Every two weeks, Apple updates us with refreshed numbers on what percentage of its mobile devices are running the latest firmware. Apple's App Store Distribution Web page was updated Tuesday with new statistics that were measured via the App Store on Monday.

The latest numbers reveal that since two weeks ago, another 1% of iOS device users have been added to the iOS 8 slice on the pie chart at the expense of the iOS 7 slice, which now sits at 19%, down from the previously-reported 20%.

The latest statistics read that 79% of Apple's mobile devices are now running iOS 8, while 19% are still on iOS 7 and 2% are running iOS 6 or earlier.

Apple has been releasing a lot of iOS updates as of late, possibly to thwart any jailbreak attempts, but more so to improve its operating system's stability and improve on its features.

iOS 8.2 was released just last month with initial Apple Watch support and iOS 8.3 shortly followed with a huge list of bug fixes and improvements. Notably, iOS 8.4 is now currently in its beta stages with a redesigned Music application that is expected to house Apple's new music-streaming service.

Sources: Apple
    2015-04-14 09:45 PM
    I really don't know why these stats keep getting posted on this site. The claim that it's the "install base" is misleading as hell as it completely ignored the fact that a huge portion of those devices has no choice. Either they came with iOS 8 out of the box or are prevented from downgrading due to old versions not being signed and Apple's unfair strangle hold on the OS install process.
    2015-04-14 11:50 PM
    I really don't know why these stats keep getting posted on this site. The claim that it's the "install base" is misleading as hell as it completely ignored the fact that a huge portion of those devices has no choice. Either they came with iOS 8 out of the box or are prevented from downgrading due to old versions not being signed and Apple's unfair strangle hold on the OS install process.
    Apart from iPhone 6 series that come with iOS 8, the user has "full control" on whether to update the iOS or not. Since you are on this forum, I can assume you are or were jailbroken at one time. If that's the case you don't even get the update dialog since updates are disabled on jailbroken phones. So you do have the option to update the iOS or not. You would manually have to do using iTunes on your computer.

I am neglecting the fact the some tweak put the phone in unfixable boot loop and you had to update. Even in hat case, I'd blame Cydia tweak not Apple.

Even for not jailbroken phones, a user has full control on updating iOS. You get a pop up and you just say No or Later or whatever.
    2015-04-15 01:13 AM
    Apart from iPhone 6 series that come with iOS 8, the user has "full control" on whether to update the iOS or not.
    Most likely he was referring to situations were one must restore the phone (aka reinstall the OS) in order to correct some issues or so. In such a case one is at the mercy of what iOS versions iTunes will allow to issue forth to the device. So while the user can usually control whether or not to reinstall the OS, they don't have much, if any, say in what version to be installed.
    2015-04-15 01:29 AM
    Most likely he was referring to situations were one must restore the phone (aka reinstall the OS) in order to correct some issues or so. In such a case one is at the mercy of what iOS versions iTunes will allow to issue forth to the device. So while the user can usually control whether or not to reinstall the OS, they don't have much, if any, say in what version to be installed.
    And with every new firmware, apple takes more and more data away from the user.
    2015-04-15 02:35 AM
    And with every new firmware, apple takes more and more data away from the user.
    We want more features and in less disk space. Atleast iOS takes considerably less than any Android firmware (kitkat takes about 7gb including bloatware). Or Windows for that matter.
    2015-04-15 04:46 AM
    If this forum had an upvote Id be hitting the button now. Hard!
    2015-04-15 10:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD