has anyone used their iphone with the apple av component in order to watch movies from their iphone on their television yet? hows the quality of the movie? anybody have reviews for it?
    2007-10-01 04:41 AM
    i ordered it with the store credit we got, they did not ship it till after the update came out though. So i have not received it yet, and i have my phone modded, so i did not update. Not sure if it will work or not with out the update, have not received it yet, but will let you know once i get it.
    2007-10-01 04:56 AM
    Anyone played around with the pinout yet for the iPhone with the new update? My guess is that there's a few pins on there that have the RGB component output. It wouldn't take too long to figure out which ones they were.

I was thinking about doing it myself, but I'd need to get a cable that has every pin on it. In which case, where could someone find one of these?
    2007-10-01 06:01 PM
    Anyone played around with the pinout yet for the iPhone with the new update? My guess is that there's a few pins on there that have the RGB component output. It wouldn't take too long to figure out which ones they were.

I was thinking about doing it myself, but I'd need to get a cable that has every pin on it. In which case, where could someone find one of these?
    wouldn't the dock connector cable work? perhaps you have one spare from an old ipod?

are you thinking of making a homemade av-out cable? thatd b cool (and save money!)
    2007-10-01 06:12 PM
    Yes, my idea is to make a homebrew av-out cable.

An old cable would probably work, except I don't know if all the pins run out in the cable. (IE, are 20 plus wires running in the cable? ) I do have an old one that's kinda tattered that I could splice to check out.

If anything, I could solder all 20+ pins to wires and then test each one. If it works, that would make a great wiki-how or create page on cre.ations.net.
    2007-10-01 11:30 PM
    I just received my AV cable today. The quality is not that great simply because video files encoded for iphone are lower resolution. They are certainly watchable though. I'm going to see if I can increase the resolution with the next movies I encode. The cool thing is that you can watch youtube videos as well as videos played with Safari (you can use TVersity or Orb to play movies from your computer over Wifi). The only thing that sucks is that a lot of my friends don't have component inputs on their TVs so I won't get to show off as much as I would like.

Edit: You can also view slide shows of your photos.

Also, the cable only works when plugged directly into the phone. It didn't work when I tried to use the dock that came with the phone. I ordered the Universal Dock with remote last week so hopefully that will work.
    Last edited by OGrizzle; 2007-10-02 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-10-02 12:24 AM
    its diffrent than the 5th gen a/v cord audio works but no video.they changed th a/v pin ....need a pinout diagram /or diagram of a/v cable that works

does video play on the iphone as well as tv...or is it just one or the other
    Last edited by jedinight; 2007-10-02 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-10-02 12:32 AM
    its diffrent than the 5th gen a/v cord audio works but no video.they changed th a/v pin ....need a pinout diagram /or diagram of a/v cable that works

does video play on the iphone as well as tv...or is it just one or the other
    One or the other. When you start to play a video, it asks if you want to display on TV. If you display on TV, you still get the controls on the iphone just no video.
    2007-10-02 12:37 AM
    cool thanks exactly what i needed to know...now you want take yours apart and give us diagram of video pins ...lol just kidding...unless youll do it ..lllooolll
    2007-10-02 12:42 AM
    I think he said it was component which means it would be RGB video plus LR audio.

So that would make 5 pins used for video hmmm....
    2007-10-02 12:52 AM
    no he said "I just received my AV cable today" so thats audio/video!!!!!!wich is a ground and video since my audio already works>>>>>
    2007-10-02 12:58 AM
    I think he said it was component which means it would be RGB video plus LR audio.

So that would make 5 pins used for video hmmm....
    There's a dialogue that appears on the iphone asking if you want to turn the tv out on. So there might be something in addition to the 5 + ground pins that are on there. IE some kind of pin that would indicate the type of cable plugged in?

Or it just might make the decision based on which pins have a completed circuit.

I also read that there is a Composite cable out there, too. 1 additional pin for that would be on there.

I can't tinker with it tonight, but I'll be trying it out tomorrow night. I'll post if I find out anything. If anyone else finds something, be sure to post a link/findings.
    2007-10-02 01:11 AM
    yes there is a circuit board with a couple resitors, if your cable charges while its plugged in...but not important to mee .just need pin number for video
    2007-10-02 01:20 AM
    I'm quite curious as to the composite output and if it follows the same pinout on the dock connector as the "old" iPods. I have a car video cradle from DICE Electronics which has a pass-through dock connector, but pulls off the composite video / audio to a 1/8" jack (like the old iPod video cable), so that you can get video out and feed it to an LCD monitor in the car..... I'm very curious to see if this will feed through and work... assuming all will be well if the composite (not component) video is still on the same pin on the dock connector (pin 8 on the old connector).
    2007-10-02 02:15 AM
    no he said "I just received my AV cable today" so thats audio/video!!!!!!wich is a ground and video since my audio already works>>>>>
    Its component. I heard that composite cables won't work. Not sure though.
    2007-10-02 02:33 AM
    Interesting - just checked the Apple on-line store... seems the new Composite & Component cables (with dock connector) are available for the Touch, but only the Component cable is shown as available for the iPhone.... ????

Then again, on the component cable detail page the iPhone is not listed either - so perhaps its just sloppy maintenance of the product content pages.....
    2007-10-02 02:48 AM
    Interesting - just checked the Apple on-line store... seems the new Composite & Component cables (with dock connector) are available for the Touch, but only the Component cable is shown as available for the iPhone.... ????

Then again, on the component cable detail page the iPhone is not listed either - so perhaps its just sloppy maintenance of the product content pages.....
    yeah .same here give them a week they will have it sorted out...
    2007-10-02 02:56 AM
    The extra contacts (rings) on the 3.5mm round connector are used for the Mic, and the Answer button. They are thus unavailable for composite video out. AFAIK, they do not switch. The iPhone's hardware makes it impossible to output composite video on the 3.5mm round connector, even though some other iPods (That do not need mic's) can.

AFAIK, video is only available on the bottom (iPod) connector.

I have a 3rd party iPod dock that is supposed to support video, but given the other current issues, I cannot upgrade to 1.1.1 to test it.
    Mobile Linux? Got That.
    Pepper Pad 3, Nokia 770, GP2x, Motorola A780
    Visit Linuxslate.com New Forums just starting
    2007-10-02 03:06 AM
    Correct - video is only on the dock connector - the 3.5mm connector I was refering to is on the DICE Video Cradle (car cradle) - which has both a dock connector (to go to the iPod control / radio interface box) and the 3.5mm jack for the composite audio & audio output. Obviously this was intended for the "old" iPods, but I would hope that IF composite video is still on the iPhone / Touch, that is still in Pin 8.

Unfortunately, I don't yet have an iPhone and am trying to get some resolution to this open issue - one of the last items holding me back from purchase...
    2007-10-02 04:09 AM
    The cable would be a Video/Audio out cable to work with TV. It should be Yellow(video) Red(audio R) and White (audio L). If it's component then it would in fact be the RGB colors Red/Green/Blue and you would have to listen to audio coming out of iPhone or plug the line out from the headphone jack. If so it would require 2 cables for component connection which would suck a$$. Question is does this video plug into the 3.5mm jack or the dock jack on the bottom of phone. I would imagine it would be the 3.5mm jack so it could have audio/video. If it plugs into the bottom of the iphone it would require 5 RCA leads. Red/Green/Blue/White/Red. If it's the latter, then it would be a pretty bulky cable. I'm guessing it's the 3.5mm audio/video jack like the old ones for ipod videos just rearranged and the plug is made to fit the recessed hole on top for the headphones/tv-out jack. IMO
    2007-10-04 12:59 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD