The number actually fluctuates somewhere between 5%-12% I think Saurik said once depending on the availability of a jailbreak. Still a relatively low number so still proves the point you were making.
    Saurik really bugs me. That 5-12% refers to unique devices, but that just means the device was jailbroken once, not that it stayed as such. In fact, most people I speak to who have heard about jailbreaking (non-tech savvy folk) think is voids the warranty and physically damages the device. Clearly that 5-12% figure doesn't represent the real jailbreak community.

That's not what bugs me about Saurik though. This guy made it his mission to buy / merge with the only competing unofficial AppStore, Rock, but now this guy spends all his time coding for android. I wouldn't mind him switching teams, but did he have to screw us like that first? Rock has some awesome features that he promised to incorporate into Cydia, yet Cydia hasn't added a single new feature in 3 years. What gives?
    They can have my jailbreak when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
    2013-08-14 01:56 AM
    What a completely worthless response.
    You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talking... you talking to me? Well I'm the only one here. Who the f*** do you think you're talking to? Oh yeah? OK.
    2013-08-14 08:20 AM
    The number actually fluctuates somewhere between 5%-12% I think Saurik said once depending on the availability of a jailbreak. Still a relatively low number so still proves the point you were making.
    It doesn't seem to make much sense to compare out of the entire possible user base when it's a well known fact that Apple targets their products at people who are not technically inclined and thus wouldn't have any desire to jail-break, or even that such a thing even exists most like. Therefore, would it not be more meaningful to compare out of the devices owned by more advanced and technical users, that would locally be more likely to jail-break and would yield a much higher percentage, rather than including those that you know would not be likely to jail-break? Granted, that may be a difficult survey to conduct, but I believe my point is more about how people make jail-breaking seem smaller or less popular than it actually may be. Out of the people who would actually potentially have interest and the means and ability to do it, I would wager there are more who do jail-break than who don't.
    2013-08-15 01:33 AM
    It doesn't seem to make much sense to compare out of the entire possible user base when it's a well known fact that Apple targets their products at people who are not technically inclined and thus wouldn't have any desire to jail-break, or even that such a thing even exists most like. Therefore, would it not be more meaningful to compare out of the devices owned by more advanced and technical users, that would locally be more likely to jail-break and would yield a much higher percentage, rather than including those that you know would not be likely to jail-break? Granted, that may be a difficult survey to conduct, but I believe my point is more about how people make jail-breaking seem smaller or less popular than it actually may be. Out of the people who would actually potentially have interest and the means and ability to do it, I would wager there are more who do jail-break than who don't.
    Simon is actually right, or at least right in stating that Saurik stated a percentage of devices that are jailbroken based on unique SHSH blobs. And while I don't know what it is now, when I read the post last year, it was 13% of iOS devices. That's iPhones, iPods, and iPads. So, assuming there are 500 millions iDevices out there, 65 million are jailbroken. I'd say that's a considerable amount of loyalism to free iDevices from Apple's restrictions. Mind you, that was last year.

As far as Apple's "bits and pieces" that they string out to the consumers, I admit that it's likely. However, I own and use Android devices and I can't stress enough how painfully intricate and consuming it is to navigate these devices. Sure, they can be flashy and sometimes useful, but I would take a simplistic, fluid UI like iOS any day. Jailbreaking does provide awesome tweaks that greatly enhance the already decent UI, but its not like Apple doesn't know and respect that these tweaks are useful. I'd imagine that 65 million I mentioned earlier had something to do with Apple integrating these tweaks. It's a love/hate thing. Enemies with a mutual understanding.

One last thing ... the community that makes up the jailbreaking scene is richer and protective to the consumer a great deal more than any Android "jailbreak-like" community. There's just something ultimately better and rewarding in the Cydia repos and to all the developers that make these tweaks, themes, and games for us. After all these years, I can't find myself needing a change.
    2013-08-16 07:10 AM
    Simon is actually right, or at least right in stating that Saurik stated a percentage of devices that are jailbroken based on unique SHSH blobs. And while I don't know what it is now, when I read the post last year, it was 13% of iOS devices. That's iPhones, iPods, and iPads. So, assuming there are 500 millions iDevices out there, 65 million are jailbroken. I'd say that's a considerable amount of loyalism to free iDevices from Apple's restrictions. Mind you, that was last year.
    While I don't doubt you, Simon, or Saurik with the numbers, what I have always wondered, though, is if the number is affected by people using UDID Faker type tweaks some people could possibly have the same value. I'm not 100% certain but that would likely be what he's using to keep track of such things (at least that's the only identifying value I've seen contained in HTTP packets going out from Cydia before) and if I'm right then the number of actual jail broken devices could be a tad higher than reported. Then again, maybe he had taken that possibility into account when he posted the numbers.
    2013-08-16 06:24 PM
    While I don't doubt you, Simon, or Saurik with the numbers, what I have always wondered, though, is if the number is affected by people using UDID Faker type tweaks some people could possibly have the same value. I'm not 100% certain but that would likely be what he's using to keep track of such things (at least that's the only identifying value I've seen contained in HTTP packets going out from Cydia before) and if I'm right then the number of actual jail broken devices could be a tad higher than reported. Then again, maybe he had taken that possibility into account when he posted the numbers.
    I don't believe that Saurik uses or has ever used UDIDs. The SHSH blob is just what it sounds like; a line of code that is unique to every device and cannot be changed. When we jailbreak our devices, use Cydia for the first time, Cydia prepares the device an I believe it is during this prep that the SHSH blob is recorded for downgrade and unlocking purposes. At least, it use to be. SHSH seems easier to track and doesn't violate the privacy or compromise security of the device.

I suppose there are questions we have about the validity of those numbers, but the bottom line is, there are still millions of jailbreak users in the community. And my point still remains that there is no community by comparison with that of Android. Now that I say it again, that is probably why Android is so unorganized and wildly complex. Hmm. Never thought of it that way until now, but it does make some sense. IMHO
    2013-08-16 06:56 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD