So I've been trying to restore my iPod a few times now, every time I get an 'unknown error' message. I've put it into DFU mode and still no luck. Any ideas?
    2010-03-05 11:44 PM
    hmmm that is strange that your iPod is not restoring. A few things you can try is:
    Switching computers
    restarting your computer
    switching usb ports
    and switching between recovery and dfu mode
    If you try the things listed above you should get success I have had this error before to. Make sure you are entering dfu mode right as well you can check this guide for a reference.DFU Reference Guide
    2010-03-06 06:08 AM
    What's the # of the error message?
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something
    2010-03-06 06:34 AM
    Its error #28? I don't know what that means. And i'll try DFU mode again.
    2010-03-06 09:24 PM
    Try recovery instead and this is what apple says error 28 is:

Error 23, 28, 29, 1011, 1012, 1611: These errors may indicate a hardware issue with your device. Follow the steps in this article and also attempt to restore while connected to a known-good computer and network to isolate this issue to the device. If the IMEI or MAC address is missing or is a default value, this can also confirm a hardware issue.
    If you wanna thank me hit "Thanks" in the lower left of my post. If you would like to follow me on twitter click here
    2010-03-09 12:55 AM
    I've tried every kind of restore...DFU then restore...jailbreak then restore...EVERYTHING. Nothing seems to work. It throws me an error right before the software begins to download. I found a few good leads on this forum but none of them worked for me. I really don't know where do go from here....

Try recovery instead and this is what apple says error 28 is:

Error 23, 28, 29, 1011, 1012, 1611: These errors may indicate a hardware issue with your device. Follow the steps in this article and also attempt to restore while connected to a known-good computer and network to isolate this issue to the device. If the IMEI or MAC address is missing or is a default value, this can also confirm a hardware issue.
    2010-03-09 03:27 AM
    Assuming that you have tried restoring from another machine, this may be a hardware issue, judging by error 28. Take it to your local apple store and show them, they will probably replace it if you don't mention it's jailbroken.
    2010-03-09 03:36 AM
    I bought it off eBay, so would they replace it even if it's not under warranty?

Assuming that you have tried restoring from another machine, this may be a hardware issue, judging by error 28. Take it to your local apple store and show them, they will probably replace it if you don't mention it's jailbroken.
    2010-03-09 04:08 AM
    O my apologizes I did not realize it was used. In any case #28 indicates hardware failure, in this case it sounds like logic board sorry man
    2010-03-09 04:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD