth would anyone buy a computer without usb?

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2015-01-07 12:43 AM
    Why ditch standard usb? Why on earth would anyone buy a computer without usb?
    I wouldn't, but I can see why they did. There is no way for them to complete this thin design with such a large port.

I am sure someone will step up and make some kind of dongle or hub that will convert USB Type-C into multiple USB Type-A ports.
    2015-01-07 12:53 AM
    It's a concept!!! Nothing about it is real or accurate. Why worry about what some random person dreamt up?
    2015-01-07 03:28 AM
    It's a concept!!! Nothing about it is real or accurate. Why worry about what some random person dreamt up?
    Supposedly, these concepts are supposed to have come from people that have been testing hands-on with the device. We shall see in the future, though.
    2015-01-07 04:20 AM
    There just needs to be an update to the USB I/O standard isn't there one already? The current plug has had a very long tenure. Time to move on.

With everything going wireless these days there's really much less call for wired connectivity outside of speedy mass data movement.
    2015-01-07 03:02 PM
    Don't know about anyone else but I'm about ready for a 15" Air.
    2015-01-09 12:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD