Remember that old rumor about Apple coming out with a connected HDTV? Well, for the last six months, that rumor has been dead.

Until now.

The rumor's resurrection comes to us via another rumor - Apple's forthcoming acquisition of Beats, an iconic headphone maker and music streaming operator. Famed Steve Jobs biographer Walter Isaacson thinks he knows why Apple wants Beats. And it's not what you (or we) were likely thinking.

The celebrated scribe, according to Billboard, thinks the Apple-Beats deal is "not about headphones or streaming music but rather is about video."

He speculates that Cook wants Iovine to run Apple’s content business and help Apple launch the TV product that analysts have been gossiping about for years. The product has been held up because Apple can’t get all the content owners on board.
    If a connected HDTV product is truly on tap for Apple, the company will need to have ample content partners in place to make the platform viable and highly competitive. This may explain why Apple is purportedly so eager to spend north of $3 billion for Beats.

Source: Billboard
    2014-05-20 02:42 AM
    I'm going to assume the app is either down or you attempted to block me from commenting because of all my truth posts about beats being for "welfare users".
    2014-05-20 07:54 PM
    What does he mean here ? Purchasing an audio content provider and audio hardware maker billions to help their ... TV product ? This does not make sense to me.
    2014-05-20 09:54 PM
    I'm not sure of the point if this article either. I'm wondering if he's trying to say that Apple wants to use beats speakers in the TV set? Highly confused with this one.
    2014-05-20 10:01 PM
    I'm not sure of the point if this article either. I'm wondering if he's trying to say that Apple wants to use beats speakers in the TV set? Highly confused with this one.
    Click the Billboard link from the source at the bottom of the article. It give you a better understanding of the reasoning. Basically Iovine, was instrumental in getting the music industry to use itunes back in 2002 and they was to use him to do the same for their TV/video content.
    2014-05-21 10:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD