My University has a unlocked wireless network around campus. Usually when signing into this network you need to go to a 3rd party program already installed onto your laptop, (Putty for Windows) and type in your ID and Password. This then allows you to access the internet. Is there any way to run a similar back ground program with the Itouch therefore allowing me internet access at school?

Thanks for any response in advance.
    2007-10-22 07:56 PM
    Isnt the equivalent of putty for windows terminal for mac? If it is, install terminal on your itouch.

(I have no idea what Im talking about )
    I've got two states of mind, stoned and asleep
    2007-10-22 08:22 PM
    You would use terminal, and use ssh to login. I'm not a Mac expert, so I don't know the needed layout for an ssh login. But just use "ssh" in terminal. You may need BSD subsystem or OpenSSH.
    2007-10-22 10:39 PM
    I have attempted this same thing. The normal use 3rd party program by the university is a VPN client installed on your laptop. I never thought of using SSH to terminally login. That, coupled with the built-in VPN client on the iPhone might work nicely.
    2007-10-22 11:23 PM
    So, let me get this straight, you use putty at Uni to connect to their network and get on the internet?
    Odd, but i guess it makes sense if they want it to be secure.

You should still be able to do that on the iTouch.
    I don't know what the settings would be, but as long as you have a jailbroken touch and have installed BSD Subsystem and vt-100 terminal using Installer.app, you should be able to just type 'ssh [email protected]<ipaddr>' user being your username and <ipaddr> being the location you normally put into putty. Beyond that, the settings you'll have to add yourself or do some research into the ssh command for. I'm just not sure how you'd run something like that in the background while using safari for instance. Anyone else have any ideas?
    2007-10-23 01:34 AM
    So, let me get this straight, you use putty at Uni to connect to their network and get on the internet?
    Odd, but i guess it makes sense if they want it to be secure.

You should still be able to do that on the iTouch.
    I don't know what the settings would be, but as long as you have a jailbroken touch and have installed BSD Subsystem and vt-100 terminal using Installer.app, you should be able to just type 'ssh [email protected]<ipaddr>' user being your username and <ipaddr> being the location you normally put into putty. Beyond that, the settings you'll have to add yourself or do some research into the ssh command for. I'm just not sure how you'd run something like that in the background while using safari for instance. Anyone else have any ideas?
    Perfect worked like a charm......

Until i hit the back button and just like u somewhat hinted at it closed terminals connection to the server and i was not able to get internet.

One step in the right direction, just need to keep terminal running now!
    Ideas?!
    2007-10-23 05:00 AM
    Sweet, its a start.
    If this terminal is anything like the *nix based ones, you should be able to append an ampersand (&) to the end, maybe that will allow it to run in the background as a separate process, but again, in the *nix distro's, i believe if you close that terminal it disappears too.
    I read somewhere about people starting processes when the iTouch starts up, but i don't know how they're going about it.
    If we could find the startup script location, you could probably add that to the list, or maybe make a script that can be loaded from the Springboard... Many possibilities, no answers.

I'd have a play with mine and figure it out, but its being repaired... hehe *sigh*

Let me know if you have any more luck.
    2007-10-23 12:02 PM
    It seems that the simple solution would be having the Term-vt100 app remain open in its current session in the background when returning to the home screen. I am facing this exact problem; I hope someone has a solution.
    2007-10-24 05:03 PM
    It seems that the simple solution would be having the Term-vt100 app remain open in its current session in the background when returning to the home screen. I am facing this exact problem; I hope someone has a solution.

Well lets just home a itouch pro comes along and helps us out, until then I actually have to pay attention in class!
    2007-10-25 02:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD