Hello guys, I'm a new member and I wasn't sure which board to post this question in so I chose this one. Anyway...

I'm having a serious problem with my iPod Touch 2g 8gig. Yesterday I could've sworn my iPod had 300ish megabytes free, but now today it says I have 0 bytes free. My first thought was to go and delete some stuff. I deleted almost all my themes and a lot of photos (together easily over 300mb). However, it still said I had 0 bytes free (after rebooting of course). I then plugged it into iTunes to see if it was different. I noticed that 2gb was taken up by "other" (which seemed like a lot). So I tried to transfer my purchases and then all that "other" date disappeared and said I had 2gigs free. I check my iPod which still said I had 0 bytes free. After closing iTunes and opening it again it said I had 0 bytes free.

I have no clue what is going on here. This doesn't make any sense in my mind (I delete stuff but it doesn't go away). I also cleared my cache (using iWipe) and I used some other app from cydia to "zero free space your iPhones user partition."

I really need help. This is causing my iPod to run super slow and I can't download anything else. Thank you so much.

Ok, now things just got even worse. I decided to remove a playlist from my iPod to gain some space and now it says I have firmware "n/a" Whenever I boot my iPod Touch it goes to safemode and I can't get to "regular" mode.
    Last edited by iLoveMaine; 2010-03-15 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-03-15 02:49 AM
    hmmm I am actually not too sure what is happening to your iPod Touch. It could actually be several things. One it could be your harddrive is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced. When did you buy your iPod? Or two it could be an virus which wouldn't really make sense but there are some going around. Check out this Post for more Info
    I honestly dont think it would be a virus more likely it is hard drive problems. My only suggestion to fix things would be to do a full restore and then see how things go. If not then I suggest seeing if you still have warranty! Hope this helps! StanHell
    2010-03-15 06:54 AM
    i have a 32GB 3GS and this morning (i have 2gb free) i now get errors when saving files and settings>about says i have 0bytes space

Like A Boss
    2010-03-15 11:38 AM
    smae thing is happening to me. i had a couple gigs free when i went to sleep, but when i woke up i had zero bytes of free space and deleting things is not freeing up any.
    2010-03-15 04:05 PM
    same thing here, I've erased over a gig and I can go to settings/about and watch the free space disappear!! WTF!! are we all being hit by a virus?

has anyone found a solution other than restoring? and if so is there a way to back up my cydia apps? I don't want to look for them all from scratch again
    Last edited by 12gage; 2010-03-16 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-03-16 09:09 PM
    same thing happens to me trying to restore atm. hope for the best, the damn thing is only 2 months old

edit: it helped, now there is 29.1 out of 29.3 memory left. time to restore my ipod
    Last edited by guymach; 2010-03-16 at 09:27 PM.
    2010-03-16 09:14 PM
    that's what I was gonna try, I'm just stuck at work ATM. Could you post your results please, also are you backing up and restoring any of your Cydia/App store apps? could you also say how that works out? thanks in advance.
    2010-03-16 09:35 PM
    While in safemode (since my firmware is recognized as NA it doesn't work any other way) I downloaded the Cydia app AptBackup (supposed to backup your Cydia apps after you restore and jailbreak). I proceeded to restore and jailbreak, only probably was it couldn't restore the backup I made before restoration (because the firmware was not recognized). Anyway, the restore did fix the memory bug, but if your firmware is being recognized as NA then a backup WILL NOT HELP AS IT WILL NOT BE RESTORED.
    2010-03-16 10:55 PM
    has anyone tried just restarting/turning off? My iPod is tethered so I almost never restart/turn off. since I'm stuck at work I can't try until later.

I found this somewhere else, I going to try it when I get home I hope it helps everyone else

"Hey. I signed up just to help you. As I know what the problem is. Don't worry because you're not the only one to have this, it happened to a ton of people. It's easily fixed too.

I made a thread on another forum on how to fix it and here is what you do to fix it:

Quote:
    * First thing you need to do, is reboot your iphone. The log file (which is the file that is taking up all your memory).

* Second thing you want to do, is get into Cydia and remove rock. (If you have something like Cydelete, don't use it for this. Use Cydia.) (if it doesn't remove, try using the blackrain app to remove it)

* Last but not least, you should get an app like iFile, and remove the RYP folder from var/mobile/Library/RYP or SSH into your device.
    The problem is that the app "Rock" has shat out a huge multigigabyte file for most people. The file is in var/mobile/library/ryp/logs/"

I just looked at my log file with iFile and it was 1.8 gig's. I deleted but couldn't see any reflection in my space, probably will after I reboot.
    Last edited by 12gage; 2010-03-16 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-03-16 11:52 PM
    has anyone tried just restarting/turning off? My iPod is tethered so I almost never restart/turn off. since I'm stuck at work I can't try until later.

I found this somewhere else, I going to try it when I get home I hope it helps everyone else

"Hey. I signed up just to help you. As I know what the problem is. Don't worry because you're not the only one to have this, it happened to a ton of people. It's easily fixed too.

I made a thread on another forum on how to fix it and here is what you do to fix it:

Quote:
    * First thing you need to do, is reboot your iphone. The log file (which is the file that is taking up all your memory).

* Second thing you want to do, is get into Cydia and remove rock. (If you have something like Cydelete, don't use it for this. Use Cydia.) (if it doesn't remove, try using the blackrain app to remove it)

* Last but not least, you should get an app like iFile, and remove the RYP folder from var/mobile/Library/RYP or SSH into your device.
    The problem is that the app "Rock" has shat out a huge multigigabyte file for most people. The file is in var/mobile/library/ryp/logs/"

I just looked at my log file with iFile and it was 1.8 gig's. I deleted but couldn't see any reflection in my space, probably will after I reboot.
    Tell me how that goes because that very well could be the problem (I did have Rock installed on my iPod Touch). If that happens to be the problem (and the fix) it would be nice for this thread to stickied so other people know how to fix it.
    2010-03-17 01:57 AM
    it worked, I rebooted, made it rain and I have my memory back!!!
    2010-03-17 06:50 AM
    Ok, so you deleted the Rock App through Cydia, removed the RYP folder, rebooted, and then ran blackra1n on your computer to get the memory back?
    2010-03-17 10:53 PM
    now I'm again stuck at work with the same problem I didn't delete ROCK, I just deleted the file which brought all of my memory back after rebooting, I thought it was solved but it just took longer to mess up again. So now when I get home I'll delete ROCK, the file, reboot, re-ra1n, and see what happens.
    2010-03-18 12:06 AM
    I've got my self a whole load of problems here: got the memory issue, rebooted my phone then all my apps are gone and cydia and rock won't open. Sbsettings doesn't work properly can send txt and can read my emails. And winterboard isn't working right either. All that thanks to rock. Won't be installing that again after re-jailbreaking.

Morning all just a quick update: last night before I went to bed I gave it a last reboot, and opened cydia soon as, and it worked tryed to uninstall rock but got this sub bla bla bla error (2) didn't know what tha all ment but I still couldn't install or uninstall anything. So I went and open rock which also worked done it's update which seems to have worked and sorted my memory issue, then Back to cydia to uninstall rock. So now my phone is back to so sort of jailbreaking standard. Now my problem is that all my apps are still
    missing, then show up on sbsettings and in iFile. But not on springboard and also my phone shows I have 6gb left wen I should have only about 2gb at the most. Need help to recover my apps pl anyone. Rant over. Thanks
    Last edited by mintyfrench; 2010-03-18 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-03-18 11:37 AM
    i deleted rock, the log/whole RYP folder, rebooted, re-ra1ned, and everything is back to normal
    2010-03-18 11:07 PM
    I hate rock. On the whole dont use it, there is no reason to, cydia looks and works better in every way.
    If you wanna thank me hit "Thanks" in the lower left of my post. If you would like to follow me on twitter click here
    2010-03-19 02:41 AM
    Cydia took up tons of space on my ipod.. i delted it and kept icy and i gained alot of space (cant remeber how much it was a few months ago)
    2010-03-21 01:52 AM
    That is actually a bug with rock. Remove rock and reinstall cydia and you'll still have the space
    2010-03-21 07:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD