Apple's FaceTime has a new competitor on the block. Facebook has just announced on Monday that the social network is rolling out free video calling to its Facebook Messenger application for iOS and Android.

While the application has supported voice-calling for ages, this is the first time that video calling will be a part of the Facebook Messenger platform. The newly-added function is accessed by tapping on the video-calling icon at the top right of the Facebook Messenger application, as shown below:

Facebook's promo video for video calling via Facebook Messenger can be found below:

Facebook Messenger will support video calls in the following countries starting today; more will be added in the future:

• Belgium
    • Canada
    • Croatia
    • Denmark
    • France
    • Greece
    • Ireland
    • Laos
    • Lithuania
    • Mexico
    • Nigeria
    • Norway
    • Oman
    • Poland
    • Portugal
    • United Kingdom
    • United States
    • Uruguay

To ensure you're able to take advantage of the new video calling features, you will want to download the latest version of Facebook Messenger from the App Store. You can download the latest version directly from the App Store at this link.

Sources: Facebook
    2015-04-27 09:03 PM
    Now if they had group calling, that would be something.

While I'm at it, video mail\message would be a nice add on.

I don't know how many times I've missed a FaceTime call and wish they could have left a video message.
    2015-04-27 11:18 PM
    That's one more video calling option in my phone. Now i don't understand why there's this mention of "free". Would anyone use it if it was not ?
    2015-04-28 09:32 AM
    No big deal same as Skype or any other app. I know FaceTime quality is far superior. Plus I don't want friends that don't have apple products kidding
    2015-04-28 01:54 PM
    That's one more video calling option in my phone. Now i don't understand why there's this mention of "free". Would anyone use it if it was not ?
    If I didn't mention it was free, you bet someone would be asking if it was free or not. You simply have to include as much information as possible.
    2015-04-28 05:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD