Google is set to discontinue YouTube support on older iOS devices and Apple TVs after today. According to an official Google document, the move is being made as a consequence of the YouTube Data API being updated to support newer features. As of right now iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch users are safe as long as their device supports iOS 7 or later, with the oldest compatible device option being the iPhone 4. Devices that are capped at iOS 6 or earlier will have to visit m.youtube.com through Safari or another browser to access YouTube. Apple TV owners with a first- or second-gen model won’t be able to access YouTube at all starting today.

It should be noted that Apple devices aren’t the only ones being affected by the update. Google appears to be discontinuing native support for non-Apple platforms such as Google TV devices running version 2, a few game consoles and a number of Sony and Panasonic TVs and Blu-ray players. As a rule of thumb, products dated back to 2012 or earlier are being hit by the update.

The users that are seemingly affected the most are the people running a second-generation Apple TV. This device in particular continues to remain practical as it supports most of the same features as the third-gen model with the main difference being that the third-generation model touts support for 1080p whereas the second-gen does not. Users who try to access the YouTube app on affected devices end up hitting the YouTube video below informing them of the changes:

Have you been affected? If so, how do you feel about Google’s recent move? Share your thoughts and comments below!

Source: Google (

Twitter: @AkshayMasand
    2015-04-21 05:46 PM
    My blu-ray player said it would be discontinuing support, but then got a new app called "The New Youtube App."

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!
    2015-04-21 07:21 PM
    Bottom line....people, you have to buy new devices.
    2015-04-21 07:25 PM
    Just AirPlay YouTube from your phone problem solved.
    2015-04-21 08:30 PM
    Bottom line is that I will not be watching YouTube from certain devices. I am not going to purchase new equipment just to watch YouTube.
    2015-04-21 08:57 PM
    There's so many YouTube apps from third party debs anyway just use protube it's awesome.
    2015-04-21 09:01 PM
    Bottom line is that I will not be watching YouTube from certain devices. I am not going to purchase new equipment just to watch YouTube.
    Good for you
    2015-04-21 09:10 PM
    No one has to do anything. ProTube still works and given that it's a wrapper around the the mobile YouTube website, it should continue to work.

Frankly this whole move by Google is remarkably asinine. Why suddenly prevent things from just working? If they want to implement something new, there is no reason why they can't do that without preventing the current system from still working.
    2015-04-22 12:31 AM
    Jerks.
    2015-04-23 03:41 AM
    Ah, so you don't need to be on iOS 7 or above, just capable of running them. Seems totally fair.
    2015-04-23 08:27 PM
    What a shame, it was the older devices that helped make YouTube what it is today. Now YouTube is getting out of control. As with every company mining for data on users.
    2015-04-23 11:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD