Feeling a little nervous or depressed in the absence of your iPhone? If so, you're not alone. According to a new study from researchers at the University of Missouri, iPhone separation is linked to "physiological anxiety."

It may sound like a joke but it's not. The UM study finds that cell phone separation can have serious psychological and physiological effects on iPhone users, "including poor performance on cognitive tests."

The results are so compelling that researchers strongly encourage iPhone users to not part with their phones at any point in the day where they may be in situations that involve a "great deal of attention, such as taking tests, sitting in conferences or meetings, or completing important work assignments." The data indicates that being away from one's iPhone could result in poorer cognitive performance in a wide variety of tasks.

“Our findings suggest that iPhone separation can negatively impact performance on mental tasks,” says Russell Clayton, lead author of the study. “Additionally, the results from our study suggest that iPhones are capable of becoming an extension of our selves such that when separated, we experience a lessening of ‘self’ and a negative physiological state.”

A full copy of the study is available online and can be accessed here.

Source: University of Missouri
    2015-01-09 12:07 AM
    That's really interesting actually.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2015-01-09 12:14 AM
    I think that's with any phone in general....... I don't think being an iPhone has anything to do with it. I love my iPhone 6 and panic if I don't have it with me but the same happens to my sister when she doesn't have her HTC so I think it goes for any " Smartphone "
    2015-01-09 12:25 AM
    It's not related to any particular device, it's actually "entirely" related to your friends/family/significant other, etc. If you had a 2001 phone with half an inch screen but able to receive calls that anxiety goes away. The anxiety arises from being unable to communicate to your friends/family, etc. If you had no friends or family and were the winner of the 100 million dollars lottery and had no need to receive a call from a potential employer you couldn't care less if you left the phone at home or if you had no phone at all (granted you didn't have the concern of being kidnapped lol).
    2015-01-09 02:37 AM
    this is only for the younger "me me me" generation. I could careless if I forgot my phone at home for the day, actually it feels good to not have that ball'n chain distraction from life
    2015-01-09 05:47 AM
    Weird. My poor cognitive performance begins when i pick up* my iPhone.

Now that I think about it, this probably has a lot to do with how old you are. I didn't have my own phone until I was 18, so I learned how to think and function without it.

Haha, just last week my grandparents asked me how i ever delivered food without a smartphone all those years. "Uh, I used maps, Grandpop. Like in a book."

Strange even my grandparents have been reliant on computers for far too long!
    Last edited by Jahooba; 2015-01-09 at 06:04 AM.
    2015-01-09 05:50 AM
    Weird. My poor cognitive performance begins when i pick up* my iPhone.

Now that I think about it, this probably has a lot to do with how old you are. I didn't have my own phone until I was 18, so I learned how to think and function without it.

Haha, just last week my grandparents asked me how i ever delivered food without a smartphone all those years. "Uh, I used maps, Grandpop. Like in a book."

Strange even my grandparents have been reliant on computers for far too long!
    It's honestly kinda sad. I work in a restaurant and more often I see the parents on their phones constantly and the kids talking and playing than the other way around. I see plenty enough of the other, but I can't believe how many parents do the same.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2015-01-09 06:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD