Effectively breaking the hearts of everyone hoping to get their hands on Apple's first smartwatch this year, Re/Code's John Paczkowski says iWatch will be shown off next week, but it won't get here until early 2015.

Bummer, huh?

"So that new wearable device Apple is introducing on September 9? Itís going to be a while before anyone is actually wearing it. Sources in position to know tell me it wonít arrive at market for a few months," Paczkowski penned Friday.

To quote Paczkowski's source: ďItís not shipping anytime soon.Ē

If today's report is accurate, it corroborates earlier claims that supply channel difficulties have hampered production to such a degree that the comprehensive product rollout Apple has been planning in time for the holidays simply can't happen.

And, let's not forget, this isn't exactly an unprecedented move for Apple.

"Remember, Apple didnít ship the first iPhone until six months after its January unveiling. Which is not to say that the gap between announcement and ship date will be that long, just that it would be unwise to expect preorders for the device to begin on the Friday following its unveiling," Paczkowski concludes.

Source: Re/code
    2014-08-29 06:50 PM
    Highly unlikely! Yes, Apple did announce the iPhone 6 months in advance, but at that time it was lightyears ahead of any other device in terms of quality, OS, and sleekness. It broke ground in many ways of making some existing clunky concepts sleek and extraordinary. Also, there werenít many people interested in smartphones and working feverishly at developing them, so it was kind of out of left field and took everyone by surprise. The Best competitor, the Android G1, didnít come for like a year and it was really rough compared to the iPhone.

With a smartwatch there are already many players, with some already producing very high quality products, like the Moto360, and others hot and heavy in R&D. I donít think thereís any way Apple will spill the beans and give others the opportunity to catch up before Apple can start shipping. I just donít think thereís enough unique and useful things Apple can do with a watch to make it stand out and still be ahead after 6 months.

And when you think about it logically, it just doesnít make sense to unveil so early. Why unveil now when you can do it in February? The only reason I can think of to get people to keep from spending their money on smartwatches now and wait for Appleís. But the only smartwatches really in the game are all Android, and I donít think many people are jumping platforms for a watch.
    2014-08-29 09:51 PM
    Highly unlikely! Yes, Apple did announce the iPhone 6 months in advance, but at that time it was lightyears ahead of any other device in terms of quality, OS, and sleekness. It broke ground in many ways of making some existing clunky concepts sleek and extraordinary. Also, there werenít many people interested in smartphones and working feverishly at developing them, so it was kind of out of left field and took everyone by surprise. The Best competitor, the Android G1, didnít come for like a year and it was really rough compared to the iPhone.

With a smartwatch there are already many players, with some already producing very high quality products, like the Moto360, and others hot and heavy in R&D. I donít think thereís any way Apple will spill the beans and give others the opportunity to catch up before Apple can start shipping. I just donít think thereís enough unique and useful things Apple can do with a watch to make it stand out and still be ahead after 6 months.

And when you think about it logically, it just doesnít make sense to unveil so early. Why unveil now when you can do it in February? The only reason I can think of to get people to keep from spending their money on smartwatches now and wait for Appleís. But the only smartwatches really in the game are all Android, and I donít think many people are jumping platforms for a watch.
    Another reason is to beat someone to the punch with their idea. Let's say that the watch does something unique and unexpected, but they took too much time perfecting it and a competitor gets wind of their idea and plans to beat them to market with an flawed implementation or imperfect product. By announcing their first, they steal the competitor's thunder and get to claim that it was their idea.
    2014-08-31 06:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD