Sony for the second time this year has announced plans to expand its capacity to produce CMOS camera sensor ships. In this case, the deal particularly has to do with component orders for products like Apple’s iPhone. According to Bloomberg, the company is looking to spend roughly 45 billion yen ($376 million) on growing Japanese facilities in Nagasaki and Yamagata. Just this past February, Sony also mentioned that it intends to invest roughly $872.6 million in increasing CMOS production.

The Japanese tech giant is believed to be mainly responsible for the camera sensors found in the iPhone, which is continuing to see an increasingly large number of sales. Just this past quarter, Apple ended up selling 74.5 million iPhones which is an increase of 46% year over year. The surge has been attributed towards several factors but most commonly pent-up demand for iPhones with larger screens that are comparable to rival products.

For those of you who didn’t know, the main camera on the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus uses an 8-megapixel sensor that houses an unusually large number of pixels, measuring 1.5 microns. The camera also adds “Focus Pixel” technology which helps to speed up autofocus. This is paired with an f/2.2 lens and on the 6 Plus, an optical image stabilizer.

We’ll have to see how this effects Apple’s sales and production time but chances are it will help improve availability and help keep up with demand.

Source: Bloomberg

Twitter: @AkshayMasand
    2015-04-09 01:07 AM
    No matter what i will never spend my money on sony products and thats for suing or banning neohotz **** sony
    2015-04-09 03:42 AM
    No matter what i will never spend my money on sony products and thats for suing or banning neohotz **** sony
    Somebody is in love with a dude.. You won't be needed or missed by Sony
    2015-04-09 03:42 PM
    Then it's too bad that the sensor you take your beloved Instagram photos with is made by Sony.
    2015-04-09 04:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD