User Tag List

U.S. mobile carrier Verizon Wireless announced recently that customers are able to bring in devices from other carriers, get them unlocked, and activated. Verizon started offering the program this week and said that it applies to Apple’s iPhone and Google’s Nexus 6 as well. The only thing that needs to be done for the device to work is to get it unlocked before being activated.

Head on over to Verizon’s website to see if your iPhone or Nexus 6 qualifies for the new program. Users have to first input the device ID (either the IMEI, MEID, or ESN), and then either an existing SIM ID number or a new Verizon SIM card on the next page, and finally if the device qualifies Verizon will show users what plans they are eligible for. This is definitely Verizon’s way of luring in more customers from other mobile carriers.

Customers are probably more likely to switch over to a new carrier if they don’t need to purchase another device. This ensures that in the future though, users will purchase Verizon branded devices. It is more appealing if you can get your phone or tablet unlocked when you switch over to a new carrier, many customers did that with T-Mobile. Would you consider switching carriers if you can now unlock your device and use Verizon? Share with us in the section below.

Source: Verizon

Twitter: @AkshayMasand
    2015-08-26 05:01 AM
    Waiting for 6s and then switching to T-Mobile and not pay monthly fee for it f u Verizon Users Switching to Verizon Can Now Activate Their Non-verizon iPhones on the Network
    2015-08-26 09:40 AM
    Waiting for 6s and then switching to T-Mobile and not pay monthly fee for it f u Verizon Users Switching to Verizon Can Now Activate Their Non-verizon iPhones on the Network
    T-mobile is only the better deal if you live in an area covered by them and don't travel to areas where they don't.

I had T-mobile and while it worked perfectly fine in town my home was just outside of their area, plus any time I left the city no coverage. So while my phone bill increased when I switched to Verizon my phone actually worked so fair trade I think.
    2015-08-26 03:13 PM
    I fail to see how this would work with an AT&T or T-Mobile (GSM) phone when Verizon uses CDMA.
    2015-08-26 04:10 PM
    T-mobile is only the better deal if you live in an area covered by them and don't travel to areas where they don't.

I had T-mobile and while it worked perfectly fine in town my home was just outside of their area, plus any time I left the city no coverage. So while my phone bill increased when I switched to Verizon my phone actually worked so fair trade I think.
    I see, few friends have it here in town and I want to try it out I know it works well in major cities if I don't like I'll just go back to Verizon lol
    2015-08-26 05:44 PM
    I brought my unlocked ATT Iphone 6 to Verizon with no issues.
    I fail to see how this would work with an AT&T or T-Mobile (GSM) phone when Verizon uses CDMA.
    2015-08-26 06:09 PM

But T-Mobile's coverage is rapidly becoming stronger than Verizon's, really, even out it middle of nowhere Southern Utah where my parents live, they get 4G LTE while those on Verizon are lucky to get any coverage.
    2015-08-26 07:28 PM
    Since Verizon introduced 4G LTE, they no longer use CDMA for their newer phones, although they still contain CDMA chips for connecting to older towers when not in an area that has already been upgraded.
    2015-08-26 07:29 PM
    But T-Mobile's coverage is rapidly becoming stronger than Verizon's, really, even out it middle of nowhere Southern Utah where my parents live, they get 4G LTE while those on Verizon are lucky to get any coverage.
    Guess us out in the middle of nowhere Midwesterners get it last xD
    2015-08-26 07:36 PM

umm yea no t mobile network will never catch up to Verizon you might get service but data is super dial up slowwww
    2015-08-26 08:09 PM
    A good reference for iPhones: All Differences Between iPhone 6 Models @ EveryiPhone.com

A good reference for LTE: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...C_band_plan.29

Essentially, every iphone supports at least one freq/band in common with all major U.S. carriers -- 2 for the big ones. If you wanted to 'future proof' your purchase (in terms of broadest carrier support) you would have bought an A1586. [side note: Sprint iPhone 6 buyers probably have the best investment in terms of resale value/options down the road as their phones could be sold to just about anyone in the world -- outside of China ]

But, it's a pretty safe bet (for Verizon) that any U.S. iPhone user can join their network and get service. Will there be exceptions depending on the area/circumstances? Yes. YMMV.
    2015-08-26 09:38 PM
    Verizon's LTE network is GSM. This is why AT&T has always let people use Verizon's iPhones on their network.
    2015-08-27 01:55 AM
    I'm kinda confused. I tho unlocked iPhone will work with any carriers. Am I wrong?
    2015-08-27 02:30 AM
    In most cases they will.
    2015-08-27 02:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD