User Tag List

It's not every day that your iPhone falls from an airplane, but when small airplane pilot Ben Wilson had his iPhone drop from 9,300 feet in the air from his airplane, he was almost 100% sure that he had lost his expensive handset for good.

Wilson was flying from Houston, Texas back home to Wichita Falls, Texas in his Beechcraft Bonanza single-engine plane when it occurred, as NBC News reports. Despite the doubt that he would ever find his iPhone again, Wilson found his iPhone in a pasture thanks to iPhone tracking software; presumably Find My iPhone. Regardless of the super high drop from the sky, the case that the user put on the iPhone seems to have protected it from a certain demise.

Above, Wilson holds his iPhone 5s in working condition after surviving the fall from an airplane. The screen is completely unscathed, although the corners of the iPhone did suffer some scratching. Nevertheless, the iPhone is fully functional.

Wilson drove out to the site where his iPhone supposedly fell, which was nearly 90 miles away from his home, and was met by a fence that he needed to jump to look around for his lost iPhone. Throughout his curious journey on someone else's ranch, he made a donkey friend, which accompanied him the entire time he was searching for his iPhone on the property.

"I climbed the fence and this donkey trotted up to me and looked me right in the eyes," Wilson said. "He would not leave our sides. I think he was trying to help us find the phone."

This isn't the first time that an Apple device has survived a fall from an airplane. In February, a MacBook Air reportedly survived a 1,000 foot drop from an airplane and survived to tell the tale.

In the mean time, it looks like another happy ending for an airplane-dropped iPhone.

Source: NBC News
    2015-08-01 05:28 PM
    Not only did he trespass but he documented and shared proof of this online... And it looks like he wrote on the screen with a sharpie in the other picture?
    2015-08-01 06:07 PM
    Not only did he trespass but he documented and shared proof of this online... And it looks like he wrote on the screen with a sharpie in the other picture?
    If you look at the words written 'on the screen' you'll see that they are underneath the time and date on the iPhone. So I'm gonna say he didn't write on the screen.
    2015-08-01 06:22 PM
    You need eye glasses
    2015-08-01 06:48 PM
    He wrote that on a piece of paper, took a picture and made that his wallpaper.
    2015-08-01 06:58 PM
    What's the terminal velocity of an iPhone anyway?
    After a certain point, it doesn't really matter how high you drop it from...
    Last edited by bmwraw8482; 2015-08-01 at 11:08 PM.
    2015-08-01 11:06 PM
    This story smells like BS to me. I dropped my phone from my lap getting out of the car and it shattered. We all have similar stories. Not only he dropped it from a plane and absolutely nothing happened but he "went back" and found it? Find my iPhone only works on wifi. Again this story is BS just like the MacBook Air that survived.
    2015-08-02 03:12 AM
    This story smells like BS to me. I dropped my phone from my lap getting out of the car and it shattered. We all have similar stories. Not only he dropped it from a plane and absolutely nothing happened but he "went back" and found it? Find my iPhone only works on wifi. Again this story is BS just like the MacBook Air that survived.
    You are wrong about find my iPhone.

I left my iPhone 4 In a customers car and located it online. Called the customer and he brought it back to me at the end of his work day.

Explain that to me how it only works on wifi.
    2015-08-02 04:46 AM
    You are wrong about find my iPhone.

I left my iPhone 4 In a customers car and located it online. Called the customer and he brought it back to me at the end of his work day.

Explain that to me how it only works on wifi.
    This is from Apple:
    Find the approximate location of your iOS devices and Mac computers. You can locate your device if:

Find My iPhone is set up on the device you want to locate.

The iOS device or Mac is online—awake and in range of a Wi-Fi network.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH2698?locale=en_US
    2015-08-02 04:53 AM
    This is from Apple:
    Find the approximate location of your iOS devices and Mac computers. You can locate your device if:

You don't need a Wi-Fi network to find an iPhone that has a cellular connection. This is only necessary if the device is an iPod touch, Wi-Fi-only iPad, or Mac. I've used it myself.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2015-08-02 at 05:26 AM.
    2015-08-02 05:24 AM
    What's the terminal velocity of an iPhone anyway?
    After a certain point, it doesn't really matter how high you drop it from...
    This, surprised nobody else has picked it up.
    2015-08-02 11:02 AM
    This is from Apple:

I use find my iPhone and find friends DAILY. You do not need wifi. How many of you also think gps uses wifi? Haha smh
    2015-08-02 01:12 PM
    Wonder if he filed a 'dropped object' report with the FAA....
    2015-08-02 02:06 PM
    Terminal velocity of an object (human, phone, bowling ball, etc.) varies by how streamlined the fall is. But it's usually between 120mph and 300mph. I can pretty much guarantee this phone landed in a soft thick patch of grass or something else that greatly cushioned the fall. Had it landed on anything solid at those speeds it would have completely destroyed the phone for sure. Clearly they left out some facts in this article.
    2015-08-02 04:52 PM
    I dont believe this crappy story!
    2015-08-03 05:32 AM
    This, surprised nobody else has picked it up.
    Given that the terminal velocity of a sphere with a radius of 3cm is about 75 mph, I can't imagine the iPhone having reached anywhere near 65 (since it is flat). Because there are no moving parts, and it fell on a nice green pasture, I'm not surprised it didn't even break its screen. I've seen plenty other examples where the screen shattered but the iPhone was still functional.
    2015-08-03 05:29 PM
    So did he make that lock screen photo before he dropped it? Seems weird to have that... Especially if he can use find my iPhone
    2015-08-03 07:33 PM
    Well, if it fell on a bale of hay, or a pasture of nicely padded grass or field of marshmallows I suppose a glass ornament could survive the fall as well. But if the the phone fell on a granite outcrop, a paved road or a rooftop.... well... DEAD!
    2015-08-04 09:52 AM
    Holy smokes. Mine shattered after a 5 foot drop from my chest to the ground. Thank god for insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015-08-04 05:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD