1. Akshay Masand's Avatar


    According to the newest market share data from Net Applications, OS X 10.9 Mavericks continues to gain popularity, overtaking previous versions of OS X like Mountain Lion and Lion in November of 2013. First introduced on October 22, Mavericks is Apple’s newest operating system and the first version of OS X to be released free to consumers.

    During November, Mavericks gained 1.58% growing from 0.84% of total operating system market share to 2.42% while other versions of OS X lost share. OS X Mountain Lion ended up dropping 1.48% to 1.85%, while OS X 10.7 Lion dropped 0.22% to 1.34%. OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard ended up dropping 0.07% to 1.53% and OS X 10.5 dropped 0.01% to 0.32%. Though the market share for Mavericks has continued to grow steadily since its release, overall OS X market share, at 7.56%, remains dwarfed by the market share for Windows, which is at 90.88% with Windows 7 being the most popular Windows operating system.

    Although the data from Net Applications shows Mavericks gaining ground over its predecessors, data from GoSquared suggests that though Mavericks usage has continued to rise over the course of the last month, it continues to lag behind OS X 10.8 and OS X 10.7. According to the data, Mavericks usage is at nearly 21%, compared to 31% for 10.8% and 24% for 10.7.

    The difference in the data between the two is likely due to the number of visitors tracked and the different sites being monitored but both points suggest that Apple’s strategy of delivering the update free to all users has worked favorably for the company, encouraging users to upgrade to the latest software.

    Have you updated to OS X Mavericks?

    Source: GoSquared, Net Applications

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand
    2013-12-03 04:44 AM
  2. Scotty Manley Silberhorn's Avatar
    I didn't know there was an OSX 10.8%
    2013-12-03 04:34 PM
  3. Jato_BZ's Avatar
    My MBP is still on 10.8.4 (originally 10.5) & 3 of my iDevices on iOS6 jailbroken! I don't see the point in hurrying out to update. If it works for you on the older firmware theres no need...
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor
    2013-12-03 07:02 PM
  4. Scotty Manley Silberhorn's Avatar
    My MBP is still on 10.8.4 (originally 10.5) & 3 of my iDevices on iOS6 jailbroken! I don't see the point in hurrying out to update. If it works for you on the older firmware theres no need...
    If 10.8 works for you, then 10.9 will work for you too and be more efficient. 10.9 is kind of like the 10.6 version in regards to it doesn't have a lot of user features but makes everything faster and more efficient.
    2013-12-03 07:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD