According to information shared with the media courtesy of classified docs released by famed whistleblower Edward Snowden, the CIA has a lengthy record of interest in and concern with iOS.

The "top-secret documents" obtained by The Intercept reveal that CIA-sponsored meetings that date back to more than a year before the first iPhone was released have been held annually as a means to explore strategies for "exploiting security flaws in household and commercial electronics."

Not surprisingly, iOS soon became a target (purportedly, at least) of the CIA researchers' work.

"By targeting essential security keys used to encrypt data stored on Apple’s devices, the researchers have sought to thwart the company’s attempts to provide mobile security to hundreds of millions of Apple customers across the globe," the report explains.

Although iOS was not the lone target of the group, it has certainly become a major focus. While unsavory in thought, in practice, overcoming the security mechanisms of iOS would ostensibly be for everything from counter-terrorism efforts to other high-level spying. Nonetheless, the thought of CIA researchers tinkering with a mobile operating systems that millions of people depend on for security and privacy is likely going to be unsettling news for many.

Neither the CIA nor Apple have commented on the story and it's important to stress that no government officials have confirmed the veracity of this story as far as we can tell. But if the docs are legit and accurate, we may be hearing more about this story down the road.

Source: The Intercept
    2015-03-10 07:03 PM
    This is essentially the same process of finding a jailbreak.
    2015-03-10 07:08 PM
    Really? Sorry, not even close.
    2015-03-10 07:12 PM
    I agree, but for those who don't know, do you think you could explain why?

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2015-03-10 07:26 PM
    Why post a picture of this traitor if there are any security issues in IOS he would gladly tell the world .Edward Snowden should be imprisoned for life for what he did to the country very very sad.
    2015-03-10 07:49 PM
    Why post a picture of this traitor if there are any security issues in IOS he would gladly tell the world .Edward Snowden should be imprisoned for life for what he did to the country very very sad.
    Lol? He's a hero
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2015-03-10 at 08:06 PM.
    2015-03-10 08:01 PM
    Need more Snowden's to come forward! The reason it is not the same as finding a jailbreak is very simple..A Jailbreak exploits an OS, what the CIA is doing is trying to exploit a human being that happens to have an iOS device.
    2015-03-10 08:09 PM

Jail breaking a phone is far different. You plug your phone into a computer device (Windows, Mac etc) and inject code that opens a gateway for your device being "hacked". Trying to inject code and hack it wirrlessly is nearly impossible. It didn't used to be on iOS 3-5, but they removed those PDF loopholes in iOS 6.
    2015-03-10 08:20 PM
    Lol? He's a hero
    New Report Reveals CIA's Interest in and Concern with iOS
    2015-03-10 09:12 PM
    I mean they follow a similar process as jailbreakers do to find holes in the code that can be exploited. The attack vectors are different but the idea that a group of people is meeting to try to determine ways of gaining access to IOS is not that different than the process of jailbreaking. If it can be hacked for good, it can be hacked for other purposes as well.
    2015-03-10 09:35 PM
    So hes a traitor for coming forward on a sensitive subject that no one else had the balls to go on and say that the people he was working were wrong and that he felt wrong about it too, you sound like member of the bush family Lol
    2015-03-11 07:01 AM
    I thought what he did was a good thing? A traitor wouldn't blow the whistle on injustices and wrongs done, I don't watch or read news so I don't know too much about all of this but it seems like he's a good guy who is risking his life and giving up his freedoms for the good of the common people... There's been so many politicians and businessmen that lie to us, cheat and steal from us and when caught or exposed don't get imprisoned or shamed as a traitor, but exonerated in the history books as being good businessmen, good politicians and heroes... More people need to step up and spill the beans on wrongs and injustices being done by the powers that be against we the people...
    2015-03-11 07:25 PM
    I'm by no means an expert, but I have done some reading on Snowden, and the reason for his being labeled a traitor is not the info he leaked on government surveillance on Americans, but the way it spys on other nations. If I understand correctly, that's equivalent to exposing spies in other nations, a big no no. The problem is that because the internet is international, any spying program affects everyone, thus the revealing of any governmental spying could relate to other nations. It seems that the general consensus is that if he had disclosed the information in a different manner, he would not be labeled as a traitor. That's not to say they wouldn't find some bs way to condemn him, but that would get him out of the situation he's currently in.

Note: I'm not a lawyer and this neither approves nor condemns any of his actions, just stating the matter as I've heard and seen from various sources.
    Last edited by SpiderManAPV; 2015-03-11 at 07:33 PM.

......beware......
    2015-03-11 07:28 PM
    The CIA is prolly one of the most funded and unchecked Federal agencies in the U.S. CIA operatives and programs have been overthrowing and assassinating politicians in other countries since the agencies inception... If "we" don't like a countries leader and that leader won't open their doors to our capitalist economy "we" just break down their doors, assassinate the leaders and help to hold special elections to elect a leader more sympathetic to "our" wants and needs for their resources or strategic military location... "We" throw around the word terrorist towards other countries and peoples all the time, yet one of the worst terrorist organizations in modern history is the CIA and their strong arms are the U.S. Military branches... Because of the agencies super top secret and sensitive information they will never be transparent in any way, there is no checks and balances on those cats... The CIA will do whatever it wants whenever it wants regardless of rights and laws, until more Snowdens blow the whistle on their gross abuse of power.
    Last edited by Sage I; 2015-03-11 at 08:06 PM.
    2015-03-11 07:49 PM
    I'm by no means an expert, but I have done some reading on Snowden, and the reason for his being labeled a traitor is not the info he leaked on government surveillance on Americans, but the way it spys on other nations. If I understand correctly, that's equivalent to exposing spies in other nations, a big no no. The problem is that because the internet is international, any spying program affects everyone, thus the revealing of any governmental spying could relate to other nations. It seems that the general consensus is that if he had disclosed the information in a different manner, he would not be labeled as a traitor. That's not to say they wouldn't find some bs way to condemn him, but that would get him out of the situation he's currently in.

Note: I'm not a lawyer and this neither approves nor condemns any of his actions, just stating the matter as I've heard and seen from various sources.
    Thanks brotha for that insight... If he would of disclosed information in a different matter not deemed traitorous, would that info had even made it to the surface? Or would the info he revealed just have been swept under the rug and silenced?
    2015-03-11 07:53 PM
    Thanks brotha for that insight... If he would of disclosed information in a different matter not deemed traitorous, would that info had even made it to the surface? Or would the info he revealed just have been swept under the rug and silenced?
    That's debatable. I read an article asking that that same question. If I remember correctly, other analysts had previously found similar things as Snowden (though not as detailed or as much) and released it in the manner recommended. They are free as birds, but if you were to ask around, it wasn't nearly as pubic as Snowden's leaks were. So while technically they were pubic, it was completely out of public sight.

Just as a note, the first step they suggest before making things public is to consult with an NSA supervisor. I'll let you guys decide for yourself how effective that would be.

......beware......
    2015-03-11 08:25 PM
    Why would you call him a traitor, you idiot. He is a patriot, and a hero to many. Would you prefer to allow your own government to spy on everything you do 24 hours a day, without cause or a warrant? Want them in your home, snooping and charging you because your actions fit a pattern of FUTURE possible criminal activity, although only coincidence?
    2015-03-12 01:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD