User Tag List

This might have been discussed a bunch of times and if it was im sorry.

I have a 3G phone and a 2G dock.

Obviously we all know the 3G doesnt fit in it because it is fatter.

At work I dremeled away the plastic on the dock stoppin the 3G from docking.

It now fits in the dock, but it doesnt get connectivity.

Its one of 2 things

1) i messed up the connector in the dock while cutting the plastic

or

2) the pin-out is different between the 2

...is there anyone who knows for sure...that can comment

Thanks!
    Last edited by pingywon; 2008-09-05 at 04:19 AM.
    2008-09-05 02:48 AM
    hmmmm...i never used the dock...but i still use the first gen's usb cable to connect to my 3G..and that works fine. I dont want to tell you that you might messed up the pins...why dont you try to use just the usb cable and connect to your 3G see if that will work? Nevetheless, i think you can return it at Apple and get a new one for that reason...Just be sure it's in the factory settings. Good Luck.
    2008-09-05 02:52 AM
    my phone is fine......

the old and new sync cables work

im afraid i messed up the 2G dock while cutting the plastic away ....cant return that thing ..looks like a dog ate it
    2008-09-05 02:56 AM
    oh my bad....you were speaking about the dock.
    If it went bad, it went bad....no biggies right? just a dock.
    2008-09-05 03:02 AM
    yeah not a biggie ...but im pretty sure that i DID NOT cut the dock at all ..thats why i wanna know why it doesnt work with my 3G
    2008-09-05 04:18 AM
    bump ..help?
    2008-09-06 09:24 AM
    Seems to be the case for most iPhone (car) accessories as well. If I were to guess, I'd say that they jumbled around the pins to serve different purposes.
    2008-09-06 09:35 AM
    So then I am correct in assuming that the old dock will not work with the new phone...shame shame apple
    2008-09-08 07:06 PM
    Pingywon,

the 2G dock works just fine with the 3G phone. I'd recommend you use canned air or your face to blow the fine white plastic particles out of the dock, also check your phone in case some of the plastic bits got lodged in the port. I found dremelling out the dock to be quite messy, but with some canned air I was able to clean it out and it works just fine.
    2008-09-12 12:40 AM