Haunted Empire, a new release from former Wall Street Journal reporter Yukari Iwatani Kane, is a book that examines the transition Apple has had after death of Steve Jobs. Although there are interesting parts to the book, it has been reported that Kane decided on a few anecdotes to support an already decided conclusion that points toward Apple being in a decline.

According to CNBC, Apple CEO, Tim Cook took an unusual step in issuing a statement about the book, which debuted today, saying it was nonsense.

This nonsense belongs with some of the other books I've read about Apple. It fails to capture Apple, Steve, or anyone else in the company. Apple has over 85,000 employees that come to work each day to do their best work, to create the world's best products, to put their mark in the universe and leave it better than they found it. This has been the heart of Apple from day one and will remain at the heart for decades to come. I am very confident about our future. We've always had many doubters in our history. They only make us stronger.
    In response to Tim Cook’s statement, Kane also gave a statement to Re/code regarding what was said about her book:

For Tim Cook to have such strong feelings about the book, it must have touched a nerve. Even I was surprised by my conclusions, so I understand the sentiment. I'm happy to speak with him or anyone at Apple in public or private. My hope in writing this book was to be thought-provoking and to start a conversation which I'm glad it has.
    Apple fans wait for some of the major releases for 2014 as this book is released. The company recently released a new 8GB iPhone 5c to many countries to offer a cheaper option that works with LTE networks and also replaced the iPad 2 with an older 16GB fourth-generation iPad as a low-end model.

Source: CNBC, Re/code
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 2014-03-19 at 07:17 AM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand
    2014-03-19 07:14 AM
    Tim Cook is a f**king d**k!! He is no where near to what Steve Jobs was.
    Cook is more interested in selling his f**king junk rather than supporting previous gen devices and innovating something that people will actually buy... you can shove 5C up you a** Cook!

example... iOS7 breaking the wifi on majority of 4S devices that are out of warranty... Clearly shows that they never tested it on older devices... only on the 5/5S devices... iOS 7 slowing down iPhone 4 devices... was never meant to run on it... totally ridiculous support!

A pity to see such a great company going downhill with Cook
    Last edited by jigar7; 2014-03-19 at 09:04 AM.
    2014-03-19 09:02 AM
    Cook is more interested in selling his f**king junk rather than supporting previous gen devices and innovating something that people will actually buy... you can shove 5C up you a** Cook!

example... iOS7 breaking the wifi on majority of 4S devices that are out of warranty... Clearly shows that they never tested it on older devices... only on the 5/5S devices... iOS 7 slowing down iPhone 4 devices... was never meant to run on it... totally ridiculous support!

Clearly you don't know what your talking about.
    2014-03-19 09:09 AM

Steve Jobs was a d**k too.

No, really. Steve Jobs was a huge d**k.
    2014-03-19 09:16 AM

Well...actually Steve wasnīt any better nor worse. Theyīre both business men. Tim is taking the company in a different direction than what Steve may have taken it.

Also, yes iOS 7 is a major pain for iPhone 4 and 4s users, but remember the update isnīt forced on you. You donīt turn on your phone to have it update automatically without permission, unless you had to restore the phone. It was a no brainer that iOS 7 would fail on older devices, because itīs happened before with the previous firmwares.

Moral of the story? Appleīs been sucking even when Steve was still around, and will continue to suck.
    2014-03-19 11:47 AM
    I think Tim is feeling the pressure of innovation. Meaning, he has not created anything innovative since taking the helm at Apple. Steve had years of innovation. He will always be compared to his mentor. For him to even acknowledge the statements of the book, means it did strike a nerve. There is usually a little truth in any lie..its what makes you believe it. If Kane is writing nonsense, why is one of the worlds most profitable company chiefs responding to it?
    2014-03-19 02:52 PM
    Cook is more interested in selling his f**king junk rather than supporting previous gen devices and innovating something that people will actually buy...
    You mean a for-profit company in a capitalist society wants you to buy more from them rather than hang onto your old obsolete products for ages and ages? Please, tell me more...

By the way, Apple is constantly innovating. They have a marked history of secrecy and in coming to market with things on their own schedule, in their own time, when they feel that their product is polished and the market is ready for it. Products like the iPod appeared practically out of thin air, and others like the iPhone were rumored for over a year before any official word. Tim's already said that the next year or so will see Apple enter new market categories, but in classic Apple fashion, he won't say what or exactly when. Live with it.
    Last edited by PCYoda; 2014-03-19 at 03:50 PM.
    2014-03-19 03:46 PM
    Also, yes iOS 7 is a major pain for iPhone 4 and 4s users, but remember the update isnīt forced on you. You donīt turn on your phone to have it update automatically without permission, unless you had to restore the phone.
    While it's not forced as long as your device is running normal, it is forced if you have no other recourse but to restore for whatever reason, as you said at the end of the above quote, so your first claim is only a half-truth on the matter.
    2014-03-19 06:44 PM
    Steve jobs had that my way or the highway attitude.
    2014-03-19 08:27 PM
    Why no minorities Tim?
    2014-03-20 05:18 AM
    No one is going to value your opinion when you talk like that Jigar...

Anyway, sigh.. writers man..

That response was just textbook crap. Redirection in his favor. This is why people who are targetted by the media generally ignore them because of the way they talk. It's no conversation, it's just them trying to get attention and then using generic responses like this to try and act like it proves their points correct or the like.
    2014-03-20 05:35 AM
    You mean a for-profit company in a capitalist society wants you to buy more from them rather than hang onto your old obsolete products for ages and ages? Please, tell me more...

By the way, Apple is constantly innovating. They have a marked history of secrecy and in coming to market with things on their own schedule, in their own time, when they feel that their product is polished and the market is ready for it. Products like the iPod appeared practically out of thin air, and others like the iPhone were rumored for over a year before any official word. Tim's already said that the next year or so will see Apple enter new market categories, but in classic Apple fashion, he won't say what or exactly when. Live with it.
    iPhone 4S is not obsolete in any way. I have both iPhone 5 and 4S. To me they seem quite equal in everyday tasks, except for the improved camera, and bigger screen. I want Apple to keep making 3.5" iPhones, because some people (like my girlfriend) believe it or not, don't particularly like having to hurt their hands to use a smartphone. At some point the iPhone 4S will become obsolete, and it will be a pain for a lot of people, if they have to buy a 4" phone.

The iPod did definitely not appear out of thin air. Apple had already launched iTunes, so making hardware to match it wasn't a far stretch. There were already lots of good mp3 players around before iPod. iPod was just easier to use, and had a lot of storage, compared to other mp3 players at the time. I agree that Apple makes great products, but sometimes they act like d*cks too, like in this case with Tim Cook.
    2014-03-20 11:46 AM
    me: "yukari Kane is a proven child molester."

*** media republishes my conclusion numerous times ***

Kane: "that is absurd and slanderous, and if nova doesn't stop spreading that lie, I'll sue."

Me: "jeez, for Kane to have such a strong reaction means I must have touched a nerve."

see how that works?
    2014-03-20 11:52 AM
    me: "yukari Kane is a proven child molester."

*** media republishes my conclusion numerous times ***

Kane: "that is absurd and slanderous, and if nova doesn't stop spreading that lie, I'll sue."

Me: "jeez, for Kane to have such a strong reaction means I must have touched a nerve."

see how that works?
    Lol nice! I see what you did their.
    2014-03-22 05:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD