iTunes 8.2.1.6
    1st gen iPod Touch fw 1.1.1
    windows xp pro sp2

i have tried 4 different usb cables, and only one will charge the ipod. and its a bastard looking cable with one end having the ipod/iphone connector, the other end is a mini-USB???!!(like a moto razor phone). and the cable only works(plugs in) with a Fastcard car FM transmitter cigar lighter.

when plugged into the pc, it pops up the "device not recognized" window near the clock, but only if the ipod is "awake". meaning if its in sleep mode, and i plug it in, a window doesnt pop up until i hit the home button or the sleep button. ive tried DFU mode, Recovery mode, holding home button then plug it in, but nothing i do lets windows recognize it.

im using the same cables as i do for my 2G iphone, and have zero problems.

it also doesnt charge when plugged into an AC outlet. (only the car charger(bastard) cable will charge it.
    2009-08-03 02:13 AM
    Have you brought it into an Apple Store for possible transfer?
    if that wont work, some questions -
    How old is the device?
    How old are the cables?
    When did this begin, precisely?
    Did anything start this or acted as a suspected catalyst?
    Have you tried different computers?
    2009-08-03 04:10 PM
    i brought to the Apple store today, and the guy there said the dock connector is probably bad. he tried 2 of his cables, and it wouldnt respond.

so, i guess this thing is getting pitched in the trash, because im not paying $100+ for a new main board.
    2009-08-03 08:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD