Hey guys,

Just wanted to share with you the only in-car charger that was made especially for use with the iPhone. It's called The In-Charge Auto by XtremeMac. What's the big deal you ask? If you search numerous forums out there you will notice that a lot of people have had some really bad experiences with speaker docks and in-car chargers causing the logic board on their iPhone to burn out. Result -> DEAD/FRIED iPhone. I figure why take the risk and never got a dock/speaker system or in-car charger until at least today! I stumbled upon it on Apple's website. Here's the link:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nplm=TN787LL/A

The main OEM for this product is XtremeMac -> http://www.xtrememac.com/chargers/in...auto/index.php

As far as I know, it is the ONLY and FIRST In-car charger to actually have the "Made for iPhone" label and hell, even Apple displays it on their website!

Enjoy!
    1.1.2FW w/ 4.02.13_G Baseband. Rock Solid!
    2008-01-10 04:14 AM
    I picked up a car charger from the cingular store for my phone and was told it was I phone compatible. I suppose it would have to be because they obviously don't sell ipods.
    2008-01-10 04:24 AM
    I picked up a car charger from the cingular store for my phone and was told it was I phone compatible. I suppose it would have to be because they obviously don't sell ipods.
    I would be careful as most car-chargers (if you open it) actually has the output line directly coming from the 12V output....

Meaning - You are feeding 12V ti your iPhone which requires only 5V! That's why some people have reported their iPhones either acting really funny or dying completely after a few days or weeks of use.

I didn't believe it at first myself until I did more research. I guess when Apple said make sure it has the "Works for iPhone" label, they MEANT it!
    Quote from APPLE WEBSITE (Accessories section) -> Works with iPhone
    Look for the “Works with iPhone” logo to find electronic accessories designed to connect specifically to iPhone and certified by the developer to meet Apple performance standards."

As for speaker/docks systems - Just because your iPhone has iPod capabilities, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is an iPod and can use it's accessories! BIG problems with JBL systems.
    2008-01-10 04:33 AM
    I would be careful as most car-chargers (if you open it) actually has the output line directly coming from the 12V output....

Meaning - You are feeding 12V ti your iPhone which requires only 5V! That's why some people have reported their iPhones either acting really funny or dying completely after a few days or weeks of use.

I didn't believe it at first myself until I did more research. I guess when Apple said make sure it has the "Works for iPhone" label, they MEANT it!
    Look for the “Works with iPhone” logo to find electronic accessories designed to connect specifically to iPhone and certified by the developer to meet Apple performance standards."
    You don't know what you are talking about. Car chargers for the iPhone and iPod use the FireWire ports on the connector that can easily sink input voltage from 8-30VDC. The internal vreg in the iPhone from the FireWire port can handle that voltage with no problem. Yes, the phone may get warm, but it's not a problem.
    I run 3 car chargers for my iPods and the iPhone that are connected to the FireWire ports on the dock connector for the past 4 years, with the iPods, and never have had a problem.
    The actual problem may be with the charging circuit in some devices. I've seen some really bad designs on these.
    if the vreg/charging circuit is decent, there is no reason *not* to use the FireWire 12V based input for charging.
    2008-01-10 05:10 AM
    Well Ive been using my ipod car charger for my iPhone since day 1 (jun 29th) with no problems.
    2008-01-10 05:51 AM
    You don't know what you are talking about. Car chargers for the iPhone and iPod use the FireWire ports on the connector that can easily sink input voltage from 8-30VDC. The internal vreg in the iPhone from the FireWire port can handle that voltage with no problem. Yes, the phone may get warm, but it's not a problem.
    I run 3 car chargers for my iPods and the iPhone that are connected to the FireWire ports on the dock connector for the past 4 years, with the iPods, and never have had a problem.
    The actual problem may be with the charging circuit in some devices. I've seen some really bad designs on these.
    if the vreg/charging circuit is decent, there is no reason *not* to use the FireWire 12V based input for charging.

Good for you....may your iPods and iPhone catch fire while you drive...All I did was bring up a product and you slag me...nice...Sorry I'm not in the *know* like you when it comes to car charger technology, but yes the charging circuit is what I meant....If you google problems with chargers and iPhones you will see that some chargers out there do a direct feed from the 12V output WITHOUT reducing the voltage. That's the problem.

Well Ive been using my ipod car charger for my iPhone since day 1 (jun 29th) with no problems.
    Interesting...what brand of car charger are you using? I read that the belkin brand caused an issue with a few users. Not sure on the model as they never stated it.

Here's an example thread of what could happen with the wrong Car charger...

http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum...one-13684.html
    Last edited by Sony311; 2008-01-10 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-01-10 05:46 PM

As far as I know, it is the ONLY and FIRST In-car charger to actually have the "Made for iPhone" label and hell, even Apple displays it on their website!

Enjoy!
    Not the only one. I have had this charger for a few months now.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nplm=TN769LL/A
    2008-01-10 06:26 PM
    Not the only one. I have had this charger for a few months now.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...nplm=TN769LL/A
    Hey! Yeah...I noticed that AFTER I had submitted the thread title lol...oh well...I heard great things about that product too! Thanks for adding the link!
    2008-01-10 06:49 PM
    Good for you....may your iPods and iPhone catch fire while you drive...All I did was bring up a product and you slag me...nice...Sorry I'm not in the *know* like you when it comes to car charger technology, but yes the charging circuit is what I meant....If you google problems with chargers and iPhones you will see that some chargers out there do a direct feed from the 12V output WITHOUT reducing the voltage. That's the problem.
    No, it's not.
    yes, I *do* know circuitry, and the charging circuitry in side the iPhone will handle raw voltage up to 30V.

...and I have never had problems with my chargers or all the iPod based adapters I have sold over the past 4-5 years.
    2008-01-10 11:30 PM
    No, it's not.
    yes, I *do* know circuitry, and the charging circuitry in side the iPhone will handle raw voltage up to 30V.

...and I have never had problems with my chargers or all the iPod based adapters I have sold over the past 4-5 years.
    Aaarrgh! I give up...All I wanted to do was share a little product info. Not start a "who's d*&k is bigger" arguement.

I told you I don't know anything about the electronics involved as to why iPhones are getting fried by car chargers and sound docks - just that they are....

Why don't YOU (the self proclaimed God of Car charging, please give a simple summary as to why people are getting their iPhones fried because of in-car chargers and iPod sound docks)...Oh great god of Ego... :P
    2008-01-10 11:51 PM
    Why don't YOU (the self proclaimed God of Car charging, please give a simple summary as to why people are getting their iPhones fried because of in-car chargers and iPod sound docks)...Oh great god of Ego... :P
    if you read carefully my first reply, I did.
    2008-01-11 12:22 AM
    i've been using my alpine's HU's ipod cable for charging since day one and now for the past couple months, since the rebate actually, i've been using my FM transmittter for charging. I haven't had any issues.
    2008-01-11 12:29 AM
    i use my "ipod your bmw" thing for my iphone since iday, works perfectly
    2008-01-11 01:33 AM
    if you read carefully my first reply, I did.

You must be one of those people that likes to hear themselves....
    Yes, SOME chargers and dock systems are frying systems...Sorry but it's the sad truth....and Yes, I agree with you for the millionth time....so shut up now,,,

god, like I said I was only trying to introduce an accessory..Thank you Bill Nye...you freaking science guy....
    2008-01-11 06:19 AM
    Im just using some cheap-o charger from a gas station for like 5 bucks.
    2008-01-11 06:22 AM
    Dension car kits are also approved by Apple, been using mine since August '07 for my iPhone, and iPod 2 years before that, and only pushes out 5v
    2008-01-16 11:33 PM
    I have that charger (from the Apple store) and it works fine for me (and I like the looks of it too).. I also have a Cheeep one (got it free with a case I got) it worked but.... Personally I just trust a better made, higher end, one.. Does that mean it will work better FOR SURE. No, but I feel that at least the cards are stacked a bit more in MY favor...
    2008-01-17 03:33 AM
    Hey! Yeah...I noticed that AFTER I had submitted the thread title lol...oh well...I heard great things about that product too! Thanks for adding the link!

that link was the one i was referring to that i purchased months back yo.
    2008-01-18 05:04 PM

As for speaker/docks systems - Just because your iPhone has iPod capabilities, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is an iPod and can use it's accessories! BIG problems with JBL systems.
    The reason it works with iphone is obvious......The thing is no more tha a usb wire and a usb to lighter plug adapter. Since usb cables can only transfer a lower amperage, I suspect any usb/lighter adapter witht he std iphone cable should work as well. I would avoid the ipod lighter plugs with no adapter as they fried my first iphone battery
    2008-01-22 06:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD